LTK: Heller and the stinger

ATPrescottATPrescott Posts: 39MI6 Agent
edited November 2006 in The James Bond Films
Did Bond give up Heller on purpose when he said Sanchez: "It's the last you've seen of Heller and the stingers?" or did he just accidently slip it? ?:)

I've always thought he just slipped it without thinking as it would have made no sense to allow Sanchez find Heller and shoot an american airliner, right? :s

Comments

• RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Sure Bond gave Heller up on purpose. He wanted Sanchez to believe that people in his organization were betraying him, so he would in essence take his own organization apart. Just as he set up Krest, Bond set up Heller to be killed by Sanchez.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    This was a great scene...it reminds me a lot of Connery's attempts to escape the laser in GF. As Bond was headed for his doom on the conveyer belt, he was obviously throwing out every seed of information that would forestall his eminent demise in the shredder. I'm sure Bond was thinking that if he were to die, there's no reason to not take Heller with him, especially if it might make Sanchez think Bond is more loyal than Heller.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    It goes back to what Bond heard earlier in the movie: that Sanchez values loyalty above all else. By making Sanchez question his underlings' loyalty (he also planted seeds of doubt regarding Truman Lodge), Bond essentially got Sanchez to do most of his dirty work for him.
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    Yeah he set up Heller and Krest, but by the conveyor belt scene he wasn't concerned with appearing loyal any more, jsut wanted to get a chance to escape.

I thought that the sub-plot of Heller, Pam, and the stingers was rather under-done in the movie, I thought it needed to be fleshed out more. Instead it seemed to have been inserted almost as an afterthought, an excuse to give some motivation for extra scheming and double-dealing, as wel las providing a handy escape from the convey belt for Bond. We don't even get to see Heller die, or know exactly what happened, so we can assume that the filmmakers thought in the same way.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    We don't even get to see Heller die, or know exactly what happened, so we can assume that the filmmakers thought in the same way.

Well, for me a forklifted corpse is a good enough hint on what happened. ;)