Re: Non-Smoking Bond... have you noticed?

Loeffelholz wrote:

One must wonder whether Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon---not to mention all of the classic Bonds---ought to be retro-fitted with an 'R' rating   ajb007/rolleyes

I don't think they are talking about the Bond films. I would imagine that they are talking about American Pie 4 or any other teen film which has attained a fair degree of success. ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Dan Same (12th May 2007 11:06)

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

The problem is it doesn't only affect the smoker themselves.

s96024 wrote:

The problem is it doesn't only affect the smoker themselves.

True, but I still don't think that smoking should be banned.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Dan Same wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

One must wonder whether Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon---not to mention all of the classic Bonds---ought to be retro-fitted with an 'R' rating   ajb007/rolleyes

I don't think they are talking about the Bond films. I would imagine that they are talking about American Pie 4 or any other teen film which has attained a fair degree of success. ajb007/biggrin

I'm guesing that American Pie 4, or other so-called 'teen films,' will have other, more valid, reasons for an 'R' rating  ajb007/embarrassed

This smoking thing, IMO, is politically correct nonsense---a minor symptom of a much larger problem.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Dan Same wrote:

It must also be noted, that some of my friends have had no problem whatsoever getting drugs, even though it is illegal.

Hey Dan, what a coincidence!  I also had friends who enjoyed illegal drugs!  Does anyone else here similarly "have friends" of the mellow persuasion?  Maybe we can form a virtual circle.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

superado wrote:

...what a coincidence!  I also had friends who enjoyed illegal drugs!  Does anyone else here similarly "have friends" of the mellow persuasion?  Maybe we can form a virtual circle.

The coincidence widens...I, too, "have friends" of this nature---and they are similarly unaffected by various laws currently on the books  ajb007/cool

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Loeffelholz wrote:
superado wrote:

...what a coincidence!  I also had friends who enjoyed illegal drugs!  Does anyone else here similarly "have friends" of the mellow persuasion?  Maybe we can form a virtual circle.

The coincidence widens...I, too, "have friends" of this nature---and they are similarly unaffected by various laws currently on the books  ajb007/cool

Hey Loeffs, tell your "friend" to please pass the duchie to my "friend" on the left hand side ajb007/lol

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

ajb007/shifty  ajb007/biggrin

You know it's funny I was watching OHMSS the other day and I realized that in CR Bond doesn't smoke. It  hadn't occurred to me and I had wondered if anyone else noticed. I'm glad he doesn't smoke, I think it's much classier and cleaner of him not to. Also remember that "back in the day" smoking in movies was very common and I think especially in the 80's where there was so much use of everything. But it's good to see that we have embraced a somewhat healthier social image in this century.:D

*~Orbis Non Sufficit~*

For me the fact that 007 doesn't smoke adds up.

I always thought in the more recent films it would have been daft for a secret agent who has to maintain a level of health and fitness standards to be puffing away like a furnace. I don't miss it.  Nice to see how he started to knock back the licker though!

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?