GE: Tank Chase

Was the Goldeneye Tank chase filmed actually in St Petersburg or was it shot at Leavesden and doubled for St Petersburg?

Comments

• Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    From what I understand, most of the tank chase was shot in St. Petersburg but complaints came out that the Bond team's chase was shaking the foundations of some of the buildings and had to move it. No one knows how founded those claims were, however.

Hope that helped!
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    Thanks for your help TC.

I read somewhere that filming did take place at Leavesden but I'm not sure which scenes those were, although that may be the train scenes?
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    St Petersburg was used for all of the shots by the canal, and the moment when the tank swings out and does a spin in front of the large building with the columns out front.

Everything else was at Leavesden. Here's the giveaway; look at the building in the distance in silhouette against the sky at the end of the street. You'll notice it's exactly the same building every time, where the St Petersburg "street" was used and redressed over and over. Also bear in mind that none of the actors actually filmed in Russia, so anything with the Brozzer hanging out of the tank etc was filmed in the UK.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Also, that bloody brown volvo appears about a million times in the English version of St Petersburg. Its at the airport, couple of establishing shots - including a bit that was deleted. Then the time it swerved to avoid the tank.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    From what I understand, most of the tank chase was shot in St. Petersburg but complaints came out that the Bond team's chase was shaking the foundations of some of the buildings and had to move it.

If what we see on screen was scripted from the start, I can't imagine they ever intended to shoot everything on location. However, as I understood it, the mayor's wife saw rushes, failed to comprehend that plaster facades were being destroyed--not actual buildings--and put an immediate stop to filming.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    So now the Mayor's Wife of St. Petersburg is the most hated woman in Bond history... ;)
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    However, as I understood it, the mayor's wife saw rushes, failed to comprehend that plaster facades were being destroyed--not actual buildings--and put an immediate stop to filming.

It was HOW she stoped filming...got the mafia onto them and presto.

It was funny I was thinking of the defence minister's line "Russia may have changed, but the penalty for terrorism is still death." Seems appropriate in the last few days.

Of course, these are two almost completely unrelated thoughts about Russia - just let me keep on babbling here.

And JFF - no, she isnt the most hated woman, and I think you know who im hinting at;)
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    One more peep out of you taity and I'll turn it into another "I Love AVTAK" thread. ;)
    Eeep, so tempted...can't resist...no, for the good of mankind...

Its funny, I watched DAD last night and the entire time i was watching the car chase all that occoured to me was how much better than tank chase was. The new DVD has some pretty sweet extra footage of the tank hitting the Perrier truck.