Crichton- Author (NO SPOILERS)

Michael Crichton is a great author. (wrote jurassic park ect.) he came out witha new book Next I was wondering if anybody's read it. Spoiler free please also if anybody else read any other of hiss books. or you can simply post you've never heard of him. He also directeda few films (WestWorld)

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Not to pick a fight with you, PierceBrosnan335, but I think Crichton is a terrible writer. Sure, he's come up with some interesting and clever ideas, but his plotting is weak, his characters are cardboard, and his dialogue only serves the purpose of advancing the story or explaining what's going on. I read State of Fear and found the footnotes and Crichton's conclusion far more interesting than the contrived and silly story he came up with, which makes me wonder why he didn't just write a non-fiction book giving his views about global warming. (Wait--I know why! Because it's easier to get a movie deal out of a fiction book than a non-fiction one!) I honestly have never read a Michael Crichton book I've liked, so I'll say "next" to Next--you can have him, Pierce!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Pierce Brosnan335Pierce Brosnan335 Posts: 46MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    Your enitled to your views but I happen to love how he gets his ideas and creates intresting and creative chracters. Also he does write some non-fiction.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited December 2006
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Not to pick a fight with you, PierceBrosnan335, but I think Crichton is a terrible writer. Sure, he's come up with some interesting and clever ideas, but his plotting is weak, his characters are cardboard, and his dialogue only serves the purpose of advancing the story or explaining what's going on. I read State of Fear and found the footnotes and Crichton's conclusion far more interesting than the contrived and silly story he came up with, which makes me wonder why he didn't just write a non-fiction book giving his views about global warming. (Wait--I know why! Because it's easier to get a movie deal out of a fiction book than a non-fiction one!) I honestly have never read a Michael Crichton book I've liked, so I'll say "next" to Next--you can have him, Pierce!

I have to second that...I vowed never to read another Crichton book after Timeline and like a sucker I bought Prey off the 'bargain books' section and regretted it. He has some great ideas, but his characters seem like hollow automatons who are just bizarre masters of ceremonies for the scientific aspects of the plots...kind of like the robots in Westworld.

I will give him some credit, though. I watched his film The Great Train Robbery and listened to his director's commentary...it was very interesting and enthralling as he detailed not just the making of the movie, but some of his 'secular' insights into the filmmaking industry.

But you know the clearest sign of his 'selling-out' to the movies. When he wrote the sequel to Jurassic Park, he had to bring back all of the characters he killed in the book, because they survived in the film version, just so they could make another film - creating one of the worst, dis-jointed book sequels in the history of writing IMO.
    darenhat wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

I have to second that...I vowed never to read another Crichton book after Timeline and like a sucker I bought Prey off the 'bargain books' section and regretted it. He has some great ideas, but his characters seem like hollow automatons who are just bizarre masters of ceremonies for the scientific aspects of the plots...kind of like the robots in Westworld.

I will give him some credit, though. I watched his film The Great Train Robbery and listened to his director's commentary...it was very interesting and enthralling as he detailed not just the making of the movie, but some of his 'secular' insights into the filmmaking industry.

But you know the clearest sign of his 'selling-out' to the movies. When he wrote the sequel to Jurassic Park, he had to bring back all of the characters he killed in the book, because they survived in the film version, just so they could make another film - creating one of the worst, dis-jointed book sequels in the history of writing IMO.

When he wrote The Lost World he didn't "ressurect" any chratcers. Also you guys he is one of the only authors that actually researches what he writes about. He makes good books in my opinoin
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    PB, I'm a professor of literature, and, let me assure you, MOST writers research their stuff. I don't knock Crichton for his research, and I know he writes non-fiction--in fact, I thought his piece on environmentalism as a secular religion was very well done--I simply feel that his plotting, characterization, and dialogue skills are weak. There are much better writers of science fiction and action novels out there. In my opinion, of course.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    When he wrote The Lost World he didn't "ressurect" any chratcers. Also you guys he is one of the only authors that actually researches what he writes about. He makes good books in my opinoin

You're the fan, not me, and I will defer to your knowledge. But I do seem to recall that in the novel Jurassic Park the character of Malcom dies while ruminating upon 'Chaos Theory' whereas in the film Jeff Goldblum's character survives. In The Lost World Crichton brings Malcom back under the pretense that the tales of his demise were greatly exaggerated.
    edited December 2006
    darenhat wrote:

You're the fan, not me, and I will defer to your knowledge. But I do seem to recall that in the novel Jurassic Park the character of Malcom dies while ruminating upon 'Chaos Theory' whereas in the film Jeff Goldblum's character survives. In The Lost World Crichton brings Malcom back under the pretense that the tales of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

Malcom was just hurt. he had injury but got off the island nublar perfectly fine except for the leg injury.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:

Duh, the doctors performed miracles. Out of a moment of boredom, I got out my old edition, and it says
    The did not even permit the burial of Hammond or Ian Malcolm

Thats pretty safe to say he snuffed it.

Also, Im glad that very little of the novel of the Lost World made it into movie - altought we did get a modern day remake of King Kong.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I can do without Crichton's science fiction stuff, but Disclosure and especially Airframe were both quite enjoyable reads.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • jillmastersonfanboyjillmastersonfanboy Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    I read one of his books (congo) and i have to say all though I diddnt want to read the book I certainly did enjoy it. The textual descriptions of Amy were amazing. Sadly I am not fammiliar enough with his work to vouch that he is a good writer in general. I do have to say though that pierce365 did allow this for open topic and should not get offensive when people comment about how they feel about Michael Chrichton. Eve if he is a good friend of mine outside of this forum I'm gonna say ney on his descion to act but, good job of bringing up a chatty topic []){[]
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    I don't think Crighton is a great writer but I have always enjoyed his novels. I do however think that he will be remembered for writing one of the truly great science-fiction novels; The Andromeda Strain. It was an amazing novel which proved IMO that he is capable of high quality writing.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    darenhat wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

That's fine-stick to your guns.However,Crichton stole a title from a superb novel about a hidden portion of the world still inhabited by dinosaurs in the 20th Century without so much as a by-your-leave.In my opinion,Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel The Lost World--published years before the Crichton book ever came into fruition-- is far and away superior to the later book.

The very least Crichton could've and should've done was come up with an original title for his own story.But that's just my opinion.

Next he'll be titling his newer books Gone With the Wind and The Godfather...
    edited December 2006
    darenhat wrote:

That's fine-stick to your guns.However,Crichton stole a title from a superb novel about a hidden portion of the world still inhabited by dinosaurs in the 20th Century without so much as a by-your-leave.In my opinion,Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's novel The Lost World--published years before the Crichton book ever came into fruition-- is far and away superior to the later book.

The very least Crichton could've and should've done was come up with an original title for his own story.But that's just my opinion.

Next he'll be titling his newer books Gone With the Wind and The Godfather...

The last part wasn't funny. I'm not aking it seriously but come on Gone with the wind. Thats a bad comeback. By the way The Lost World was a good book. Not trying to start a fight. Just saying in my opinion. Also Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes was better then The Lost World anyway. I mean I didn't even hear of the book till you mentioned it.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World is a known story. One that's been made into motion pictures and radio programs countless times. Even a television series.

One of the earliest and best versions was the 1925 silent film which Doyle actually lived to see. The effects in this piece were done by a certain Willis O'Brian, the man responsible for King Kong.

Published in 1912, two years before Burroughs gave us Tarzan.

200px-Doyle_lost.jpg

Apologies for coming off blunt, Pierce. Science fiction and Heroic fantasy from the late 19th and early 20th century I've always loved. :)
    Alex wrote:
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World is a known story. One that's been made into motion pictures and radio programs countless times. Even a television series.

One of the earliest and best versions was the 1925 silent film which Doyle actually lived to see. The effects in this piece were done by a certain Willis O'Brian, the man responsible for King Kong.

Published in 1912, two years before Burroughs gave us Tarzan.

200px-Doyle_lost.jpg

Apologies for coming off blunt, Pierce. Science fiction and Heroic fantasy from the late 19th and early 20th century I've always loved. :)

Just to add to this literary footnote: Doyle's The Lost World was an adventure starring his other literary Creation: Professor Challenger, who if I remember correctly, first appeared in an Doyle's adventure novel The Poison Belt. Doyle (in a wierd kind of way) was a "Crichton" of his time, expounding on scientific themes taken to extremes, much like HG Wells. The Poison Belt involved the imminent doom of the Earth as it's orbit took it straight through a wandering band of radiation or something in the cosmos. Interesting idea ( even if it had a bit of a cheapskate ending).
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    By the way The Lost World was a good book. Not trying to start a fight. Just saying in my opinion. Also Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes was better then The Lost World anyway. I mean I didn't even hear of the book till you mentioned it.

I'm not trying to start a fight either.In fact,I think it's great that you've found an author who writes books about subjects you like and that you enjoy his stuff.At the end of the day the most important thing is not always who you choose to read but that you read.

Maybe sometime you'll check out Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.It's a period piece(set only a few years before the First World War) but it influenced any number of later stories and films about dinosaurs existing in some undiscovered land in the Modern World.King Kong drew some inspiration from this novel, and I suspect the original Doyle The Lost World novel proved to be somewhat influential to Crichton when he decided to write his Jurassic Park stuff.Perhaps Crichton's re-use of the long established Conan Doyle title,for one of his own dinosaur stories is meant to be taken as an homage to that earlier science fiction novel. :)
    edited December 2006
    Just finished Congo and Prey. Also I have next and I have just started it. :)