S.D. STUDIOS BOND REPLICAS

SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
Does anyone know if S.D.Studios produced any other Bond replicas outside of the ones we all know (ie. golden gun, wrist dart gun, rebreather, cigarette rocket, golf ball, shark co2 bullet, etc.,)? I'm interested in knowing if they produced the Beretta .25 from Dr. No and the Piton/Laser gun from Goldeneye. Were there any promotional pics released of any of these items before they went out of business?

Comments

• Disco VolanteDisco Volante Surrey, EnglandPosts: 543MI6 Agent
    Certainly the ones you have mentioned are the most well known - I've never heard of anything else they did Bond related so maybe that means they didn't?
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Hmmm ... started to write a quick response then found there were far more items than I realized!

Here's a breakdown based on my files:

Known Produced and Distributed:
    FWRL Attache Case (deluxe and standard)
    FWRL Attache Case Throwing Knife
    Odd Job Bowler (inaccurate but fun)
    GF Golf Ball
    TB Rebreather
    TB Tracer Pill
    YOLT "Baby" Rocket & Cigarette
    OHMSS Radioactive Pocket Lint (!)
    Golden Gun (2 editions)
    Golden Gun Bullet
    MR Wrist Gun
    GE Limpet Mine (only 50 made)
    GE Grenade Pen
    Terrycloth Wrap (as worn in FRWL and TB, included with attache)
    SPECTRE Ring
    Walnut/Glass display case

Some of the above were individual pieces (like the knives and bullets) made in response to demand from collectors who didn't have the budget for an entire Golden Gun or Attache Case.

Production/Distribution Uncertain:
    Walther PPK w/Silencer (gas-powered)
    Red Grant Mauser (metal, moving parts, but non-firing)
    Mounted Golden Gun
    Mounted Wrist Gun
    Vulcan Bomber Model
    1/18 DB5 Model

Doubtful Production:
    Beretta w/Silencer (resin casting)
    Walther P99 (BB guns; TND and TWINE versions)
    Golden Gun/Walther Duel Set

Except for the limpet mine, "Desktop Collection," and ring, the first group was shown in color in various brochures, etc. as were the bowler, Mauser, Beretta, and Walther. (I seem to recall the mine being offered to me by phone; at any rate, it does not appear in any literature.) Save for the ring (which shows-up once in a bad drawing), the rest only appeared in B&W photocopies or as mentions in newsletters, etc.

I don't think they're documented anywhere, but I know from speaking with the president that other GE items like the piton gun and the "floppy disk" and keys were planned; the SDS team visited Pinewood, took photos and measurements, etc.

They also showed an MI6 wristwatch (regular analog watch with a logo face) and produced lots of non-spy memorabilia from films like Judge Dredd (which SDS saw as a major license coup ... too bad the film tanked!), Batman (1989), and more.

I think the only shark pellets that have ever been on the market were made by fans/machinists; they don't appear in any SDS paperwork I have.

Dymszo's (the "D" in "SDS) former partner posts regularly on the Relica Prop Forum under "ed-209;" he's probably the most knowledgable person around and still active in the prop arena if you still have questions.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    PoorMansJB is correct about all the items offered by S.D. Studios. I have but one thing to add and that is that although S.D. Studios claimed that all the Bond props he offered were licensed, only a few were. Ed of Ed-209 runs the The Spyboys and sells props. He's a great guy and has a fabulous collection of Bond and non Bond props that I had the honor to see in person. He is also one of the creators of Yoda's lightsaber and is mentioned in one of the books about Star Wars hardware.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Many thanks to one and all for your input. Thanks Alan for such a detailed list. Happy holidays to everyone.
  • SpectreIslandSpectreIsland spectreislandPosts: 274MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Many thanks to one and all for your input. Thanks Alan for such a detailed list. Happy holidays to everyone.

My brother beat me to the punch. Many, many thanks to everyone who responded. Thanks Alan for the awesome catalog of items. I had no idea such a lengthy list existed. Happy holidays!!!! {[]
  • ohm5sohm5s Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    I bought an SD Studios Odd Job bowler hat from the licencing department of EON. It seems that although I have colour catalogs showing it they never licenced it and I believe it was this and a couple of other pieces that may have caused them to pull the plug on SD Studios. I don't actually know what went on but I believe EON were unhappy about certain things. Its a shame as SD were really ahead of their time. If they were doing this stuff now it would sell like hotcakes, especially at the money. When they hit the market there just was not enough interest outside of hardcore collectors, don't forget when the GG came out there hadn't been a Bond film for 5 or 6 years. Although they are just replicas their appeal is super high and thats why its time for cheaper replicas to come onto the market. Apparently there are 2 people making the FRWL cases and 1 person the Golden Gun. I know one thing, they will probably be just as good as the SD but will certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper! to me there is no difference between a licenced or non licenced replica, they are both copies of something else and the joy is in how well they might compare to the screen item
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    ohm5s wrote:
    I bought an SD Studios Odd Job bowler hat from the licencing department of EON. It seems that although I have colour catalogs showing it they never licenced it and I believe it was this and a couple of other pieces that may have caused them to pull the plug on SD Studios.

You bought an unlicensed item from the licensing department of the licensor ... you'll have to explain that one sometime!;)
    I don't actually know what went on but I believe EON were unhappy about certain things. Its a shame as SD were really ahead of their time. If they were doing this stuff now it would sell like hotcakes, especially at the money. When they hit the market there just was not enough interest outside of hardcore collectors ...

Having spoken with Steve many times when SDS was still operating and now having been in communication with Ed, while I'm not entirely sure what the truth is, I don't think EON had anything to do with the company's demise. Though the stories I've been given are contradictory, EON--in fact, licensing in general--was never mentioned.
    Although they are just replicas their appeal is super high and thats why its time for cheaper replicas to come onto the market. Apparently there are 2 people making the FRWL cases and 1 person the Golden Gun. I know one thing, they will probably be just as good as the SD but will certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper!

I would agree, but I don't think it's going to happen. For one, we're now living in what you apprently perceive as a larger market but the Golden Guns avilable today are more expensive than those first sold by SDS and the cases are expected to cost about the same (though I'm told will be better quality). Two, the reason for that, I think, is that the market really isn't that differet; yes, thanks to the Internet awareness is greater, but so is the product offering. That is, if the SDS GG were the only replica on the market today, I'm certain they'd have no trouble selling-out. Now, though, they'd be competing with Star Wars and Blade Runner and a dozen other replicas and thier respective rabid fans. So the net result in the Bond world would still be about the same in my estimation.

Let's take SideShow as an example: Many of their limited edition figures have yet to sell-out and while the Connery premium edition figure might not be available from Sideshow any longer, it's only because half appear to have been purchased for resale on eBay! And these are a commodity with a much lower price point and roughly the same demographic.
    ... to me there is no difference between a licenced or non licenced replica, they are both copies of something else and the joy is in how well they might compare to the screen item

I agree with that to a point: With a licensed item you generally have some recourse if a supplier does'nt come through or the piece is damaged. And while I've never tracked the auction results--I'm thinking something on the level of Christie's, not eBay--the resale on licensed items would appear to be stronger than unlicensed as catalog descriptions for unlicensed pieces invariably treat that apsect as a negative.

Conversely, while I think licensing offers some protections, it also adds cost. Volume production--the sort of thing ncecessary to keep prices low--isn't possible sub rosa and that means advertising and you don't dare advertise a 007 product without a license. And what with EON having become much more savvy about the Bond "brand," that license doesn't come cheap.
  • ohm5sohm5s Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Crumbs Alan your posts are so long!!!

If the SD Studios Golden Gun was issued now it and at something near the original price it would sell all of its 7500 edition within 6 months.

We are long term collectors and have known each other for years but a lot of people dip in and out of Bond depending on the hype. I was offered £4000 to find a Golden Gun last week. I asked the buyer why so desperate, he had a meeting coming up and the guy he was meeting loved Bond. He wanted it on the wall as an ice breaker!! Go figure the way people think.

Licenced or unlicenced - I guess this depends on what type of collector you are. I just want as much as possible - the disease is uncontrollable. Many people only buy everything that is new, some people buy just to see how much it will be worth in 3 months! For me its ownership vs price. If the same item (exactly the same) is offered licenced or unlicenced at half the price then buy the unlicenced one, I have to question why I want something and in the end its the piece thats important not whether it will go up in value.

Funny old world collecting and its great that we are not all the same.

If you want your Christmas pressy paypal me $10 with your address to nick@tinparadise.com

cheers!!

ps I think EON had been sent the hat by SD, I know they did not like it! the hat is really poor, its a low quality costume hat which is just not up to scratch. I have heard of one that was sold by a German dealer for $2500 !! OUCH
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    I would have to agree that there are some very nice un-licensed Bond props out there that I would not hesitate to get. However, SDS was trading on the idea that all their Bond props were licensed when, indeed, they were not. Some collectors only want the blessing of a license, which I don't agree with, but it's a fact. So SDS was in effect duping some of its customers.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • 037 Scaramanga037 Scaramanga FloridaPosts: 160MI6 Agent
    edited December 2007
    Hi Guys, finally i can show you my props, i don't know how to post pictures directly to
    this site, so i added my pictures at youprops.com
    in order to post a link, the easy way at least for me, i will be adding more items in the near future, hope you enjoy.

http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php?user_name=037+scaramanga

Leo
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    absolutely fantastic leo

would love to see them in person ...

and I will make you a solex once I find the correct parts again. wont be for some time ...
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    GREAT collection LEO...all high end and classical goodies! How do you display them?
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    wow, great collection
    edited December 2007
    Hi Dave thanks,

i can't display them i just don't have the room, i have them in a display case but with no room to actually display it inside, it's basically a storage place for the props, i wish i had a basement like you, that would be sweet.
    i will be adding more props in the near future.

leo

http://www.yourprops.com/view_items.php?user_name=037+scaramanga
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    Leo. Awesome collection. I know we've talked about it before but that's the first time I've seen everything at one time. Well done.
    "I musht be dreaming."
    Leo. Awesome collection. I know we've talked about it before but that's the first time I've seen everything at one time. Well done.

Thanks Shatterhand,

i wanted to post the props long ago but never got around to, thanks for the S.D Studios literature they are nice and in great condition, especially the color ad. thanks again

Leo
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:

Doubtful Production:
    Beretta w/Silencer (resin casting)
    Walther P99 (BB guns; TND and TWINE versions)
    Golden Gun/Walther Duel Set

Hello Alan,

just curious, why you are referring to the Dueling Set and the Beretta to be "doubtful"?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    The only doubtful production on this list is the walther P99 with silencer. one only was made. and it belonged to Steve until he sold his collection.

you can view it on (yourprops)
    theres many rumours regarding the idea that only one was made and sold.. of prototypes etc ...

I would love it if Steve wrote a book detailing ever Bond item in great detail that was produced by SD Studios .. all theinfo photos of research material etc .. stories memories and anicdotes ,. etc I would buy a book about SD studios the short lived props producer..

it would be a great book. similar in quaility . to the book the art of Bond .. in terms of info photographs layout etc,,

is there anyway something like this could be released... it would be a nice way of reliving the props so to speak... and egtting to see some rare stuff..

Could Ed M..... not write a book similar to this also,...
    Ed M. would probably be the only one to write a book of how everything started and ended. he's the only one with that knowledge, Steve what i hear was not a great bookkeeper, it was probably not his thing, but he was a good propmaker.
    I know ed wrote a sort of book about the from russia with love attache case why dosent someone pitch the idea to him also I am sure it could be published officially
    NewYorker wrote:
    The SD Studios PPK (gas powered with silcencer) is it a MAruzen PPK/S?

I believe so.
    NewYorker wrote:
    037 Scaramanga:Where did you get your whole sd studios collection?

If i tell ya i gotta kill ya.

just kidding Buddy, i searched high and low and it wasn't easy, but it took me five years to get this collection, not bad for someone who started late in the game.

i also have other props that are not so rare so i don't waste people's time by adding them to the site. here's something you will like, i made this.

http://www.youtube.com/v/_VJE9FXMg_U

NewYorker-formerly-known-as-Revilo94 :)

• Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    And he stole my signature line!
    even, that he "took" it from you, he was doing this wrong as well ;)

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I like seeing all the repro movie props, I especially have a soft spot for the FRWL attache case.

When I was 11 years old, I tried to make my own "Q" branch attache case, using an old briefcase of my Dad's. I didn't have any sovereigns, and no tear gas or ammo. I did have a .22 rifle, but even with the stock removed, it wouldn't fit into the case.

Finally, I did manage to force a hole in one side of the case near the front and jammed a short "paring" knife from my Mom's kitchen. leaving just enough of the wooden handle sticking out to grab. It came out real slick after I wiggled it back and forth awhile. 8-)

My real suggestion is that someone make a nice display of the Moonraker missle from the novel. Fleming provides a very clear discription. It's very much like a V2 - very retro 1950's and totally cool!
    I absolutely agree, 7289.

• djoudjou Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    Hello, I am a French collector fan of James Bond, do you have replicas of SD studios for sale? Thank you in advance. Wishing you a good day.