Website hosting question (photos)

asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
Hi guys,
My family & I would like to have our own website (hosted through Bigpond) and I was just wondering if anyone here knows how to lock photos or other material, so that no-one can cut and paste them or right-click and save them?
I know this feature is used on the Page3.com website, and so that our family photos and information doesn't fall into the wrong hands, I would like to utilise this feature too.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
asio
Drawn Out Dad.
Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
twitter.com/DrawnOutDad

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    asio wrote:
    Hi guys,
    My family & I would like to have our own website (hosted through Bigpond) and I was just wondering if anyone here knows how to lock photos or other material, so that no-one can cut and paste them or right-click and save them?
    I know this feature is used on the Page3.com website, and so that our family photos and information doesn't fall into the wrong hands, I would like to utilise this feature too.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks for your time,
    asio

Firstly I wouldn't put anything on that is that personal, because there is always ways round these protection systems.
    <SCRIPT language=JavaScript>
    var message = "function disabled";
    function rtclickcheck(keyp){ if (navigator.appName == "Netscape" && keyp.which == 3){ alert(message); return false; }
    if (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") != -1 && event.button == 2) { alert(message); return false; } }
    document.onmousedown = rtclickcheck;
    </SCRIPT>

That code will display right clicking of photos, but only if the user has Javascript enabled.

There is also lots of software out there just google it, if you want full protection. Depends what level of protection you want.
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    There is absolutely no way round it, if someone wants to do it they will find a way.

Remember you can always screen grab anything that's displayed on your screen, so even if you don't allow saving (which is in no way full proof) they can just take a picture of the picture.

As said above the no right clickers only work with Javascript, and even then you can view the source, find the image and open it in a new window...

Another sneaky way is to use backgrounds with a transparent image over the top, that way clicking save as will actually save the blank image and not the real image.

If you really need privacy join a website (like flickr or Livejournal, Myspace) which allow groups of uses to see certain things (much like ajb in terms of users and login).

The best advice though is don't put anything on the net that you don't want to turn up elsewhere, if some one wants to they will!

Sorry to be so negative but it's the truth!
    Simon
  • BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    Si is right, no way around that dilemma, i find it discourages people to steal your content if you put some sort of watermark right in the middle of any pictures, make them half transparent and maybe multilayerd so that potential picture thieves have to do a lot of photoshopping to reuse the image, most people will go looking for less complicated alternatives.