Re: What song are you listening to?

Dan Same wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

I'm listening to "Man in a Purple Dress," from the Who's first new album in 24 years,  "Endless Wire"  ajb007/cool

How does this album compare to their older stuff?

It's quite good, actually---a bit more subdued, overall, more reflective and 'mature' (no surprise there, since they're old men now).  But musically it's excellent, with a few nods stylistically to their rich past, and there are hints of the big, anthemic, 'stadium-sound' for which they became famous.  I recommend it, but would caution against expecting it to 'rock' has hard as some of their classic albums like 'Who's Next' or 'Who Are You.'

I've been lucky enough to see them twice in concert:  Once in the Eighties, when they performed 'Tommy' live, and again in the Nineties, when they perfomed 'Quadrophenia.'  I'm glad they've put out some new material; it was overdue.

Incidentally, I think they should change a key line in one of their signature songs, 'My Generation':

"Don't want to die, now that I'm old..."   ajb007/wink

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Loeffelholz wrote:

It's quite good, actually---a bit more subdued, overall, more reflective and 'mature' (no surprise there, since they're old men now).  But musically it's excellent, with a few nods stylistically to their rich past, and there are hints of the big, anthemic, 'stadium-sound' for which they became famous.  I recommend it, but would caution against expecting it to 'rock' has hard as some of their classic albums like 'Who's Next' or 'Who Are You.'

I've been lucky enough to see them twice in concert:  Once in the Eighties, when they performed 'Tommy' live, and again in the Nineties, when they perfomed 'Quadrophenia.'  I'm glad they've put out some new material; it was overdue.

I'm quite envious of you. ajb007/biggrin Although they are not my favourite group, I do like them alot and I own many of their older songs. It's also good to hear that you would recommend this album as I've been thinking of getting it. ajb007/wink

Loeffelholz wrote:

Incidentally, I think they should change a key line in one of their signature songs, 'My Generation':

"Don't want to die, now that I'm old..."   ajb007/wink

Absolutely. ajb007/biggrin You know, a few years ago I was shocked when I heard that Hillary Duff was performing this song in concert. ajb007/amazed ajb007/crap

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

RogueAgent wrote:

I'm working at my draft table listening to Montagues & Capulets by Sergei Prokofiev.

Fits the mood for the sketch...

I'm envisioning conflict and turmoil under rolling dark clouds...

Last edited by Sir Hillary Bray (9th Jan 2007 15:48)

Hilly...you old devil!

I'm listining to my Ashlee Simpson CD Autobiography

Mr Youre A Better Man than I - the Yardbirds

It was David Bowie's 60th Birthday a couple of days ago. It got me to thinking which song of his I actually like the most.

I narrowed it down to Space Oddity,  Life On Mars, Drive In Saturday, The Man Who Sold The World, Sound And Vision, Heroes, Ashes To Ashes, Lets Dance, China Girl, This Is Not America.

And that's as far as I got. I could not decide which one of those wonderful songs I liked the most, though there may be some significance in that I am curently listening to The Man Who Sold The World.

Moore Not Less wrote:

It was David Bowie's 60th Birthday a couple of days ago. It got me to thinking which song of his I actually like the most.

I narrowed it down to Space Oddity,  Life On Mars, Drive In Saturday, The Man Who Sold The World, Sound And Vision, Heroes, Ashes To Ashes, Lets Dance, China Girl, This Is Not America.

And that's as far as I got. I could not decide which one of those wonderful songs I liked the most, though there may be some significance in that I am curently listening to The Man Who Sold The World.

Hard to go wrong with Bowie, but for me the best is anything off Ziggy....  Listening to "Starman" right now.

Hilly...you old devil!

I'm a HUGE Bowie fan---and I'd still like him to do a Bond theme...as for my favourite, it simply must be "Heroes"; but I still buy and enjoy everything he releases   ajb007/cool

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Funny I should stumble across this admiration for Bowie. I'm listening to:

ASHES TO ASHES by Bowie

Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Emotional times by Taproot

"You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette, my favourite solo artist. It's one of my favourite songs, and as it's been a while since I last listened to it, I put it on today and rediscovered my love for Miss Morissette. ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Dan Same (11th Jan 2007 16:14)

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Drama Queen by Switches.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Loeffelholz wrote:

I'm a HUGE Bowie fan---and I'd still like him to do a Bond theme...as for my favourite, it simply must be "Heroes"; but I still buy and enjoy everything he releases   ajb007/cool

I'm a Bowie fan a well. I like a few of his songs "Heroes", "China Girl", and the film he was in, "Labyrinth". ajb007/cheers ajb007/smile ajb007/cool

David Gilmour - Echoes
Massey Hall April 10 2006

Anyone else like Bowie's "John, I'm Only Dancing?"

Nightshooter wrote:

Absolutely!  That one rocks!

I love all of his early era stuff...especially Ziggy Stardust, etc...

"To Be Played At Maximum Volume" - From the rear cover of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars  ajb007/cool

Loeffelholz wrote:
Nightshooter wrote:

Absolutely!  That one rocks!

I love all of his early era stuff...especially Ziggy Stardust, etc...

"To Be Played At Maximum Volume" - From the rear cover of The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars  ajb007/cool

Reminds of J. Giels Band album, ("Live" I think) that said "Made loud, to be played loud".

Yes Sir, No Sir - The Kinks

ajb007/cool

Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Grace Kelly by Mika.

The Joy Of 6

Standing In The Way Of Control—Gossip.

Ruddy good fun. ajb007/biggrin

The Ballad of John and Yoko - Beatles

I love the lyrics of this one.

Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation ajb007/martini

The Core by Eric Clapton.  Slowhand -- what an album.

Hilly...you old devil!

Relax, Take It Easy by Mika.  Kinda fits my deliriously happy mood that's inexplicably lasted through this week from Saturday, perhaps I should bottle some for later under the "Life's Good" label. ajb007/smile

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

Ruby by Kaiser Chiefs.

The Joy Of 6

When The Time Comes by Tom Petty.  Can't seem to get out of the 70's.

Hilly...you old devil!