51

Re: What song are you listening to?

"New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini.  Talented young man.

Hilly...you old devil!

52

Re: What song are you listening to?

''Adagio for strings'' by DJ Tiesto.

53

Re: What song are you listening to?

Sir Hillary Bray wrote:

"New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini.  Talented young man.

As in, the same Paolo Nutini from Paisley?  Wow, didn't know he was getting airplay in North America!  Good on him!

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

54

Re: What song are you listening to?

''Touch It'' by Busta Rhymes

55

Re: What song are you listening to?

Sorry, posted by mistake.

Last edited by Sir Hillary Bray (12th Feb 2007 01:57)

Hilly...you old devil!

56

Re: What song are you listening to?

Moonraker 5 wrote:
Sir Hillary Bray wrote:

"New Shoes" by Paolo Nutini.  Talented young man.

As in, the same Paolo Nutini from Paisley?  Wow, didn't know he was getting airplay in North America!  Good on him!

Yep, that's him, M5.  There's a great radio station here in greater New York that loves to find artists that few Americans know about  (Cat Empire, from Melbourne, is another band they're showcasing).  They've been playing "New Shoes" since about November.  Paolo has also been over here to do some small sets, mostly things like late-night television.  I have ordered his CD These Streets and can't wait to hear it stright through -- for a kid of 19 years, he sounds amazingly soulful.  I'm hoping to see him live.  This is one of the best things about living in NY.

Last edited by Sir Hillary Bray (12th Feb 2007 16:10)

Hilly...you old devil!

57

Re: What song are you listening to?

"I am the Walrus," from the Beatles! ajb007/cheers

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together..." ajb007/biggrin

58

Re: What song are you listening to?

"...sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun, if the sun don't come get your tan standing in the English rain..." lol I love that line. ajb007/biggrin man I love that whole song so much lol.

I'm listening to Mrs Robinson from Simon and Garfunkel. I've been listening to it on repeat loads lately and I just can't seem to get enough of it!

Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation ajb007/martini

59

Re: What song are you listening to?

FelixLeiter007 wrote:

I'm listening to Mrs Robinson from Simon and Garfunkel. I've been listening to it on repeat loads lately and I just can't seem to get enough of it!

Ah, I remember that one! Used to listen to that every day! Great song, one of Simon and Garfunkel's best. I just never understood the last part...

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonley eyes to you... woo woo woo... What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away... hey hey hey..."

According to Wikipedia,  the song is about Mrs. Robinson, who enters a nursing home who views her as not very useful. Hence, "Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes..." Which is also why it was released on the album Bookends (I assume it was because bookends aren't viewed as very useful, either). Generally, it was about the plight of the elderly in society today. The article talks about the context of The Graduate film that it was written for, but I still don't understand the concept of Joe DiMaggio... Does anyone perhaps have some more knowledge on the subject? I'm afraid the topic of early baseball is way before my time. ajb007/smile

Simon and Garfunkel's songs always were on the intellectual side. That's what made them unique. Great song! ajb007/cheers

60

Re: What song are you listening to?

Our Velocity by Maximo Park - a very underrated British band, I look forward to their new album.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

61

Re: What song are you listening to?

North American Scum by LCD Soundsystem.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

62

Re: What song are you listening to?

Sir Miles wrote:

Our Velocity by Maximo Park - a very underrated British band, I look forward to their new album.

Absolutely agreed on that. Maximo Park are excellent with some real energy to their music. I too look forward to the new album.

Right now I'm listening Bay City Rollers' Shang-a-Lang. Perfect Scottish cheese for a Saturday afternoon. ajb007/biggrin

63

Re: What song are you listening to?

The Sly Fox wrote:

Ah, I remember that one! Used to listen to that every day! Great song, one of Simon and Garfunkel's best. I just never understood the last part...

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonley eyes to you... woo woo woo... What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away... hey hey hey..."

According to Wikipedia,  the song is about Mrs. Robinson, who enters a nursing home who views her as not very useful. Hence, "Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes..." Which is also why it was released on the album Bookends (I assume it was because bookends aren't viewed as very useful, either). Generally, it was about the plight of the elderly in society today. The article talks about the context of The Graduate film that it was written for, but I still don't understand the concept of Joe DiMaggio... Does anyone perhaps have some more knowledge on the subject? I'm afraid the topic of early baseball is way before my time. ajb007/smile

Simon and Garfunkel's songs always were on the intellectual side. That's what made them unique. Great song! ajb007/cheers

Hey Sly, I always thought it was more a reference to the simpler times of Joe Dimaggio's days. More like a plea for the world to stop the madness that was happening back then. This song came out I believe in 1968, 5 years after JFK was killed, and the same year RFK, and MLK were assasinated, not to mention Vietnam was going on as well. A lot of unrest and turbulence was felt back then. The country felt like it lost it's innocence forever. And it did. I once heard Paul Simon said it was all about syllables, but I think he was just savoring the better days when baseball players were American heroes. And he picked his name because it worked in the song. Hope that helps a little...it's what I always heard.

64

Re: What song are you listening to?

P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care) by John Legend.

Awesome chorus and subject matter.

Last edited by Nightshooter (17th Feb 2007 18:27)

65

Re: What song are you listening to?

Matt Munro... From Russia With Love.

It's been ages since I've listened to my Bond CD and it's all so great. ajb007/biggrin

Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation ajb007/martini

66

Re: What song are you listening to?

"In View", by The Tragically Hip, a great Canadian band that's been around for over 20 years and that far too few people know about.

Last edited by Sir Hillary Bray (26th Feb 2007 00:45)

Hilly...you old devil!

67

Re: What song are you listening to?

John Fogerty, The Long Road Home.

68

Re: What song are you listening to?

Goodsouls by Starsailor great track

Last edited by chris Walken (26th Feb 2007 14:16)

69

Re: What song are you listening to?

The Angry Mob by Kaiser Chiefs off their great second album. Saw them live last thursday and they really are a band at the top of their game.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

70

Re: What song are you listening to?

"5:15AM" by Mark Knopfler, from Shangri-La.

Seems like it describes a murder in Newcastle of a carpetbagging slot-machine operator from London...or maybe it's just a metaphor for exploitation of Geordie folk and resources by less-than-ethical moneyed interests.  Whatever, it's a beautiful chord progession with some guitar work typical of his interesting solo efforts.

Knopfler has compiled an amazing body of work over the years, IMO.

Hilly...you old devil!

71

Re: What song are you listening to?

Dear Mr. PResident by Pink

72

Re: What song are you listening to?

Sewn by The Feeling. Caught them live last night, they were much better than I expected. Sewn is a great track - a great anthemic love song, I doubt they will write better.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

73

Re: What song are you listening to?

Just picked up Pat Metheny / Brad Mehldau: Quartet. Any jazz fans out there should check this one out. Pat is for my money one of the most gifted composers and guitar players out there and Mehldau has quickly become a driving force on piano. Great collaboration and the ninth track, Secret Beach, is just amazing, culminating in an unbelievable solo by Pat on his guitar synthesizer. Great stuff.

74

Re: What song are you listening to?

The album Machine Head, by Deep Purple  ajb007/cool

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

75

Re: What song are you listening to?

Monique wrote:
The Sly Fox wrote:

Ah, I remember that one! Used to listen to that every day! Great song, one of Simon and Garfunkel's best. I just never understood the last part...

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, our nation turns its lonley eyes to you... woo woo woo... What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away... hey hey hey..."

According to Wikipedia,  the song is about Mrs. Robinson, who enters a nursing home who views her as not very useful. Hence, "Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes..." Which is also why it was released on the album Bookends (I assume it was because bookends aren't viewed as very useful, either). Generally, it was about the plight of the elderly in society today. The article talks about the context of The Graduate film that it was written for, but I still don't understand the concept of Joe DiMaggio... Does anyone perhaps have some more knowledge on the subject? I'm afraid the topic of early baseball is way before my time. ajb007/smile

Simon and Garfunkel's songs always were on the intellectual side. That's what made them unique. Great song! ajb007/cheers

Hey Sly, I always thought it was more a reference to the simpler times of Joe Dimaggio's days. More like a plea for the world to stop the madness that was happening back then. This song came out I believe in 1968, 5 years after JFK was killed, and the same year RFK, and MLK were assasinated, not to mention Vietnam was going on as well. A lot of unrest and turbulence was felt back then. The country felt like it lost it's innocence forever. And it did. I once heard Paul Simon said it was all about syllables, but I think he was just savoring the better days when baseball players were American heroes. And he picked his name because it worked in the song. Hope that helps a little...it's what I always heard.

Absolutely correct, Monique. The Dimaggio reference mourns the loss of heroes in American life and a simpler, more innocent time.

I'm listening to a pristine soundboard recording of the Grateful Dead's May 3, 1972 gig at the Olympia Theater in Paris. Incredible show. Where have you gone, Jerry Garcia ...?