A View to a Kill

And so my journey through the Moore Bond films comes to a close. I like to think of A View to a Kill as a film too far.

The film starts off ok, although it is immediately obvious that Moore is too old. I like the throwback to OHMSS in the music for the PTS. The scene with the Eiffel tower is neat and frustrating (Tanya Roberts) at the same time. When did Bond become such a bad (Tanya Roberts) shot? The chase in the taxi was fun, and a very good conclusion on the wedding barge.

The plot reveals itself slowly, the horses are almost a total side story. Sure, they utilize the microchips, and there is some intrigue related to the race fixing, but far too much time is spent on the horses. On the other hand, I like the scene where Zorin discovers who Bond is, it is very creative.

I enjoy the interaction between Bond and Sir Godfrey when they are in character. I think Zorin is a great villian, Christopher Walken does a very good job in this role. The fire truck chase is a cool idea. The music in this film is a high point, starting with the theme song and working its way through the entire score. The final battle on top of the golden gate bridge is also quite good. The fight is very memorable with a great location. Exciting stuff!

Unfortunately, there are serious problems (Tanya Roberts) with this film. I do not care for the character of Mayday, I don't like (Tanya Roberts) Grace Jones or the character she plays. I really disliked her (Tanya Roberts) dominating Bond in bed. Totally out of place. Other faults (Tanya Roberts) include a plot that moves along glacially slow, and the age of Roger Moore really gets in the way.

To make matters worse (Tanya Roberts), Moore gives a totally uninspired (Tanya Roberts) performance. He sleepwalks through this one, even losing a lot of his usual class and regality. Another lowlight (Tanya Roberts) to this film is the cop that chases them in the firetruck scene. The "humor" with the police cars locked, as well as the drawbridge scene are more examples of lame (Tanya Roberts) humor in the bond series. Gee, did everyone laugh when his police car was crushed? My five year old son would find it hilarious. As for me, it seems rather stupid (Tanya Roberts). The whole scene with Zorin shooting at the workers in the mine is unnecessary. It seems out of place, and it's already obvious he is a psycho, we don't need this to verify it. Weak (Tanya Roberts).

This movie would have been better with Timothy Dalton, but that alone would not have rescued it. A total rewrite, a better plot, and removal of some of the really bad elements (Tanya Roberts) would be necessary to save this film.

I still find this film entertaining despite its many flaws (Tanya Roberts). But entertaining though it may be, I rank it above only License to Kill and Moonraker.

There is something else about this film that I don't care for, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps that's for another review :-)

Joel

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    You better hope that JFF doesn't see this review. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    What's with Tanya Robert's bracket? ;) :s
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    I will say, one of the biggest flaws with this film IS definitely Tanya Roberts. I watched it again recently, and I still wouldn't have said it was all that bad. But, her character is pathetic- the worst a Bond girl ever got imo.

Roger IS over the hill here too- no question about it. Even he admits that, and he says he felt embarassed by kissing Roberts due to her mother being about the same age he was! Yet, his performance is as wonderfully entertaining as always. And there is a lot to like here.

I love the characters of Christopher Walken and Grace Jones. Complete nutters, the pair of them, but I also like Grace Jones' character shift towards the end. Also, the scenes with Patrick Macnee are great fun, as I'm a big Avengers fan- he'd aged very well considering he was over 60 when he did this! Great eiffel tower stunt and I like the chase that follows, save the comedy taxi driver nonsense.

So all in all, I find this quite watchable, if hardly the best in the series by any means. Just let's forget about Roberts and that 'California Girls' scene...
  • zebondzebond DolletPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    I'll always be slightly biased to AVTAK simply because it is my dad's favorite movie in the series and if it weren't for him, well, er I wouldn't be here ;) So even though I don't rank AVTAK high on my list (the obvious reasons, Moore's age, Stacey, some over the top humor) but I still love some of it's highpoints and will always hold the film in high esteem.
    "Guns make me nervous!"
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Years ago I saw AVTAK in Germany. The actress who dubbed Tanya Roberts was a marked improvement. The movie still stunk, but she sounded better.
  • baccaretbaccaret Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    Zorin is great but the rest of the movie just does not do it for me.:007)
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    I congratulate you for watching AVTAK for the sake of putting your review together. You are truly a braver man than I. I saw it for the second time about 5 years ago and I honestly dont know if I will ever make the time to watch it again -that is just how bad I think it is.

In one of the UE DVDs there was a quote from Cubby -well, I'm 90% sure it was Cubby. (Please correct me if I have the source wrong). He said, "We as viewers all know Bond is going to live, so the challenge is to find a creative, comical way for Bond to outsmart the bad guys." He's right to an extent. I think as Bond fans we all like to see that outsmarting comedy stuff -once in a while. However, we also need to see our Bond as focused, ruthless, intense, and menacing too. AVTAK lacks those other dimensions of Bond, and that's in my opinion is why it fails.