The World Is Not Enough

SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
Just watched this one for the first time in a few years. I have to say, it may be a long while before I watch it again, too. I don't think it's going to be in the worst of the films, but I think Thunderball would be an adequate comparison- has an intriguing beginning but gets increasingly bombastic. I found a lot of the action set-pieces, apart from the superb boat chase and the assault on Zukovsky's warehouse, to be rather 'by the numbers' despite their grandiosity, and the plot too was not terribly engaging. This has a fatal flaw in casting with the nubile Denise Richards in a role that should have been played by someone older. Richards' spouting technical jargon with a whiny voice is rather annoying and very unconvincing.

Another criticism is in the composition of the PTS- I feel it runs FAR too long. The PTS should have started just after Bond's escape from the bank as he walks down the street, rather than running for another 10 minutes or so.

There are some highlights. The Q farewell is beautifully judged and poignant, the way M is weaved into the plot is good, Brosnan is excellent throughout and Elektra is a very intriguing (and appealing) villain, the scene where she flirts and teases Renard is particularly memorable and devious. But, I feel Renard is a terribly wasted villain- they could have gone to town with his ruthlessness, but they didn't and he's not all that interesting a character. Elektra's demise is not satisfactory, imo, too, and is a bit anticlimactic when you consider how ruthless and deceiving she has been throughout the film. Also, we have perhaps the worst ending to a Bond film since Moonraker- ironic that it's exactly the same sort of ending, with ham handed double entendres.

All in all, not a great film. Not at the bottom of the barrel, but a very patchy experience. In that respect though, it's more in line with TND than DAD of the Brosnan films, imo.

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    I think TWINE is a very good film (it's my second favourite Brosnan film after GE) however it could have been a truly great one. I think it has alot of wonderful things going for it; Brosnan's masterful performance, the PTS which IMO was the among the five best of all time, Electra, the skiing scene, the dialogue which included one of the all-time great closing lines IMO, the idea of a villain who feels no pain, the idea of a villainess whom Bond falls for and who then betrays him, the X-ray sunglasses, the way Desmond Llewelyn's Q was sent off and that the fact that after TND TWINE just felt really fresh IMO.

My problem is that it doesn't really deliver. The villain feels no pain, great, but it proved to be completely irrelevant, Electra was a great villainess (and the killing of her was IMO a classic Bond moment) but the love affair between her and Bond wasn't followed through. I didn't get as much of a sense of betrayal as I would have liked. Also, the actions scenes, with the exception of the skiing scene, weren't great and the final fight was a disappointment. Additionally, while I don't dislike Denise Richards (I think she's good looking ;)), I do think she's a little young to play a nuclear weapon expert (althugh I did appreciate her name.) I also felt that the abduction of M was completely pointless and served no purpose other than to show off the fact that the film had an Oscar winner as M.

I think TWINE is a very good film, but it could have been one of the absolute greats. In fact, I think it could have been another OHMSS. But it fell short. I still think that it's a great film but I think it's just short of a masterpiece.
    Steed wrote:
    Another criticism is in the composition of the PTS- I feel it runs FAR too long. The PTS should have started just after Bond's escape from the bank as he walks down the street, rather than running for another 10 minutes or so.
    Are you saying you would have gotten rid of the scene within the bank? :o If your concern is length, wouldn't it be better to end the PTS upon his escape from the bank rather than cut out the scene inside the bank?
    Steed wrote:
    But, I feel Renard is a terribly wasted villain- they could have gone to town with his ruthlessness, but they didn't and he's not all that interesting a character. Elektra's demise is not satisfactory, imo, too, and is a bit anticlimactic when you consider how ruthless and deceiving she has been throughout the film. .
    I completely agree about Renard being wasted. About Electra; how can you not find it satisfactory that Bond would kill Electra in cold blood? ;)
    Steed wrote:
    Also, we have perhaps the worst ending to a Bond film since Moonraker- ironic that it's exactly the same sort of ending, with ham handed double entendres.
    Here, I completely disagree. I may be in a minority here, but I consider the "I thought Christmas only comes once a year" line to be absolutely brilliant. :D I don't think it's ham-handed at all and I think it's right up there with the best lines from the *Connery (or any Bond) films. IMO, it was a perfect way to end the film.

*I'm completely serious when I say that I think the line is as good as any line from any other Bond film. However, before I receive objections, I would like to point out that GF featured a woman called Pussy Galore. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    That's what I meant- have the credits after his escape from the bank, then after that continue the film as normal without cutting anything. The PTS was about 12 minutes long which is a little too long I felt, but that's only my opinion, of course.

It was that whole 'it's getting redder' business and the '007!' shock from M that got my goat, so to speak. All you needed was 'I think he's attempting re-entry' (that's a real awful line) and it would have been the Moonraker ending, imo. I wasn't so bothered about the Christmas line.
    edited December 2006
    Steed, why did you think the killing of Electra anti-climatic?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • markdownmarkdown Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    as regards the killing of electra i have always thought the way it was done was totally un-bondlike. essentially he shot an unarmed women at close range when he could just have easily subdued her thus they would have taken her alive. it was an act of cold blooded murder which just did'nt sit right. contrast this with bond's refusal to shoot kara in TLD because he knows she is not a sniper. that was the response of a professional doing his job. the killing of electra was a churlish act motivated by revenge, there was no advantage to killing her nor was it an act of self defence. imo the writers got it badly wrong with that scene maybe they were attempting to make him seem more ruthless. what they actually did imho goes against everything bond has ever stood for.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    ^I think it was that, actually. Something about it didn't sit right with me. I once read somewhere that having M shoot her would have been far more effective- imo, they should have had Elektra taunting Bond with 'you can't shoot me' and have him struggling to do it (a la the Kara assassination) yet M could have appeared and said 'I can' and killed her. That would have been terrific, imho.

I'd rate the film 3/5 as it's nowhere near the turkey I remembered it being, though. A fair few flaws as I said but it's not going to be in my worst Bond films, by any means. On par with TND, better than DAD but not as good as Goldeneye, imho.
    edited December 2006
    I'm happy you prefer it to DAD. :D
    edited December 2006
    Sorry, I accidentally reposted. ;%
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    Here, I completely disagree. I may be in a minority here, but I consider the "I thought Christmas only comes once a year" line to be absolutely brilliant. :D I don't think it's ham-handed at all and I think it's right up there with the best lines from the *Connery (or any Bond) films. IMO, it was a perfect way to end the film.

*I'm completely serious when I say that I think the line is as good as any line from any other Bond film. However, before I receive objections, I would like to point out that GF featured a woman called Pussy Galore. :D

The problem with the line is that it is so old. I heard it for the first time over 40 years ago.
    So it really does not show a whole lot of creativity on the screenwriters' part, now does it? And sorry, but it's a weak defense to cite the name Pussy Galore as a justification for this weak, unispired bit of "humor". PG's name is pure Fleming. The final "humor" in TWINE is pure garbage.
  • HankHank Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    markdown wrote:
    as regards the killing of electra i have always thought the way it was done was totally un-bondlike. essentially he shot an unarmed women at close range when he could just have easily subdued her thus they would have taken her alive. it was an act of cold blooded murder which just did'nt sit right. contrast this with bond's refusal to shoot kara in TLD because he knows she is not a sniper. that was the response of a professional doing his job. the killing of electra was a churlish act motivated by revenge, there was no advantage to killing her nor was it an act of self defence. imo the writers got it badly wrong with that scene maybe they were attempting to make him seem more ruthless. what they actually did imho goes against everything bond has ever stood for.

I think its very Bond like. Electra had caused a lot a of pain a suffering, and was about to be resposible for the deaths of thousands.

Women aren't above being shot, especially when they have it coming. Also, Daniel Craig shot a couple of unarmed people in CR. No biggie, they're the bad guys.
  • jbfreakjbfreak Posts: 144MI6 Agent
    I thought TWINE was, and still is a great film. its got the villians, gadgets, and girls. The plot works, and the whole thing was carried out perfectly.

As for the PTS- Ok, it was said that it was a little too long, and that it should have started just after he escaped the bank. But that would leave a whole lot of things open, like who is this girl Bond is chasing and why? What did this girl do to tick him off enough to get him to chase her? I feel that the PTS was perfectly done, and just wouldn't make much sense if it was missing certain pieces.

The death of Elektra- So what if she was unarmed. Just moments before she was about to break Bonds neck. It just so happens that he escaped that contraption, and when Elektra ran, she failed to pick up a weapong. Big mistake on her part. She runs, tries to escape, Bond catches up with her, and she dies. To tell the truth, if I was in Bonds position I probably would have done the same thing. it shouldn't matter whether the victim was unarmed or not if they just tried to kill the person who killed them.
    It would almost cheat the series if he were to take here alive. A much weaker Bond would have left her alive.

Maybe in the Disney version they'll let her live.
    edited December 2006
    RJJB wrote:
    The problem with the line is that it is so old. I heard it for the first time over 40 years ago.
    I guess classics never die. ;)
    RJJB wrote:
    So it really does not show a whole lot of creativity on the screenwriters' part, now does it? And sorry, but it's a weak defense to cite the name Pussy Galore as a justification for this weak, unispired bit of "humor". PG's name is pure Fleming. The final "humor" in TWINE is pure garbage.
    Two comments: First, it may not be the most creative line but, to be honest, I think it's absolutely irrelevant. Very few things in art are completely original, and that includes most great films and lines these days. I don't think that's a bad thing however as it comes down to wether the art in question appears fresh, and IMO that line appears as fresh as any other line from any other Bond film.

Second, I don't really care wether it's a weak defence or not to cite Pussy Galore as a justification. I think it's a brilliant line which is just as good as any line from any of the more faithful Fleming adaptations (including the name Pussy Galore.) :p If you think this is weak, unispired bit of "humor" or 'pure garbage' then I woud say the same for any line from DN-TB/OHMSS/CR (or any Bond film). :v :p

BTW RJJB, I didn't know I was on trial? :D I know you don't like the line, and I do, but does it really matter wether citing Pussy Galore is a weak defence? That is, I was only using it as an example (a suitable example IMO) but perhaps I shouldn't have, as I don't really need to state a defence for my opinion. ;) Anyway I love that line, but I can see that not everyone agree with me. :o ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Maybe it would have been better to have the banker's escape as just the pts, but more extended as a chase, into five mins, across the rooftops or something... then have the boat chase after the credits.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Maybe it would have been better to have the banker's escape as just the pts, but more extended as a chase, into five mins, across the rooftops or something... then have the boat chase after the credits.
    I agree, as I assume that you think the scene in the banker's office should stay? IMO TWINE's PTS was among the very best of all time. However I do agree that it was overlong. I would do what NP suggested; have the scene in the banker's office and Bond's escape and then incorporate a chase. Perhaps at the end of it, Bond could catch up with Cigar Girl, but not after such a long sequence.
    Hank wrote:
    markdown wrote:

I think its very Bond like. Electra had caused a lot a of pain a suffering, and was about to be resposible for the deaths of thousands.

Women aren't above being shot, especially when they have it coming. Also, Daniel Craig shot a couple of unarmed people in CR. No biggie, they're the bad guys.
    yes but when he did kill the bomber there was media outrage and m was hauled over the coals in parliament which suggests to me that even someone with a licence to kill can be called to account for his actions.
    jbfreak wrote:
    I thought TWINE was, and still is a great film. its got the villians, gadgets, and girls. The plot works, and the whole thing was carried out perfectly.

As for the PTS- Ok, it was said that it was a little too long, and that it should have started just after he escaped the bank. But that would leave a whole lot of things open, like who is this girl Bond is chasing and why? What did this girl do to tick him off enough to get him to chase her? I feel that the PTS was perfectly done, and just wouldn't make much sense if it was missing certain pieces.

The death of Elektra- So what if she was unarmed. Just moments before she was about to break Bonds neck. It just so happens that he escaped that contraption, and when Elektra ran, she failed to pick up a weapong. Big mistake on her part. She runs, tries to escape, Bond catches up with her, and she dies. To tell the truth, if I was in Bonds position I probably would have done the same thing. it shouldn't matter whether the victim was unarmed or not if they just tried to kill the person who killed them.
    the problem with that is none of those were the reason he killed. he killed her beacause she was goading him saying he would,nt do it. she had successfully wound renard round her little finger and she thought she had done the same to bond. he killed her to prove a point.
    Hank wrote:
    It would almost cheat the series if he were to take here alive. A much weaker Bond would have left her alive.

Maybe in the Disney version they'll let her live.
    i thought that was the disney version, well they had a mickey mouse actor in the lead role anyway.:D
    I agree he made a point by killing her, but he was also stopping her from letting Renard know what was going on.

And c'mon, Brosnan was good in all of his movies. Maybe some weren't as strong as others, but he was always great.
    Hank wrote:
    And c'mon, Brosnan was good in all of his movies. Maybe some weren't as strong as others, but he was always great.
    Hear hear! :D
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    TWINE had a great concept, and it is generally a quality and highly enjoyable Bond film. The conception of the plot is terrific, and I love the Elektra angle. The settings were terrific. And, of course, Brosnan was terrific.

For me, there was just too much action and too much formula (fancy boat, needless scene at Zukovksy's caviar factory to showcase the car, wholly unbelievable and ditzy Denise Richards as a Bond babe with horrible acting abilities whose supposed to be a nuclear physicist, etc.). I also wish they had developed Bond's relationship with Elektra more, as she bore some similiarities to Tracy, being a "bird with a broken wing" for which Bond has a soft spot.