The Queen of Cups - LALD

Question regarding the Rosie scenes in LALD:

Bond first becomes suspicious on Rosie when he finds the Queen of Cups tarot card upside down on a note at his breakfast table. We know he was communicating with Quarrel Jnr before he meets him at the dock, but there's no obvious suggestion that Quarrel tipped off Bond that Rosie was a double-agent.

If it wasn't Quarrel, I fail to see who else could have placed the card there as a warning to Bond - unless it's the magic of Tarot and voodoo? Any thoughts?

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Was it not solitaire?
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    Was it not solitaire?

Although there's no rationale for it--she's only met Bond once and clearly took an instant dislike to him--I, too, always assumed that the card came from Solitaire; she is the film's Tarot expert after all.

Like Wint and Kidd before her, I was always a bit unclear who Rosie was working for. If she's really in Kananga's employ, why would Solitaire rat her out?
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I always thought from the first time they met, she had fallen in love with bond and was just trying to fight it.
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I've always thought that it was Kananga.

He had been warning Rosie the previous night - with the small headed man's hat :)) - and the card had actually been meant for her to read as a coded message not to let Kananga down again (assuming Bond would not know)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I always thought the Queen of Cups was Dolly Parton. My bad.

Anyway, the original question here could be added to my old Why oh why, Live and Let Die screed. I know that a lot of people love this movie, but I feel that it's like a poorly-tailored suit. If you tug on one thread, everything becomes unravelled.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I know that a lot of people love this movie, but I feel that it's like a poorly-tailored suit. If you tug on one thread, everything becomes unravelled.

Sometimes people love their poorly tailored suits. They get really attached to them, become like an old friend you might say. And this despite all the loose threads.