Daniel Craig is ... Captain Kirk ???

TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
If this story is to be believed, Daniel Craig is a major Star Trek fan and wants to be in the next Trek movie. Should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt for the time being.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/01/05/daniel-craig-wants-in-to-star-trek/

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    He's too rugged to be Kirk. (where've I heard that before? haha) What about Spock? It would be a real challenge for Craig to not have human emotions.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Craig speaks too fast--he'll have to work on his long pauses before he could be a credible Kirk.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Exquise me? Bacon powder? Hmm....

You know, with his deep voice, I could perhaps envision him as Dr. McCoy. I don't know if he's ever done a southern accent before, but he has played scientific and smart alecy types before, and quite well.

Kirk? That would just be... weird.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    As much turmoil as his announcement of becoming 007 caused, I will indeed take this news with the proverbial grain of salt. Craig's nowhere in the vicinity of being Kirk.

He'd would make a great Romulan or Klingon though... :D
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,989Quartermasters
    This one's a red herring, of course ;)

But I can't help but grin at the thought of Craigger insinuating himself into a potential third franchise (after Bond, and Dark Materials, or whatever it's called)...

:)) Let's bother as many people as we possibly can :))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Being both a Bond fan and a Trekkie, I'd have to say that I can't see it happening. I'd hate for an Englishman to play Captain Kirk just as I'd hate for a North American to play James Bond. It just doesn't work. Maybe if Paramount ever decide to do a series based on the early-mid 24th century, Craig could be a young Jean-Luc Picard! Although he might have to shave his head ... :) Having said that, they've already cast Tom Hardy as a younger, cloned Picard in Nemesis, so maybe they'd cast him again ...

No, I can't see Craig playing an established Trek character. If he is to be in Star Trek, he'd have to play a new character.

Now, here's hoping Sean Connery can reprise a role as a Starfleet Admiral ... that's a sight I'd pay any money to see!
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Jim Carrey is Kirk. Or Jack Black is. Gary Sinise is McCoy. Beyonce is Uhura. Spock is CGI.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Nobody is Kirk. There can be only one. Same goes for Spock, Bones and Uhura.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

Not even Jason Alexander or Kevin Pollack ??? ;)

Seriously though, after having these characters literally age before our eyes for over 40 years it is really tough to envision anybody else in their respective roles, regardless of what age they're being played at. I'd much prefer this next movie go forward in time, or even give us the adventures of Captain April or Captain Pike in some altered Trek universe. Still, all signs so far point to the adventures of young Kirk and Spock so we may as well make the best of it.

As for my cheeky title to this thread, the story only said that Craig was a Trek fan, nowhere did it explicitly mention that he wanted to be Kirk. It could all be bogus, or he could end up playing a Klingon for all we know.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    I thought Belushi made a good Kirk
    and if I recall Chevy was Spock, Aykroyd was McCoy
    and Elliot Gould was the alien TV executive who beamed aboard the bridge of the Enterprise to announce the five year mission was cancelled due to poor ratings
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Shatner roast was hilarious. I forget the lady's name, but she skewered Pollack good.

"Kevin Pollack has made a living impersonating celebrities such as William Shatner and Jack Nicholson."

"You know, all the hard ones. :))
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I thought I heard on a local radio show that Matt Damon was going to be Kirk, for what thats worth.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
    00-Agent wrote:
    I thought I heard on a local radio show that Matt Damon was going to be Kirk, for what thats worth.

That rumor has been floating around almost since the movie was first announced; I'm not sure where it started or if Matt Damon and JJ Abrams (who is producing and possibly directing) ever worked together before. Right now there are no formal casting decisions as there isn't even a finished and approved script yet.

It's all speculation and rumor at this point although it will be interesting to see which way they go with this, who they ultimately sign up, and whether they decide to go with established stars or unknowns.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Seriously though, after having these characters literally age before our eyes for over 40 years it is really tough to envision anybody else in their respective roles, regardless of what age they're being played at. I'd much prefer this next movie go forward in time, or even give us the adventures of Captain April or Captain Pike in some altered Trek universe. Still, all signs so far point to the adventures of young Kirk and Spock so we may as well make the best of it.

It is really tough to imagine anybody else as Kirk, Spock, Bones etc. It's not just that they aged considerably before our eyes. The unique and almost magical onscreen chemistry they shared with each other is something to be treasured, this is a rare thing that cannot be manufactured.
    Someone over at IESB.net has supposedly read a few pages of the first draft script for the new movie and it seems that Captain Pike (who commanded the Enterprise before Kirk) is in it. Maybe this is the role that might eventually go to Craig?
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    www.danielcraigisnotcaptainkirk.com

:))

I COULDN'T HELP IT!!!!!! :)) :)) :)) ;%
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    TonyDP wrote:
    Someone over at IESB.net has supposedly read a few pages of the first draft script for the new movie and it seems that Captain Pike (who commanded the Enterprise before Kirk) is in it. Maybe this is the role that might eventually go to Craig?

Craggly looking Craig...dashing looking Hunter...no, let me just keep my mouth closed... ;%

I was thinking the same thing, DAWUSS. :))
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    TonyDP wrote:

Craggly looking Craig...dashing looking Hunter...no, let me just keep my mouth closed... ;%

I was thinking the same thing, DAWUSS. :))

www.danielcraigisnotkirkorpikeorapril.com ;)

If you guys want to see some proper Star Trek head on over to the link below and check out the trailer for the remastered Where No Man Has Gone Before which airs in two weeks. The new CGI shots of the Enterprise going thru the galactic barrier are breathtaking.

http://trekmovie.com/2007/01/11/put-on-some-velour-for-the-preview-of-where-no-man-has-gone-before/
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,989Quartermasters
    DAWUSS wrote:
    www.danielcraigisnotcaptainkirk.com

:))

I COULDN'T HELP IT!!!!!! :)) :)) :)) ;%

May it enjoy similar success... B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM