James Bond Spy Tricks Box

Hi, has anyone ever seen one of these boxes in real life? I've seen them in Lee Pfeiffer's book, I believe, but I don't ever remember seeing one in anyone's collection or at some convention. The item was made by the folks
from Gilbert, the same company that made the OddJob and James Bond dolls/10 Bond figures/Bond puppets and of course the Racetrack and a few other things. Maybe Alan Stephenson has/had one?

bondspykit.jpg

I'd be interested to see how much one would go for.

Thanks!

Kees

Comments

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    But of course I do! If it was stupid and they put a 007 logo on it, I own ... TWO! (One for display, one for play!*)

Here it is tucked-away on display and on it's own. (Click the images for a larger views.):

casergt01newsml6qt.th.jpgacgtrickslrg4za.th.jpg

I love this because: A) it's utterly inane and B) it's not a bunch of existing tricks with the logo slapped-on as you would expect; most every item is custom-tooled (no wonder Gilbert went bankrupt).

Nick ["ohm5s"] probably has a different take in the U.K., but B.E. ["Before eBay"] when we thought these were impossible to find, I would occasionally spot them at shows for US$ 300-400. I see them now on eBay at the rate of one every six months or so selling for US $200-300. (I like to keep track mostly for insurance reasons.) I would say eBay has proven that they aren't quite so rare, yet dealers are now asking at shows for US$ 400-500.

Those are prices for complere units. Someone was recently selling the tricks on eBay individually at US $20-40 apiece.

*Thankfully, I'm only half serious. But only half.
  • ohm5sohm5s Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    Dead Right Alan, I think I paid Bil Bruegman about $700 for mine as they never used to turn up in Toy Shop. Whilst things still usually sell for more in the UK I think a mint boxed one here would struggle over £300 as it is a pretty stupid 007 licenced toy. Gilbert made a Man From Uncle on which sells for $200 tops but they also made a My Favourite Martian one and that used to be the most expensive. I have probably had about 5 of these sets over the years but they have to be complete and have a good box lid and inner tray.

I love the fact that you have one to play with!!

Are we the only collectors to have the battery operated Gilbert Disco Volante?
  • kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    ohm5s wrote:
    Dead Right Alan, I think I paid Bil Bruegman about $700 for mine as they never used to turn up in Toy Shop. Whilst things still usually sell for more in the UK I think a mint boxed one here would struggle over £300 as it is a pretty stupid 007 licenced toy. Gilbert made a Man From Uncle on which sells for $200 tops but they also made a My Favourite Martian one and that used to be the most expensive. I have probably had about 5 of these sets over the years but they have to be complete and have a good box lid and inner tray.

I love the fact that you have one to play with!!

A battery operated Gilbert Disco Volante???? I've never heard or seen that. Wow! Do you have pictures? How big is it?

Thanks!

Kees
    edited January 2007
    ohm5s wrote:

Actually, I don't have one! Only the Gilbert catalog. I always assumed that like the other versions of the road race set, they never got beyond the prototypes before declaring bankruptcy.

As a matter of fact, although I knew I didn't have the only one made, I was still totally gutted to see you also have tooling for the Connery puppet in your collection.
    kees007 wrote:
    A battery operated Gilbert Disco Volante???? I've never heard or seen that. Wow! Do you have pictures?

Here's the catalog shot (click the image for a larger view):

dvtoysml7xi.th.jpg
    How big is it?
    That's a rather personal question! Oh, you mean the toy! (Sorry, old Monty Python line.) "... 18 inches of inexhaustible play value!" (per the catalog description).

Nick, PLEASE post a pic; I was about to commission a 1/35 or 1/24th model thinking these didn't actually exist.
    I guess there were probably loads of the puppet molds as they look like they screw onto a tree which would have fed in the latex and then rotated.

I have some of the small figure molds and also the original sculpt for thr Odd Job figure. I remember years ago seeing the original prototype RRace set and model for the 12 inch dolls. I had an opportunity to buy sheets of unmade Odd Job doll boxes once but it was a sealed bid scenario and I guess my bid was a bit light!

Would love to find one of the Thunderball Connery or Largo puppets. Have you ever seen the backing board for the Connery puppet?

Years ago I saw Bill Brugeman had a shop display for the Gilbert Bond dolls, I have nevr seen that

Nick
    edited January 2007
    ohm5s wrote:
    I guess there were probably loads of the puppet molds as they look like they screw onto a tree which would have fed in the latex and then rotated.

I'm guessing six or twelve. And they're vinyl, not latex. Trust me, I tried pouring one in latex!
    I have some of the small figure molds and also the original sculpt for thr Odd Job figure.

I rememember it coming-up for sale in the early '80s. At the time, I think it was US$ 1,000 or some such that seems ridiculously low by current standards.
    I remember years ago seeing the original prototype Race set ...

It was shown in L.A. in '94. I think one of the officers of the IFF owns it, or did then.
    I had an opportunity to buy sheets of unmade Odd Job doll boxes once but it was a sealed bid scenario and I guess my bid was a bit light!

Spy Guise used to have unmade "diorama" packaging for the small figures.
    Would love to find one of the Thunderball Connery or Largo puppets. Have you ever seen the backing board for the Connery puppet?

Surprised you don't have the Connery; not that hard to find ... if you have the money. I still kick myself for missing one on eBay at US$ 65; I paid alot more for mine, though nothing like they're getting now.

I'm convinced the Largo puppet never happened (but then, I thought that same about the Volante until this morning) as I've only ever seen a drawing and never even a single photo.

Funny you ask about the backing for the Connery. You almost never see an OddJob other than mounted on a board yet I've never a Connery other than loose. (I'm certain the OddJobs were a warehouse find.)

It's like those black suits with the red tie that Gilbert made for the 12" doll; you see them stitched to cello-wrapped cards, but never in the frame box. (I was told by the son of someone who worked there that when the factory closed-down, Gilbert was in the midst of producing these and lots of employees walked-off with the unfinished outfits as souveniers.)

On that same subject, has anyone ever seen the Sears outfits for the Connery? The tux, naval, or casual clothes? Also, I have seen photos of their Bond doll and once stupidly passed one up at a shop (again, a pittance by today's prices) but never the OddJob in his mourning suit.

You're right: My posts are long.
    edited January 2007
    Alan,

Are you saying that they didn't come out with the Disco Volante, but just advertised it?

Also, the handpuppet of Gilbert, why would that be so expensive? I've got an Oddjob one. Are we talking about the same thing?

Here is mine:

oddjobhandpuppet.jpg

Thanks!

Kees
    I have the standard Connery puppet and also have a picture of the backing card. I think the Odd Jobs made it into the stores but maybe the Connery was jobbed out when the factories closed and only got into the 5c bins.

The Thunderball Connery puppet has him in the scuba outfit holding a speargun, it was in the late 1965 catalog the one with the Beatles insert. Again I think the Largo was in this catalog and also the spring 1965 one.

I bought laods of the unmade cartons from Lee Pfeifer, I have had about 800 in all. A guy called Ed Sweet had more as well as factory sealed dolls. I probably single handedly ruined the UK market for these, it might recover one day but I don't think there is ever a week goes by that a small find of Gilbert toys turns up.

The Odd Job boxes were the full prints that had not been cut from the printers card, They would have looked fantastic framed.
    kees007 wrote:
    Are you saying that they didn't come out with the Disco Volante, but just advertised it?

I'm saying I have only ever seen catalog shots (and always the same shot at that). Nick appears to actually have one.
    Also, the handpuppet of Gilbert, why would that be so expensive? I've got an Oddjob one. Are we talking about the same thing?

Not sure why they've gone up so much--I've watched them go from under US$ 100 to over US$ 400--other than they're this kind of goofy yet iconographic item. I've seen dealers asking as much as US$ 750 for the OddJob, not that I've seen them get it, mind you.
    ohm5s wrote:
    The Thunderball Connery puppet has him in the scuba outfit holding a speargun, it was in the late 1965 catalog the one with the Beatles insert. Again I think the Largo was in this catalog and also the spring 1965 one.

Interesting. I've always thought of the blue Connery as based on Thunderball; in my mind, it's supposed to be him in the PCS sequence. (Let's face it, the whole Gilbert line was pretty much TB-centric.) No idea there was another.

Does the catalog show photos of actual Largo and SCUBA Bond puppets? As I noted, only ever saw a drawing of Largo (and Illya Kuryakin, etc.).
    I don't think there is ever a week goes by that a small find of Gilbert toys turns up.

There's a guy (Haskell?) in Florida that has cases and cases of virtually every Gilbert product, including the Aston. Why can't I ever stumble on one of those sweet deals ...
    I don't have the catalog showing the Tball Connery but you can see him in the lower shot. This shows a puppet mold that was available in the US about 8 years ago, is this the one you got AS?

Although its not too clear here lower left on thst cat page is the Connery on the card!!

largo.jpg
    puppet.JPG
    [quote=PoorMansJB
    There's a guy (Haskell?) in Florida that has cases and cases of virtually every Gilbert product, including the Aston. Why can't I ever stumble on one of those sweet deals ...[/quote]

Wow! Do you know how I can get a hold of him. I live in Florida. Maybe he doesn't even live far from here. That'd be interesting to see.

Kees
    ohm5s wrote:
    puppet.JPG

I never knew there were more than the one of Oddjob, and the one of Connery.

I've never seen this. It's amazing!

Kees
    ohm5s wrote:
    I don't have the catalog showing the Tball Connery but you can see him in the lower shot. This shows a puppet mold that was available in the US about 8 years ago, is this the one you got AS?

Can't quite tell. Right time frame but I'm not sure. This is mine (click for larger view):

acgpuppettoollrgcz5.th.jpg
    Although its not too clear here lower left on thst cat page is the Connery on the card!!

Sorry, yes, I have that photo; I meant I've never seen one on the market with the card. And that's the drawing I have of Largo so, again, I'm thinking it never got past that stage. However, the Illya next to him was definitely produced so I could be wrong.
    Jay Haskett is the guy. I bought a lot off him and got ripped off every time. He had case fresh stock and sent me pics of mint stuff but when I recieved my packages it was obvious that he picked me the worst of the lot.

He puts leg kicking dolls on Ebay that are faked up and also Swell rack packs which are original headers with a bag of used cards underneath.

Buyer Beware!!
    ohm5s wrote:
    Jay Haskett is the guy. I bought a lot off him and got ripped off every time. He had case fresh stock and sent me pics of mint stuff but when I recieved my packages it was obvious that he picked me the worst of the lot.

He puts leg kicking dolls on Ebay that are faked up and also Swell rack packs which are original headers with a bag of used cards underneath.

Buyer Beware!!

Thanks for letting me know. Since I live in Florida, I'll make sure to only deal with him, if I can come pick it up.

Kees
    kees007 wrote:
    Thanks for letting me know. Since I live in Florida, I'll make sure to only deal with him, if I can come pick it up.

Kees, either you misread Nick's post or didn't proof your reply; Nick is saying Haskett ripped him off by tampering with products. Personally, I didn't have any trouble, but I only bought a few items and he had been using me to vet some information about Gilbert beforehand so maybe he felt it best not to risk burning me.

Again, per Nick, buyer beware.