Sheena Easton - Academy Awards 1981

Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
I came across this over at CBn (which was posted by the appropriately named 4 Ur Eyes Only).

I actually saw this at the time and it came as quite a surprise to see it again after all these years.

Sheena Easton performs For Your Eyes Only at the 1981 Academy Awards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdG-VTTAEqU

Don't be put off by what you see in the first five seconds.

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    That's great - but really cheesy - typical '80s. Thanks for sharing.
    YNWA 97
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Staggeringly cheesy! And well done Oscar producers for making the audience hate the song by shoehorning in some of Bill Conti's rubbish score while you're at it.

It's also depressing to think that this was the last time a Bond film got an Oscar nomination :( - we've had another 9 films since then!
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Fantastic!! Great find, MNL! :)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited February 2007
    Wow :o Was that Richard Kiel lurking around in the background? I'm sure he was grateful for the work, but if there are two things that don't belong in the same sentence, they are 'Jaws' and 'Production Number' B-)

Ms Easton is as lovely as ever, here, and I like the song...but when the dancing starts, it's like a car wreck---from which one simply can't look away :(|)

I was in the military overseas when this Oscar show aired, so I'd never seen it before...thanks MNL!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Wow :o Was that Richard Kiel lurking around in the background? I'm sure he was grateful for the work, but if there are two things that don't belong in the same sentence, they are 'Jaws' and 'Production Number' B-)

Yes, Loeff's. That was Richard Kiel in the background. I remember thinking to myself at the time "What the hell is he doing there?" It was not just that 'Jaws' and 'Production Number' don't belong together, it was also "He's not in FYEO".

Looking back, it appears to be a very good indicator of just how popular Richard Kiel/Jaws were at the time.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    I believe Cubby Broccoli was awarded a special award that same evening, so the presence of OddJob and Jaws underscored the entire tone of the evening.

I had missed the show (bad VCR) so this was my first time to see it. Gad, it was awful. James Bond and production numbers do not mix. And Sheena Easton looked like a bad imitation of Judy Garland in her later years.
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    why was Richard kiel there does anybody now what the relevence of it is?