Shady Tree

I never understood the relevance of Shady Tree in DAF. We first come across him when Bond sees an advert in a magazine for his act, and instantly seems to suspect him. Perhaps some previous link to Tree was removed from the final edit, because as it stands there is no reason for Bond to suspect Tree.

Anyway, Bond goes to spy on Tree, but he gets killed by Wint and Kidd. We can assume that Shady is one of the links in the smuggling pipeline, all of whom are being targeted for elimination by Wint and Kidd (I assume they are working for Blofeld, who wants them to kill off the pipeline now that he has enough diamonds). Joe, the helicopter pilot, the South African dentist, Plenty (mistaken for Tiffany), and Shady are all killed. Tiffany is targetted, as is Bond (posing as Peter Franks), though for some reason they don't go after Slumber.

We don't know what Shady's role in the operation was meant to be, but as Saxby says "we didn't get the real diamonds, so we need Tree" we can assume he was a vital link. But i never understood on what ground does Bond suspect him of being one of the smugglers?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    A scene where Wint and Kidd kill Shady was removed from the film, as were a few others causing some of the plotting confusion in the final edit.
    Shady Tree was a character in the novel, and there he was not a comedian but definitely one of the gangsters.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    I never understood the relevance of Shady Tree in DAF. We first come across him when Bond sees an advert in a magazine for his act, and instantly seems to suspect him. Perhaps some previous link to Tree was removed from the final edit, because as it stands there is no reason for Bond to suspect Tree.

The first sighting of Shady is not in the magazine, but in the scene before. Shady is the man who picks up the diamonds from the Slumber Rest Home, and he's the one who unleashes the rant about the diamonds being "phonies" when Bond is released from the coffin. Bond is therefore surprised to see him in the magazine, as it means he has located one of the people implicated in the diamond smuggling.

Shady is the link between Morton Slumber and The Whyte House. If he had obtained the real diamonds from the crematorium, he would have carried them to Whyte/Blofeld at his place of work as a link in the pipeline - presumably to Burt Saxby, who manages the hotel and knows of Tree's involvement in the diamond smuggling plot. Wint and Kidd then kill Tree because he has fulfilled the end of his role - Blofeld now has the last of his diamonds to complete the satellite, and so as a link in the chain he is not needed any more. This is why it's "most annoying" that he's dead - a link has been broken before its time.

I think it's safe to assume that Morton Slumber is dead, even though we don't see it onscreen.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    Are you sure that the "you lying limey those diamonds are phonies"" guy was Shady? I thought it was the "I didn't know there was a pool down there" dude, played by Marc Lawrence, though I perhaps got that wrong.

As for Slumber, is there any reason to assume he dies?
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    Marc Lawrence played Slumber's assistant and Leonard Barr played Shady.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Are you sure that the "you lying limey those diamonds are phonies"" guy was Shady?

Yup, that's Shady alright. As Tilly says, he was played by Leonard Barr. Marc Lawrence's character (who doesn't rate a name, although it has been speculated that it's Rodney from TMWTGG since he's also Marc Lawrence) first appears with his two cohorts to meet 007, as Peter Franks, at the airport.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    The whole Shady Tree thing felt like pointless 'Person Placement' its so embarassing the DAF is a Bond movie.

Sorry Dan..................... lol
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    As for Slumber, is there any reason to assume he dies?

He's a link in the pipeline, like all the others. The only ones who survive are Bond (obviously) and Tiffany (because they kill Plenty by accident). Everyone else is murdered by Wint & Kidd.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Sorry Dan..................... lol
    No need to apologise. ;) Although I adore Connery's performance and I think that DAF has some terrific elements, I am much less fond of DAF than I once was. I do enjoy it, but it's lower on my (still-forming) list than it once was.

BTW, if you insult GF, I would be furious. X-( ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • positivelyshockingpositivelyshocking Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    I have to say that it isn't traditional cinema Bond, neither is it Fleming type literary Bond, but for me DAF is a film I really enjoy.

I know it's not a fashionable opinion but I think it's witty, pacy and has some assured performances from all the main actors. Even Charles Gray's crossdressing Blofeld is forgivable for some reason!!

Ok there is much to criticise but then, there is in most Bond films.

Just my humble opinion.