Drink driving

Coming at it from a legal perspective, do we think that JB could be guilty of DUI in CR??

Thinking back to the amount of units of alcohol in the 'Vespers' he is consuming during the poker game (and granted he has parted with his stomach contents by the time he's driving after Vesper) then I think this could be likely.

I would volunteer to slap the cuffs on him for it :v ;)

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Well it's a good thing Le Chiffre got to him before the cops could! :))
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    "Drink Driving?" Lava, have you had one too many yourself? :))

Yes, let's have Bond blow into a breathalyzer or take a field sobriety test. That would be a great scene. 8-)

"Now Mr. Bond, beginning with "Z," please state the alphabet backwards."

Come to think of it, a great gag could be played when Bond reaches "Q," but for some strange reason I don't see anything like this happening in the Craig films. :v

Bond was far from drunk at that moment in CR. However, perhaps if we knew Bond's blood-alcohol concentration at that time or the legal limit in Montenegro we could make a better judgement.

Bond had a much greater chance of getting pulled over for speeding. How bout that? Think of the irony: the gadgets (a radar gun in this case) turn against Bond for a change.

I find it funny that in order to set a good example for children the producers banned Bond from smoking, yet he still can have a few drinks and get behind the wheel of a motor vehical. We all know that alcohol is responsible for far more deaths than tobacco products. Yet what do we commonly associate with our beloved hero: vodka martinis. That's not going to fuel the curiosity of our youth.

Listen up Eon, Bond needs a DD (Designated Driver). :))

With that said, bottoms up! -{
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    lavabubble wrote:
    Coming at it from a legal perspective, do we think that JB could be guilty of DUI in CR??

Thinking back to the amount of units of alcohol in the 'Vespers' he is consuming during the poker game (and granted he has parted with his stomach contents by the time he's driving after Vesper) then I think this could be likely.

I would volunteer to slap the cuffs on him for it :v ;)

Oh my God, Lavabubble!!! Was my skepticism misplaced? Could the good Reverend Haggard really have become "completely heterosexual" after a couple weeks as he claims? Of course, for him to slap the cuffs on Craig might lead to a "relapse." :))

As for 007, if I were him, I'd concentrate on beating all those murder raps first before I worried too much about the DUI (not that I condone either of those things). :))
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    Oh my God, Lavabubble!!! Was my skepticism misplaced? Could the good Reverend Haggard really have become "completely heterosexual" after a couple weeks as he claims? Of course, for him to slap the cuffs on Craig might lead to a "relapse." :))
    Am I missing something? ?:) Wasn't Lavabubble talking about handcuffing Craig herself?

BTW, if you're going to talk about things like DUIs, well, I want to know wether Bond was using contraception? If not, then perhaps in Bond 22, a Bond girl could announce she's pregnant or a doctor could inform Bond he has an STD. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    james Bond, always drinking, never drunk

and even if they tried to pull bond over for speeding or drink driving. how is a police car, most likely a Citreon or a Vauxhall, the most expensive police car I've ever seen was In spain where they all drive BMWs. going to catch an Aston Martin DBS anyway?

Now Bond can be charged with evading the law aswell.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    "Drink Driving?" Lava, have you had one too many yourself? :))
    No typo, Tee Hee -- they call it "drink driving" over there.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Solaris wrote:
    how is a police car, most likely a Citreon or a Vauxhall, the most expensive police car I've ever seen was In spain where they all drive BMWs.
    Strathclyde's traffic department must be raking it in from all those cameras; Mercedes-Benz seem to be the supplier of choice for pursuit vehicles here. While general pottering around on the motorways picking up bits of crashed car is done by Range Rover...

I wouldn't be too worried about the drink driving more than the fact he was very almost dead only a few hours before, having to be doped up and given a large electric shock to get him back on track. I wasn't allowed to drive for 24 hours after I got my head cut open, and that was hardly a near death experience...
    unitedkingdom.png
    There was an article in this month's Motor Trend on how easy/difficult it is to outdrive regular (American) police cars, even with a car as small as a Mazda Miata. However, they also had a section on the world's fastest cop cars. Te two that could compete with the DBS were a customized Lamborghini Gallardo for the Italian police and a Brabus tuned Mercedes Benz for the German police - capable of speeds up to 227 mph!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    I find it funny that in order to set a good example for children the producers banned Bond from smoking, yet he still can have a few drinks and get behind the wheel of a motor vehical. We all know that alcohol is responsible for far more deaths than tobacco products. Yet what do we commonly associate with our beloved hero: vodka martinis. That's not going to fuel the curiosity of our youth.

Well, he did have a high speed crash and injure himself very badly, so I think it should be quite clear that he shouldn't have done it!
    emtiem wrote:
    Well, he did have a high speed crash and injure himself very badly, so I think it should be quite clear that he shouldn't have done it!

That's rubbish. Bond's accident was not alcohol related. Bond was driving very quickly to catch up with Vesper's kidnappers and had to swerve abruptly when her body was tossed into the middle of the road. If there is a message in that scene it sure isn't "don't drink and drive" it's "don't run over people in the road." And that's not common sense or human instinct. 8-)

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited March 2007
    If he'd been drunk, he'd likely not have swerved in time, and would have turned his leading lady into hamburger... :o :D
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    If he'd been drunk, he'd likely not have swerved in time, and would have turned his leading lady into hamburger... :o :D

In retrospect, learning later of Vesper's treachery, I think there may be a part of Bond that wishes he did run over "the bitch." :D

-Roger Moore
    Dan Same wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    Am I missing something? ?:) Wasn't Lavabubble talking about handcuffing Craig herself?

BTW, if you're going to talk about things like DUIs, well, I want to know wether Bond was using contraception? If not, then perhaps in Bond 22, a Bond girl could announce she's pregnant or a doctor could inform Bond he has an STD. :))

Yes -- you are missing something, Dan. But just as I'm always willing to enlighten you about CR's plot ( ;) ), I'm only too happy to fill you in on this as well:

I'm sure Lavabubble -- like most Americans -- has heard of the Rev. Ted Haggard, one of the leading anti-gay evangelicals in the U.S., who, it was revealed, just happens to enjoy the occasional, methamphetamine-fueled massage by a male prostitute (and honestly -- doesn't everyone?). Haggard admitted certain -- shall we say --liberal urges and resigned his position as pastor of his church. But there is a happy ending to the story: After two weeks of intensive counseling, Ted was able to announce he was now "100 percent heterosexual." A sort of James Bond of the cloth, if you will.
    I didn't think that was quite possible.

Now the joke: When Lavabubble, who routinely refers to her lady friend as her "beloved," said she'd like to put the cuffs on Craig (I detected a twinkle in her post), I saw the opportunity to make a small joke about the reverend's own unlikely conversion. Noting, of course, that cuffing Craig would not have worked as well for Haggard as it apparently did for her. :D

Well, I hope she got it, anyway :))
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    and kill people... Come on only complete retards copy stuff because it's in a film.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    and kill people... Come on only complete retards copy stuff because it's in a film.

Your slightly wrong there, anyone who has posted on the Collecting forum on this site about getting the clothing from CR is copying something from the film, the clothing. It is highly unlikely someone will go out and start killing people and seducing married women because of what is seen in CR, but people do want to emulate Bond. that is why they took smoking out of the more recent bond films. or thats my view anyway.
    Tee Hee wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

That's rubbish. Bond's accident was not alcohol related. Bond was driving very quickly to catch up with Vesper's kidnappers and had to swerve abruptly when her body was tossed into the middle of the road. If there is a message in that scene it sure isn't "don't drink and drive" it's "don't run over people in the road." And that's not common sense or human instinct. 8-)

Well, the lesson is probably 'don't drive too fast'!
    Solaris wrote:
    s96024 wrote:

Your slightly wrong there, anyone who has posted on the Collecting forum on this site about getting the clothing from CR is copying something from the film, the clothing. It is highly unlikely someone will go out and start killing people and seducing married women because of what is seen in CR, but people do want to emulate Bond. that is why they took smoking out of the more recent bond films. or thats my view anyway.

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely bang on.
  • lavabubblelavabubble Posts: 229MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007

Being a Brit after a few drinks he's more likely to have stopped for a hamburger lol
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

Yes -- you are missing something, Dan. But just as I'm always willing to enlighten you about CR's plot ( ;) ), I'm only too happy to fill you in on this as well:

I'm sure Lavabubble -- like most Americans -- has heard of the Rev. Ted Haggard, one of the leading anti-gay evangelicals in the U.S., who, it was revealed, just happens to enjoy the occasional, methamphetamine-fueled massage by a male prostitute (and honestly -- doesn't everyone?). Haggard admitted certain -- shall we say --liberal urges and resigned his position as pastor of his church. But there is a happy ending to the story: After two weeks of intensive counseling, Ted was able to announce he was now "100 percent heterosexual." A sort of James Bond of the cloth, if you will.

Now the joke: When Lavabubble, who routinely refers to her lady friend as her "beloved," said she'd like to put the cuffs on Craig (I detected a twinkle in her post), I saw the opportunity to make a small joke about the reverend's own unlikely conversion. Noting, of course, that cuffing Craig would not have worked as well for Haggard as it apparently did for her. :D

HH spot on as always {[], eliciting from me both a wry smile re: Holy Haggard and a hearty laugh about what was made of my (off the) cuff comment ;%!!! If anyone else wants to cuff DC then they can form an orderly queue behind me lol My beloved has male star who does for her what DC does for me so its all good, we like to play fair in our house :))

I was just making a point about the film, nothing too heavy, certainly didn't expect the ensuing amount of discussion. Sure it's more likely that someone would drink drive than become a spy but hey, who knows what tomorrow brings! Movie reality is so suspended it makes you wonder why they go to so much trouble to try and make the storylines believeable.

So in conclusion, JB is a moral reprobate who drink drives, rides bareback, kills, maims, and has misogynistic tendencies but ultimately gets the job done - long may he continue :p :D!!!
    lavabubble wrote:
    I was just making a point about the film, nothing too heavy, certainly didn't expect the ensuing amount of discussion.

What the hell -- It's a long way to November 2008. Bond's drinking and driving habits are as good a topic as any.

By the way -- I didn't realize you were British. I had some idea that you were an American from LA, so my Haggard joke must have gone right over your head. Do I ever feel like an idiot, after being so smart-aleck-y with Dan. :))

Now the lesbian thing I got right away ...
    I hate all this BS about film censorship. Just because there are a few morons out there who have copied films. Only the most stupid people would go out and smoke because they saw it in a film. It's just another example of this nanny society we live in.
    But it is less stupid to smart smoking because your friends do it? I mean, what is the difference between doing stupid things because of a movie and doing stupid things because of society? Not that you were implying that, but I'm still bringing it up.
    Well exactly but I don't see the govt making tobacco a class C drug. Greedy so and so's. 99.9999% of people can ditinguish between reality and film. So everybody loses out.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    highhopes wrote:

Thanks, I now see the joke. :) (I had actually heard of Haggard, as I often watch American morning shows, but I wasn't sure what he had to do with Lavabubble. ;))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited March 2007
    s96024 wrote:
    I hate all this BS about film censorship. Just because there are a few morons out there who have copied films. Only the most stupid people would go out and smoke because they saw it in a film. It's just another example of this nanny society we live in.

Well not really, it's just someone being realistic. I'm against most things stopped from being shown and claimed that 'people will imitate' (usually violent stuff), but smoking falls under an appearance thing for Bond quite often, and people do imitate the way he dresses and looks (some people even think a diving watch is stylish! :o ). If you've never pretended to be Bond when you've had a dinner jacket on or smoked a cigarette like Sean did, then you're a better man than I!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I'm sure I read somewhere that it was Barbara B who made the decision that Bond shouldn't be seen smoking. I'm not entirely sure, but seeing as there are no censorship laws dictating that characters should not smoke, it must have come from the producers. Or maybe it's a general rule in mainstream Hollywood films now. I'm trying to think of the last big movie I saw in which the leading man/woman smoked. ?:)
    emtiem wrote:
    s96024 wrote:

Well not really, it's just someone being realistic. I'm against most things stopped from being shown and claimed that 'people will imitate' (usually violent stuff), but smoking falls under an appearance thing for Bond quite often, and people do imitate the way he dresses and looks (some people even think a diving watch is stylish! :o ). If you've pretended to be Bond when you've had a dinner jacket on or smoked a cigarette like Sean did, then you're a better man than I!

I kind of agree about the silly smoking censorship. But I have to say, after seeing CR, that there is no way in hell Bond could have done the physical things he did in that film on 60 Morelands a day (and I'm not talking about Vesper :D ). As a former smoker, and a heavy one at that, all that running around, fighting, climbing, etc ... Bond would have spent half the movie coughing up a lung. If anything, a nonsmoking 21st century Bond seems more realistic to me than the smoking variety.
    edited March 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    s96024 wrote:

Well not really, it's just someone being realistic. I'm against most things stopped from being shown and claimed that 'people will imitate' (usually violent stuff), but smoking falls under an appearance thing for Bond quite often, and people do imitate the way he dresses and looks (some people even think a diving watch is stylish! :o ). If you've never pretended to be Bond when you've had a dinner jacket on or smoked a cigarette like Sean did, then you're a better man than I!

This is the problem. It's like saying bond shouldn't drive a car because some kid might think I want to be like him and start driving their parents car around. Can you imagine how boring films and games would be if they were not allowed to show anything that some moronic kid could copy. You have to put things in context. How many people would start smoking because they saw someone smoking on TV. I would guess maybe 1 in 10billion. How many people have gone and shot someone becuase they saw it in a game or film. Maybe 20 people in my lifetime that's probably something like 0.0000000000000001%. Which in most of those cases they would have done it anyway. This really, really annoys me. It's like you can't take a photo of your son playing football without asking every other kids parents if it's ok.

As I said before smoking is horrible and should be banned, but the way to stop people smoking is not to ban smoking in films.

I'm out of this conversation before I say something I regret.
  • IanT007IanT007 Posts: 117MI6 Agent
    Firstly, and on a serious note... James Bond is a rolemodel for a lot of men (women too maybe dunno), so I think EON do feel a slight responsibility for his actions ie smoking.

Secondly, and on a less serious note... what's wrong with seducing married woman if they look like Solange?
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Tee Hee wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Or perhaps the message is 'Don't LIE in the middle of the road because you may cause an accident!' :D

I hope you took note kids!
    edited March 2007
    IanT007 wrote:
    Firstly, and on a serious note... James Bond is a rolemodel for a lot of men (women too maybe dunno), so I think EON do feel a slight responsibility for his actions ie smoking.

Secondly, and on a less serious note... what's wrong with seducing married woman if they look like Solange?

If your going with that sort of mindset, any form of fighting should therefore be removed? Oh and gambling, that's terrible. What a great film CR would have been with no fighting, no poker, no fast driving. The thing I find starange is peoples tollerances to violence/sex gore are so much higher now and films these days really push the boundarys on these aspects. But, smoking, that's a major no no.

Damn I couldn't resist. I need more self control.

Maybe I'll start smoking.
  • Neville JamesNeville James Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    I miss Bond Smoking. It seems such a vital part of Flemming's Creation...
    When reading the books you get a real feel of reflection when Bond lights up, usualy after an in depth description of a meal, breakfast in FRWL anyone?

I know the world has changed and smoking is bad for you etc, etc. But it seems now that in movies the only time you ever see anyone light up is if they are doing a period piece.

Having said that Brosnan looked stupid smoking the cigar in DAD. I wasn't even lit right!

George looked coolest smoking in the DBS while chasing Tracy, that was properly lit, with ease and coordination...