David Arnold Discusses Screentests

From MI6.

David Arnold discusses screentesting the new James Bond, and Daniel Craig's competition

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=4863

In an interview with The London Paper this week, James Bond composer David Arnold spoke about the casting process that landed Daniel Craig the role of 007 back in October 2005 - and the actors who narrowly missed out.

Arnold told the paper, "I was there for the casting. We screentested three people and we did music for all of them. It was not a reading - they were shot on set, properly lit, in costume, with cast, and Martin Campbell directed them. Daniel was the one who really made you sit up."

The other two contenders were Henry Cavill - a Channel Islander who was 22 at the time of the screen tests, and Sam Worthington - an Australian actor who was 29 at the time.

Arnold says both of Craig's competitors "were terrific, but very different. Henry Cavill was more traditional and Sam Worthington was very young. But I think Barbara Broccoli had her eye on Daniel for a long time."

Former James Bond actors Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan were all seriously considered for the 007 role years ahead of them ultimately slipping into the famous tuxedo. So in a few years time, when Daniel Craig decides to holster the PPK, do not be surprised if Worthington and Cavill are back in the frame.

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Why does he say Worthington was young if Cavill is 7 years younger?
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    He looks younger?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    They went with the right actor in Daniel Craig.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Having seen CR, obviously Craig was the way to go. I was a Cavill booster, but he's obviously too young to do it the way it was done.

I still think Mr. Cavill is the Bond of the future. :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I wasn't sure about either of them when their names were banded around. but, you never know, I can see Cavill doing it in a few years.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Some people on other forums did see the tests and I remember them saying Cavill was pretty good. I'm surprised myself (you'd think if he was that good he'd have done something we might have heard of!) but I'm willing to go with it.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I dunno, Loeff, em. Cavill’s boyish and rather commonly handsome -- interchangeable with a dozen actors. Craig is not only more distinctive, but he also looks like a man. I’d rather stick with that “type,” even after Craig leaves.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Gassy Man wrote:
    I dunno, Loeff, em. Cavill’s boyish and rather commonly handsome -- interchangeable with a dozen actors. Craig is not only more distinctive, but he also looks like a man. I’d rather stick with that “type,” even after Craig leaves.

We'll see, of course. Nobody can predict where Bond will go when Craig departs...but history shows us the character and tone are cyclical. Cavill won't always be as boyish as he is at 23, and something tells me Bond will be traditionally handsome again at some point.

That said, I'm anticipating many positive things in the current regime.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM