risks of buying fakes over the internet

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
have recently read an interesting article about possible consequences for buying fakes (personally or over the net).

Let me tell you, that the reason, why I dislike fakes is not, because they affect my business (I strongly doubt it), I dislike them, because they are crap.

So, if a fake item is identified at the border, it will be retained there and be destroyed.

The buyer may then loose his payment and can only try to get his money back from the seller, who usually sits at the other end of the globe.
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• KleynenKleynen BelgiumPosts: 396MI6 Agent
    One question: Can you explain the difference between a fake and a replica?:s
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having a fake or replica watch in a Bond collection.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Kleynen wrote:
    One question: Can you explain the difference between a fake and a replica?:s
    In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having a fake or replica watch in a Bond collection.

No difference between a fake and replica. Both illegal and fund terrorists and organised crime. If you think there is nothing wrong with this, then go ahead.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    A replica is not always a fake and therefore not always illegal or "funding terrorism". Infact a replica would imply it is not a illegal copy. There are plenty of replicas which are legitimate copies with the permission from the owners of the original item. Also it would only be illegal if you sold it. You can make whatever you like for yourself. Most people don't realise or even care they are indirectly supporting criminals. What percentage of americans bought bootleg alchohol during prohibition and how many people buy copied dvd's.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    We are talking about watches here though, not props or other items. A replica watch produced by a reputable company such as Casio or Rotary is fine. A replica or fake watch with company logos and copyrighted design infringements are another matter. Bootleg DVD's are not as responsible as the fake watch industry for OC ot terrorist funding. The fake watch and designer goods industry has more than 60% of the market funding these activities compared to about 4% that the bootleg music/dvd industry does.

Education is the key here. If people knew what they were buying into, a fair proportion of those folk would change their minds damned quickly. I, as a few of the people here know spent alot of time in NI, and Versace T-shirt and jean rip-offs funded many of the activities there. The fake watch industry also funded PIRA through middle eastern countries and organisations that have now metamorphosised into Taliban and AQ.

Sorry for the rant, but I have really strong feelings about this. The amount of money that is channeled into the very things we are firmly against is astounding. That's why I wouldn't touch them with a 50ft barge pole.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • ady007ady007 Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    regardless of people buying replica/fake watches terrosists are still going to be funded no matter what (crime/drugs etc). i myself have been classed guilty of purchasing replica watches quite possibly infringing copyright but i have delt direct with the company producing them and have found them to be courtous and very helpfull not rip off at all if things are damaged they send replacements straight out no questions asked, and are more reliable than some mail order companys here in the uk. and when i am in the finacial position to purchase a genuiune rolex/omega i will have a good idea of what to expect since i would love a rolex submariner but at present do not have the cash to spend on a relitive unessercy timepiece however a £80 replica just for my collection is a great additio and really looks the part.

im not condoning it and this is just my opion so dont shoot me for it but i have had nothing for praise for some of these companys since many must be reputable (not crooked apart from infringing rules) and are just trying to make a living. not to mention rolex wont miss out on profit from me since i would be happy when i have the spare money to purchase a genuiune watch as i am happy with what i have seen of the rolex submariner replica.