Would it matter to you...

wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
...if Bond wasn't made in Britain?

I only ask because today the 5-live Breakfast Show (UK) came from Elstree Studios (it also contained an interview with Roger Moore and a fair bit of Bond chat), but the thing that really suprised me is that no contract has been signed yet for Bond 22 to be shot at the 007 stage.

Given that production is due to start early next year I would of thought it needs to be booked soon - or it may not happen.

Clearly this is bad for the British film industry but would it bother you?

Comments

• SkywalkerSkywalker Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    words wrote:
    ...if Bond wasn't made in Britain?

I only ask because today the 5-live Breakfast Show (UK) came from Elstree Studios (it also contained an interview with Roger Moore and a fair bit of Bond chat), but the thing that really suprised me is that no contract has been signed yet for Bond 22 to be shot at the 007 stage.

Given that production is due to start early next year I would of thought it needs to be booked soon - or it may not happen.

Clearly this is bad for the British film industry but would it bother you?

I think Pinewood has a traditional attatchment to the Bond series and rightly so. The same can be said of the Star Wars movies. To answer your question, I would prefer it to be at Pinewood, but I don't think the production would be affected if it was shot elsewhere.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    I don't know really... but I would like to see proper British Locations in it when in London or around MI6 - so do not want it entrirely filmed in a studio in USA or Prague etc. Otherweise might as well watch a film about the FBI/CIA etc
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:
    I don't know really... but I would like to see proper British Locations in it when in London or around MI6 - so do not want it entrirely filmed in a studio in USA or Prague etc. Otherweise might as well watch a film about the FBI/CIA etc

That's a good point actually. i don't know if not shooting at Elstree affects the use of London locations as well. Look what happened with LTK, which turned out like an extended episode of Miami Vice...
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I agree with Skywalker. I would like to see the British film industry and all its workers benefit from the Bond franchise. That said, the inside of a studio is the inside of a studio. Wasn't MR shot entirely in French studios? LTK had a Miami Vice look because of where it was shot, not because of where it wasn't shot. The same goes in reverse -- YOLT hardly has the look of Britain since no scenes are set there, yet its interiors were all shot at Pinewood, including the world-famous volcano set.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • CatarinitaCatarinita Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:

Absolutely agree. For me Bond-film without propere British Locations, as you say, is not complete. I like those Flemming's descriptions, and want see at least ome part of them on the screen.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    words wrote:
    today the 5-live Breakfast Show (UK) came from Elstree Studios (it also contained an interview with Roger Moore and a fair bit of Bond chat)

Today's Five Live Breakfast Show is available in full by clicking on the link below, then click on Fri. The Roger Moore interview begins at 1hr 40min.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/breakfast.shtml
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited April 2007
    Actually, I believe the Venice interiors (the sinking house) was the only bit of the film shot at Pinewood, on the 007 soundstage...and they wrapped just days before it burnt down. Other bits, such as the 'Miami airport' chase scene and an Eton cricket field dressed to look like Pakistan (which was edited from the final cut) were filmed in the U.K....but the vast majority was shot in the Czech Republic and the Bahamas.

I do hope Pinewood is able to secure #22; I think Bond's home should be where it has been for most of the series---but it's a business, and Eon will go where the cost (and taxation) climate is most favourable.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Yeah, LTK came to mind, but despite the Miami Vice feel, I don't think the studio location made a difference; it was the unique direction made for LTK that made it different. Interiors can be done anywhere and unless there needs to be extensive exterior shots to establish UK locations, a Bond film can be shot anywhere. A case in point is LALD, which had no exterior UK shots; its interior shots could then have been done anywhere.

Weren't the studio scenes of MR similarly shot abroad, in France? That didn't really take away from its "feel" as a typical Bond film.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Weren't the studio scenes of MR similarly shot abroad, in France? That didn't really take away from its "feel" as a typical Bond film.

I will quote direct from James Bond - The Legacy. After a debate about basing the film in Hollywood, the moviemakers decided to take over Paris, a move which required leasing virtually every inch of soundstage space in the city's three studios.
    edited April 2007
    I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I suppose...as long as Eon retains Bond (and manages to stave off supes' dreams of revolution! :) ), I'd prefer that they shot them at Pinewood. Apparently Eon feels that way as well, since I'm not sure whether the facilities necessary to stage the 'sinking house' bit aren't also available in Prague these days.

I thought I'd read something, somewhere, that Eon said they wanted some of CR shot on the 007 Stage, for traditions' sake...could be wrong about that...

I know Kubrick always worked in the U.K., but most likely because it was as far as possible from the meddling money-men :v ...

Supes is right, though...technically, they can (and will, if necessary) shoot these pictures anywhere.

Then again, we have the feelings put forth by the makers of films like the Batman and Star Wars series, who said that shooting in the U.K. gave the films something perhaps less tangible, but valuable nonetheless---a sense of atmosphere. Producers will gladly fake that for the right price, though :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,290Chief of Staff
    Producers will gladly fake that for the right price, though :))

My old boss used to (frequently) say:

"Sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made..."

Personally, it doesn't bother me where the interiors are shot so long as the film delivers.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Personally, it doesn't bother me where the interiors are shot so long as the film delivers.

Same here. I'm more interested in what they do with Bond 22, than where they decide to film it. And the 'Miami Vice' feel to LTK didn't bother me that much, but then I always kind of liked MV.
  • jen07jen07 Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Right! The storyline is more deserving of a talk.

Barbel wrote:

Same here. I'm more interested in what they do with Bond 22, than where they decide to film it. And the 'Miami Vice' feel to LTK didn't bother me that much, but then I always kind of liked MV.

I'll agree with that as well.The most important thing with this movie is the quality of it's storyline-as opposed to where it's made.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

I'll agree with that as well.The most important thing with this movie is the quality of it's storyline-as opposed to where it's made.
    Indeed. That Moonraker shifted production to France due to the strike in the UK did not have an effect on the film's quality or 'Bond-ness'. The 1979 film was still an outrageously good fun Bond picture.

I'm more interested in what the film is like than where it is shot or produced, whether that be in the UK or elsewhere.
    As long as they keep making them {[]
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    As long as they keep making them {[]

Yes, I'll drink to that! {[]