Director linked

to Bond 22: Marc Forster. Also Tony Scott, Alex Proyas, and Jonathon Mostow, but Forster seems to be one the Latino Review is pumping as in the pike to get the gig.

http://latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2030

After watching what Forster did in "Stranger Than Fiction," I'd be down with him doing a Bond. Not wild about any of the others.

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't want Forster. He is yet to make a thriller and is arguably at his best with smaller human dramas/comedies (such as Monster's Ball.) I hope he doesn't get the gig.

Of the directors that you mentioned, I would accept Tony Scott as I think he could do a pretty good job.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I really liked Stranger Than Fiction. However, I'm not sure Forster would suit Bond. Mostow is decent enough, but lacks inspiration. Tony Scott might lack any form of subtlety whatsoever, but I like his movies. Don't know if he'd take the gig though. Alex Proyas I don't want anywhere near 007. Not after what happened to Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    edited May 2007
    Tony Scott seems an ideal (and obvious) choice---which is why he won't be doing it :# During DAD's post-release press, I remember reading about how Brozzer would have loved to see Scott helm one of his Bonds...

Eon loves to give these 'small film' guys a shot at tackling a sprawling big-budget actioner (Spottiswoode and Apted come to mind), so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Forster get the gig.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Haven't liked a Scott film since TRUE ROMANCE, and even that was a hammy working of the material.
    John Drake wrote:
    Alex Proyas I don't want anywhere near 007. Not after what happened to Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow.
    You don't really think that there's a serious risk of Craig getting killed do you? :o
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited May 2007
    I think that Alex Proyas could be an interesting choice however the problem is that he's so interesting and so creative, and therefore I think he is too much of an auteur to be a good Bond director. He would be my least desired choice among these four. I have already talked about Scott (my choice among these directors) and Forster (I don't think he should be hired.) As for Mostow, well I loved Breakdown, however I'm not a big fan of T3. I think he's a capable, if not extraordinary director, which could work perfectly with a producer-driven series like the Bond films. Of these four directors, my preferences are, in descending order, Scott, Mostow, Forster and Proyas.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    John Drake wrote:
    Alex Proyas I don't want anywhere near 007. Not after what happened to Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow.
    You don't really think that there's a serious risk of Craig getting killed do you? :o

I can't see an accident like that happneing these days.
  • 2nd blind mouse2nd blind mouse Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    [quote:Dan Same]I wouldn't want Forster. He is yet to make a thriller and is arguably at his best with smaller human dramas/comedies[/quote]Well that does seem to be the direction Bond films are slowly taking lately. Or to be more precise Forster, with Tarantino as assistant director/choreographer.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I guess my issue with Scott and Proyas and Mostow is they're all so...pedestrian. They crank out Hollywood product jazzed up with MTV-styled film techniques of the moment. At least in STF, Forster should some originality. When I think crank 'em out directors, I think of all the not very watchable Bond films we've had over the years; when I think more original directors, I think of the handful of superlative Bond films we've had. This isn't 100% true (Apted blew chunks all over TWINE, Campbell hit a home run with CR), but I am feeling pretty good about the tippy top of the Bond production ladder, unlike during the last twenty years or so, so going with a director like Forster, who'll be backed up by the production team and philosophy that made CR, I can see working. Those other three would be lesser options IMHO, simply because their approach to cinematic story-telling is more like big screen TV than making an actual movie...not that that's not fun sometimes, I liked a lot of the movies those guys made, just rather not see a Scott or Proyas or Mostow Bond film. JMHO.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    What's the nationality of the candidates? Because Eon have always gone with Brits or - at a pinch - Commonwealth. I'm not 100%, but I would say Tony Scott is the only UK citizen there.

Furthermore, given their habit of grabbing good directors when they are on a downward swing (Spottiswood, Apted and Tamahori were somewhat distant from their critical and commercial hits, and after they made Campbell with GE, they went back to him after he'd had a couple of bombs instead of after the massive Mask of Zorro), I can see them having a pop at the underperforming Tony Scott. I can't see him doing it, though - even though he has basically made the same film about fifteen times, I think he would consider himself too talented for the film.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    John Drake wrote:

Not on a Bond film. The technical guys are among the best and most experienced in the business, so I doubt they'd let the kind of negligence that happened on the set of The Crow arise. But if I was the current 007, and Eon were considering hiring somebody who's most famous film resulted in the death of its leading man, I would be a little nervous.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    Mostow and Scott would be wrong. Far too high Jerry Buckenheimer - factor!
    The two others would be taking chances, and taking chances sometimes pay of and somtimes end in disaster.