Re: OFFICIAL: Marc Forster to direct Bond 22

Lady Rose wrote:
Loeffelholz wrote:

Looks like I need to see some of this guy's work...   ajb007/embarrassed

Me too. I haven't seen any of his work so I will have to go and have a look before I can have an opinion either way.

Same here. He does seem like a leftfield choice though.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Kinda reminds me a bit of Young or (early) Hamilton or Hunt...a young creative guy strong on character work and great story-telling.  Guess that is leftfield for Bond these days, CR excepted. ajb007/wink  Viva la new EON!

Have to say, watching bits of Layer Cake last night, I'm surprised that Matthew Vaughan was never considered. I'd have thought he'd be just right for a Bond film, but perhaps the whole  series is different now anyway, and I'm still judging by old rules...

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Have to say, watching bits of Layer Cake last night, I'm surprised that Matthew Vaughan was never considered.

A reliable source tells me that the Stardust shoot went very badly, which is a possible reason why Vaughan isn't involved. Remember that he was also slated to direct X-Men 3 at one point.

diVicenzo wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Exactly. I don't know if this is really a good idea. He's a talented director but his best films are small intimate dramas/comedies.

Daniel Craig had never done action either but look how good he was! ajb007/tongue ajb007/wink

He was good in what? ajb007/amazed ajb007/tongue ajb007/biggrin (You're right, he was great in the action scenes, but as far as the acting goes... ajb007/wink)

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Just been looking up Forsters work. Nothing of any note really and nothing I find appealing.

I will just have to wait and see what he turns out.

On a different note, I noticed he is younger than me. That means that not only is the actor playing Bond younger than me but now, so is the director!!!  This is a sad, sad day ..... ajb007/frown

I just watched a clip from 'Stranger Than Fiction' and loved it. The characters have so much depth and it will be interesting to see how the characters in Bond 22 refelct this if they do at all.

What counts is what the heroine provokes, or rather what she represents. She is the one, or rather the love or fear she inspires in the hero , or else the concern he feels for her, who makes him act the way he does.

Author of 'Pussy Galore - A Representation of Women in James Bond Films'.
Active tweeter and tumbler - https://twitter.com/surrie_fullard

diVicenzo wrote:
Dan Same wrote:
Monique wrote:

Wow..he's an interesting choice. He did a great job with Finding Neverland and Monster's Ball, but has he ever done action?

Exactly. I don't know if this is really a good idea. He's a talented director but his best films are small intimate dramas/comedies.

Daniel Craig had never done action either but look how good he was! ajb007/tongue ajb007/wink

He did a bit of action in Tomb Raider, a film that is high on my guilty pleasures list despite the fact that everyone hated it.

arthur pringle wrote:
diVicenzo wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

He did a bit of action in Tomb Raider, a film that is high on my guilty pleasures list despite the fact that everyone hated it.

This had previously been my only exposure to DC and when I first saw him meet Angelina Jolie something about him intrigued me. Since his character wasn't the point of the film he tended to fly under the radar, but for what little screen time he had, I was under the impression that he would be an acceptable Bond.

Lady Rose wrote:

Just been looking up Forsters work. Nothing of any note really and nothing I find appealing.

I will just have to wait and see what he turns out.

On a different note, I noticed he is younger than me. That means that not only is the actor playing Bond younger than me but now, so is the director!!!  This is a sad, sad day ..... ajb007/frown

I'm in the same age-denial boat, so not fair! ajb007/amazed

But, I really recommend "Stranger Than Fiction," I had zero expectations for it walking in (Ferrell has a knack for getting on my nerves...) and was very pleasantly surprised at not only Ferrell's understated performance ( ajb007/amazed ) but just everything: great script, very creatively shot, excellent performances from all in the cast.  One of my favorite films of this past year, not for any one thing but for the whole package.  Which has really sold me on Forster.  I think he'll bring in at least a fine Bond film, with the potential to create the best film in the series (I'm high on Haggis and Craig also, duh ralph ajb007/wink ).

I had pretty high expectations with CR, Campbell was a concern for me but he turned in a great Bond film IMO.  Forster's a much better director, so IMHO the sky's the limit with Bond 22.  Of course, it may all crash and burn to little toasty bits, but not like that's anything new for a Bond fan. ajb007/tongue  Just excited that EON has finally--FINALLY--hired a director of Forster's ilk, they've never had somebody with the imagination Forster's got in the director's chair.  Very thrilling Bond times! ajb007/smile:):)

I Enjoyed Stranger Than Fiction, However I was watching it with the rest of my family, and my mum's boyfriend is a Mental Health Nurse. So He had a course of treatment for Harold Crick within the first 5 minutes. aswell he picked up that the psyciatrist got it wrong. Its only Scizophrenia if you have it for more than a month. before that its a psycotic episode. Now there is a piece of useless infomation for you.

In regards to Forster & Action scenes, I think he'll do Ok. Bond has one of the best stunt teams in the buisness. and as long as he talks to his second unit director, to make sure the action is in the same sytle as the rest of the film. then we should be ok.

I think Forster will keep the dramatic edge that CR had going. A lot of people who weren't Bond fans before loved CR because it was accessible to a wide audience and also had a universal dramatic appeal. Great choice for the next director, should be interesting, I know I can't wait for 08!

"We have all the time in the world..."

Lady Rose wrote:

That means that not only is the actor playing Bond younger than me but now, so is the director!!!  This is a sad, sad day ..... ajb007/frown

Don't worry! You're not alone in that boat!

I watched Stranger Than Fiction the other night. I quite liked it. In the same vein as Eternal Sunshine and I ajb007/heart Huckabees, but I liked this one best. Forster certainly brings out good performances from his cast.

That said, I didn't like it that much. At only 1hr 40mins, it seemed a lot longer than it was. The direction was pretty unobtrusive, which I quite liked. I don't like Bond directors getting in between us and Bond if you know what I mean. (Campbell and Tamorhi were prime offenders in that regard.) Ultimately the film never really picked up speed for me. One scene after another. And not a bundle of laughs.

I sense Forster will go either the way of Spottiswoode or Apted. (TND or TWINE).

You can guess the way a director is going to turn out usually. I saw No Escape before Campbell did GE and could see
a) He wasn't that different from Glen, just some flashy camera angles.
b) He hadn't assimilated the lessons of Die Hard etc. Action scenes weren't from the hero's pov, but with the camera outside the action, like from 20 feet away.
c) A slightly cold, uninvolving but efficient style.

Spottiswoode was more solid, more grounded, a bit opaque judging from Air American and And The Band Played On. Not very flash or fun.

Tamorhi, from watching Along Came A Spider?
a) No directorial flair, just one scene after another, not involving, no mean feat considering the serial killer type thriller is a formula that's hard to mess up.
b) Ludicrous CGI stunt
c) Utterly implausible plot twist
d) One very good, breathtaking action scene.
Which is about how DAD panned out.

So I'm not crazy about Bond 22 though I can see that Forster is competent enough and certainly the most A-list director they've probably ever had in terms of recent hits.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Not seeing the Spottiswoode/Apted connections with Forster myself.  Agree that he gets great performances from his cast, stays pretty unobtrusive.  Also see a lot of fimlic imagination (for lack of a better term) in Forster, how he sets up and shoots scenes, which I've never gotten from any of the Brosnan Bond directors (although Campbell surprised me some with CR).  High expectations for me.

Well...I've now seen Stranger Than Fiction...and I thought it was excellent.

I'm going to have a look at Monster's Ball next, I think...but Forster seems quite able.  I've a good feeling about him.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Loeffelholz wrote:

I'm going to have a look at Monster's Ball next, I think...

Glad you made a family movie night out of Stranger Than Fiction, however may I suggest that LoeffJr and LoeffIII sit this next one out? ajb007/wink

I'm sure you know why. ajb007/biggrin

"My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore

Loeffelholz wrote:

Well...I've now seen Stranger Than Fiction...and I thought it was excellent.

I'm going to have a look at Monster's Ball next, I think...but Forster seems quite able.  I've a good feeling about him.

I hope you enjoy Monster's Ball. Personally I greatly preferred Monster's Ball to Stranger Than Fiction, so, hopefully, you will have a good time. ajb007/cheers The performances are superb (especially from Miss Berry who IMO fully deserved her Oscar) however the subject matter is quite disturbing. I don't think you should watch it with your kids. ajb007/wink

Last edited by Dan Same (6th Jul 2007 16:20)

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Dan Same wrote:

I don't think you should watch it with your kids. ajb007/wink

Yes, don't worry, fellows.  This one will be after the boys' bedtime   ajb007/shifty

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Watched Stranger Than Fiction again tonight, another thought about Forster: he has a great touch for finding humor in the drama, drama in the humor.  Since Connery uttered the iconic "Shocking" line that's been a hallmark of the best Bonds IMO, that layering and juxtaposition of perspectives at key moments (when it's been handled poorly we've gotten daft Bonds).  Very keen on seeing Forster's take on the new/old school Bond, his visual flair was also quite nice and should translate to Bond genre just fine IMO.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him one-up Campbell's work in CR on multiple fronts.

Geek on. ajb007/takecover

I dunno; I thought 'Stranger Than Fiction' wanted to be 'Eternal Sunshine..' but wasn't clever/quirky enough to match it. It was fine but pretty unmemorable.
That's no real comment on Forster's Bond qualifications, but I just didn't think 'Stranger' was a very strong film.

Really?  I thought Sunshine was overhyped, a good but not great film.  Never thought of Stranger as trying to be Sunshine, both are good little films each in their own way IMO.

Sunshine is full of ideas and really evokes a sweet nature in a very stylish way. Stranger is just a bit dull next to it for me; and it's clearly trying to do the same quirkly, surreal but heart-warming thing, but just doesn't have the same heart or level of originality.

Some interesting stuff from Mr. Forster here, gleaned from an interview with The New York Times, as linked via CBn:

http://commanderbond.net/article/4713

Marc Forster wrote:

I'm not sure I could have found a way into Bond before Daniel Craig reinvented him.

Surely, just the sort of quote for which our own Napoleon Plural lives   ajb007/lol

Obvious entendres aside...a very informative piece---certain to further disenfranchise devotees of the double-taking pigeon and 'Tarzan yell'  ajb007/crap  ajb007/cheers

Last edited by Loeffelholz (9th Dec 2007 06:53)

You'll surely be jealous Loeffs, should Forster be the latest target of our hate and vitriol instead of yourself. Or should I say that life-empowering nectar, that heavenly mana? ajb007/lol

I must say I'm surprised. The first Bond film Forster saw was a Roger Moore picture and you didn't once suggest that that may be the cause of his revelation. Going soft on me now eh? ajb007/lol

Last edited by Tee Hee (9th Dec 2007 17:02)

"My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore