Illustrated Fleming Novels

armourerarmourer United KingdomPosts: 41MI6 Agent
Does anyone know if there have ever been illustrated editions of Fleming's Bond novels? I'm thinking along the lines of the Strand or Colliers magazines that first published the Sherlock Holmes stories. Thanks.

Comments

• jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    The closest you'll get to illustrated adaptations are Titan's collections of the comic strips based on the novels. These were printed in the Daily Express in the 50s and 60s, and some of them dovetail very closely with the novels. (Some of them - e.g. TSWLM - do not).
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • armourerarmourer United KingdomPosts: 41MI6 Agent
    Thanks Jetset, I've got the Titans, but what I have a vague recollection of from when I was a kid, was something like a Readers Digest/Time/etc type part-illustrated edition of TMWTGG. Distinctly remember leafing through it in a bookstore in Birmingham - over 25 years ago tho. Am I imagining this edition or has anyone ever seen one since?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Just recently, I've been thinking about all the different published illustrations of James Bond novel/short story scenes such as Playboy artwork for the stories they serialized stories, and of course the motherlode would be the various paperback art from the past 6 decades. It would be cool to see an unauthorized collection of these pieces, in storyline sequence.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    armourer wrote:
    Thanks Jetset, I've got the Titans, but what I have a vague recollection of from when I was a kid, was something like a Readers Digest/Time/etc type part-illustrated edition of TMWTGG. Distinctly remember leafing through it in a bookstore in Birmingham - over 25 years ago tho. Am I imagining this edition or has anyone ever seen one since?

Reader's Digest did produce a book containing a condensed version of TMWTGG (which contains four other novels too), but I doubt it was on sale in a book store (unless it was a second hand book store) - it does contain 8 illustrations. Some years later they also produced a book containing Licence Renewed, with only 5 illustrations. I don't recall any others.