Cameras roll on #22 this week!!!

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
This one surprised me a bit---all of a sudden, it seems, a piece of Bond #22 is to be photographed this week:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/bond_22_preprod_diary05.php3?t=&s=

Apparently this horse race is only run twice a year, so Eon will have 14 cameras (!) there to get footage, with film of the principal actors to (of course) be added later...if MI6 is right, this will be background to a climactic chase scene...

Contact Music is reporting that animal rights activists are up in arms...
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    According to the article, Bond 22 appears to be Euro based, much like CR - that's good news! The better Bond films are either Carribean or Euro based!!!

I am really sorry they never did the book "Moonraker" justice - it would be wonderful to see Bond at home in the UK!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I love this news...things are moving forward B-)
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like there could be a cool horse chase in the movie. That would be different and original.

EDIT: 100th Post -{
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Georgiboy wrote:
    Sounds like there could be a cool horse chase in the movie. That would be different and original.

Didn't they have a brief horse chasing scene with Bond and Zorin from AVTAK?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,785MI6 Agent
    Well, this isn't a horse chase. It's a foot chase set in a town where a horse race is going on. But yes, this looks really good. My reservation is: Bond 22 shouldn't be set exclusively in "Old Europe", in places where the upper class went to holidaqy 100 years ago.
    Cooler, more exitic places like Malaysia, Brasil or South Africa (just examples) should also be used.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Excellent news. And it's only a few months before principal shooting. :007)
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Georgiboy wrote:

Didn't they have a brief horse chasing scene with Bond and Zorin from AVTAK?

Yes but that was just a small little course Zorin had and it was and pretty straightforward and there wasn't much suspense in the scene.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Well, this isn't a horse chase. It's a foot chase set in a town where a horse race is going on. But yes, this looks really good. My reservation is: Bond 22 shouldn't be set exclusively in "Old Europe", in places where the upper class went to holidaqy 100 years ago.
    Cooler, more exitic places like Malaysia, Brasil or South Africa (just examples) should also be used.
    7289 wrote:
    According to the article, Bond 22 appears to be Euro based, much like CR - that's good news! The better Bond films are either Carribean or Euro based!!!

I am really sorry they never did the book "Moonraker" justice - it would be wonderful to see Bond at home in the UK!

I agree with both you. I like the more "exotic" locales, but I also love the European aspects of the Bond world. Bond is, after all, European, and it seems fitting that he should find himself there on occasion. Besides, I found the shot of the train snaking through the valley at night in CR incredibly romantic, in part because no one travels by train the States anymore (a great loss, in my view, but understandable given the distances involved).
    But the story really should determine the locations. And in a story about terrorism, Europe would seem like a logical setting for at least some scenes. There's been quite a bit of activity on that front going back many, many years, involving many, many groups.
    I'm just glad the cameras are rolling. Isn't it a bit early?
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:

I think they're getting footage of the race now, because it only runs a couple of times a year. Principal shooting will begin in the winter. I'm glad they seem to have planned ahead. It does look like they have a very clear idea of what Bond 22 is going to be.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

I think they're getting footage of the race now, because it only runs a couple of times a year. Principal shooting will begin in the winter. I'm glad they seem to have planned ahead. It does look like they have a very clear idea of what Bond 22 is going to be.

You're right. I didn't see Loeff's post above. It sounds like a great place for a Bond finale to me. In fact, I think I saw something about the race on the History Channel a while back. Here's a link to a wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena
  • QwertyQwerty New York, USAPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    And today there are some further updates on this news: http://commanderbond.net/article/4455
    ~ Nobody Knows Me Like You Know Me ~
    Thanks very much, Qwerty {[] I'm interested to hear that this isn't necessarily a 'climactic' sequence---and a bit relieved, if truth be told. Not that I've any problem with a climax happening this way, but I'm just expecting something...else. This seems like more of an Act 1 or Act 2 sequence to me...just my own 'gut feeling.'
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited August 2007
    Qwerty wrote:
    And today there are some further updates on this news:
    Sounds great. :D I loved the foot chases in CR, and so another one, if done well, would be terrific.

Nonetheless, I am still waiting to learn what the title will be. Once we hear what the title is, it will help determine what kind of film Bond 22 will be.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Qwerty wrote:
    And today there are some further updates on this news:
    Sounds great. :D I loved the foot chases in CR, and so another one, if done well, would be terrific.

Nonetheless, I am still waiting to learn what the title will be. Once we hear what the title is, it will help determine what kind of film Bond 22 will be.

can't agree more Same, I check Mi6 everyday to see if BOND 22 has a title yet...can't wait. looking forward to what the chase scene might be, and love the idea of a European centered Bond. we'll have to see who Bond goes after and just how much ass he kicks!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I think what they'll do is just get some basic foortage that they throw into the background. In Moonraker they did the same thing with the Carnival in Rio.

I hope it isnt the finale, I really want to see a big, overblown finale ala Goldfinger.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I'm a bit disappointed by the stipulation that there can be no violence involving the animals filmed. Without wanting to sound bloodthirsty, I quite fancied the idea of the villain being pushed off the roof and then trampled to death by the horses - very Lion King :)
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Do horses eat people?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I'm a bit disappointed by the stipulation that there can be no violence involving the animals filmed.

What's silly about this outrage is that filmmakers hardly ever put animals in danger anymore--laying cables to trip horses, starving lions to make them more fierce, etc. It's all done by CGI. Or are people concerned about the rights of virtual horses now?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    blueman wrote:
    Do horses eat people?

No. Horses don't eat people, they eat grass.
    Don't be so horrible morbid!
    Pigs, on the other hand ....:v
    edited August 2007
    More updates here, adding to what Myrrdin has already posted in another thread:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/bond_22_preprod_diary06.php3?t=&s=

It's cool that Craig was there, even if only as a tourist, essentially---he looks to have had a good time...

Nice tidbit (if true!) about...
    ...the Aston Martin showing up here in Italy... :007)
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I'm a bit disappointed by the stipulation that there can be no violence involving the animals filmed.

What's silly about this outrage is that filmmakers hardly ever put animals in danger anymore--laying cables to trip horses, starving lions to make them more fierce, etc. It's all done by CGI. Or are people concerned about the rights of virtual horses now?

No joke, you could have a scene where CGI horses are getting injured. Lord of the Rings did it, and there was no problem. However, it's also a question of budget and how well the CGI looks. For me I think a no CGI Bond is the way to go, horse trampling or not! I though DAD was over the top w/ CGI and CR was back to basics. Wait and see what the scene looks like next Nov.
    edited August 2007
    Yet more stuff on possible locations in Italy...plus a bit of pre-debunked rumour concerning Angelina Jolie...plus the possible inclusion of the Aston Martin... a huge grain of salt has been added for your convenience...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/bond_22_preprod_diary07.php3?t=&s=

;)
    Yet more stuff on possible locations in Italy...plus a bit of pre-debunked rumour concerning Angelina Jolie...plus the possible inclusion of the Aston Martin... a huge grain of salt has been added for your convenience...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/bond_22_preprod_diary07.php3?t=&s=

;)

Not to mention the Mi6 note regarding Michael G. Wilson headed to LA and reading Goldfinger. Credible? Hum, reading Goldfiner, wouldn't that be pretty much picked over for plot stuff? Maybe just some pleasure reading, or he's reading through for character notes, or just to get himself in the mood to talk Bond. I don't know, we are all left to speculate...?:)
    Not to mention the Mi6 note regarding Michael G. Wilson headed to LA and reading Goldfinger. Credible? Hum, reading Goldfiner, wouldn't that be pretty much picked over for plot stuff? Maybe just some pleasure reading, or he's reading through for character notes, or just to get himself in the mood to talk Bond. I don't know, we are all left to speculate...?:)

Could we finally see Oddjob's legendary cat dinner onscreen? :))

@merseytart
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    as a korean resident i always take exception to this and it is an example of fleming for once getting his details wrong...the korean people might be guilty of wolfing down the odd dog or two...the infamous boshintang or dog soup...but never cats not even post the ceasefire when times were grim...the southern chinese on the other hand believe that cat spine soup is good for arthritis and often eat it...bon appetit
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    delon64 wrote:
    as a korean resident i always take exception to this and it is an example of fleming for once getting his details wrong...

Fleming himself said that he got at least one detail wrong in every book despite his checking and rechecking them.

The bit with the cat, one of Fleming's more "infamous" shock sequences, seems relevant here because of the horse race controversy. Anything that seems to puts an animal in jeopardy gets immmediate attention!

Prehaps Oddjob was really from Southern China and Goldfinger misunderstood - after all the only thing Oddjob ever said was "Garch a har"!

However, Fleming is not kind to the Korean's in this book and there is no way around that!
    I never even considered Oddjob's consumption of the cat from an ethnic perspective (sorry if I caused any offence delon); I'd never linked it with his Korean nationality. I had always seen it as an example of Oddjob's brutality and perversity, in line with other Fleming henchmen. His fondness for eating cats was put in the same category as Wint or Kidd (I can't remember which) sucking his thumb, Grant's moon-related sadism, or Le Chiffre's benzedrine inhaler; it was strange, and alien, and pretty repulsive.

@merseytart
    More stuff...SPOILER ALERT:

http://commanderbond.net/article/4470

Apparently, more location scouting has been rumoured to have taken place in "the Basilicata region of southern Italy."

Interesting speculation on the part of the CBn member that the town of Craco could pass for Northern Africa---Algeria, specifically ;)
    This is very exiting! The locations mentioned before look great, but bond needs to get out of Europe for some scenes too. This town standing in for Algeria sounds logical, since visiting Algeria is almost suicidal for westerners nowadays.
    I think this location will stand in for Algeria.
    There is a very bloody civil war in Algeria and it's allmost suicidal for westerneres to enter the country.