1

Topic: Tarantino Gripes Again

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=5328

Mi6 reports that Tarantino is griping again about not being involved in CR. If this is a true report I think Tarantino should give it up. I like his movies, but a) I don't think he would have done CR justice and b) CR was not his baby nor his original idea. Ian Fleming wrote it, the producers have talked about making it for years, and it was their choice on who to pick as director. Quentin, get over it.

On the other hand, if the report is false...stop trying to create tension between Tarantino and MGM/Sony Bond producers.

What do you all think?

"We have all the time in the world..."

2

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Tarantino is so strange.  Maybe that is a good thing in some ways, in the right context and around the appropriate issues.  Some of the greatest artists have been eccentrics.  And I can understand feeling bothered, I suppose, about being unrecognized for what he considered a novel suggestion.  But why publicize it like this?  It just makes the guy look childish.

It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.

3

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

QT is a talented film maker, but too far out on the edge to do justice to Ian Fleming.

Of course there may be another side to his work, but I'll wager the only thing about "Casino Royale" that was of interest to QT was the torture scene.

4

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Fascinating that he's attempting to assert some sort of creative ownership over the notion of Casino Royale being made  ajb007/insane  And I don't recall Eon ever saying the novel was 'unfilmable'---merely that it was too brief and narrowly-focused to fit into what the Bond films have become, via a direct adaptation.

I enjoy Tarantino's stuff...but the Bond ship sailed without him---and is doing just fine, thanks very much.  It's just as well, as Tarantino would never have danced to Eon's tune.

Last edited by Loeffelholz (2nd Sep 2007 07:25)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

5

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

I think that Tarantino is a great director (although not as good as he probably thinks that he is) but he is such an egomaniac. ajb007/insane It's almost as if cinema didn't exist before him. Oh, and if he thinks that he should be recognised for suggesting that CR be made into a film, then why the heck can't I be recognised for suggesting that Ocean's 11 have a sequel? ajb007/mad

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

6

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Dan Same wrote:

Oh, and if he thinks that he should be recognised for suggesting that CR be made into a film, then why the heck can't I be recognised for suggesting that Ocean's 11 have a sequel? ajb007/mad

I share your pain Dan.  I'm still awaiting acknowledgement from Stanley Kubrick's estate for Nicole Kidman's nude scenes in Eyes Wide Shut.  I had thought showing Kidman butt naked was a great idea long before Kubrick did.  Why can't they just acknowledge my input into that movie.  They stole my idea and refuse to admit it. ajb007/mad ajb007/biggrin

7

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

John Drake wrote:

I share your pain Dan.  I'm still awaiting acknowledgement from Stanley Kubrick's estate for Nicole Kidman's nude scenes in Eyes Wide Shut.  I had thought showing Kidman butt naked was a great idea long before Kubrick did.  Why can't they just acknowledge my input into that movie.  They stole my idea and refuse to admit it. ajb007/mad ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/lol

That was yours? What a great concept

8

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

I'm sorry, but there is no way Tarantino could have done justice to CR. He's not the right type of director and it wouldn't have been the right type of movie. Kill Bill was a little 'out there' for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite the fan of anime, but inserting it into a live-action American film? It just didn't seem right. Bond being rendered as an anime character in some scenes, then switching over to his live-action counterpart in others would have just been wrong...

I'm not a purist on all things, as some boundaries are good to be broken now and then. I am however, a purist when it comes to localization, culture-conversions, etc. For example, I don't think you should take a Daewoo Kalos (a Korean car), put a Chevy badge on it and call it "An American Revolution." I don't think you should take a foreign film and dub it into another language. Likewise, I don't think you should take Bond and render him in some unfamiliar fashion with ninja stars or something...

But that's just my opinion. ajb007/smile

9

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Strange idea from Brosnan wanted to impose Tarantino for a Bond film...

10

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Malko Linge wrote:

Strange idea from Brosnan wanted to impose Tarantino for a Bond film...

I'm with you there, but he did have the right idea on which film to do. Not to knock Craig, but it was a pity Brosnan didn't get the chance to do some real Fleming material.

11

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

The Sly Fox wrote:

I'm sorry, but there is no way Tarantino could have done justice to CR. He's not the right type of director and it wouldn't have been the right type of movie. Kill Bill was a little 'out there' for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite the fan of anime, but inserting it into a live-action American film? It just didn't seem right. Bond being rendered as an anime character in some scenes, then switching over to his live-action counterpart in others would have just been wrong...

I'm not a purist on all things, as some boundaries are good to be broken now and then. I am however, a purist when it comes to localization, culture-conversions, etc. For example, I don't think you should take a Daewoo Kalos (a Korean car), put a Chevy badge on it and call it "An American Revolution." I don't think you should take a foreign film and dub it into another language. Likewise, I don't think you should take Bond and render him in some unfamiliar fashion with ninja stars or something...

But that's just my opinion. ajb007/smile

Daewoo Kalos....Chevrolet badge, hahahahahahahaha!:)) Love it, so appropriate.

"We have all the time in the world..."

12

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Ive never been that big a fan of QT.  I think he's talented but I also think if he had done CR it would have looked very different to what it does today.  When a director is hired for Bond, they are hired to give the producers what they want.  And that worked real fine with Martin Campbell, but I doubt QT would be happy being a hired hand.

13

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Barbel wrote:

... he did have the right idea on which film to do. Not to knock Craig, but it was a pity Brosnan didn't get the chance to do some real Fleming material.

I'm not sure Pierce would have had a good shape for a 007 more “physical”...

14

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Now Quentin, the night of the Bond premiere, you may fell a slight sting. That's pride f***ng with ya.  F*** pride!  Pride only hurts, it never helps.  Fight through that s***.  'Cause a year from now, when you're kickin' it in the Caribbean you're gonna say, "Highhopes was right."

15

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

highhopes wrote:

Now Quentin, the night of the Bond premiere, you may fell a slight sting. That's pride f***ng with ya.  F*** pride!  Pride only hurts, it never helps.  Fight through that s***.  'Cause a year from now, when you're kickin' it in the Caribbean you're gonna say, "Highhopes was right."

ajb007/lol  Nice one HH.  What would have worried me if Tarantino had directed CR is the sequence when LeChiffre tortures a naked Bond.  Remember in Pulp Fiction when Ving Rhames and Bruce Willis are tied up in a cellar.  The words “Bring out the gimp” are mentioned and then something very untoward happens.  I’d really rather not see that in a Bond film.  ajb007/insane ajb007/lol But if they want to have Tarantino direct a low-budget version of Fleming’s The Spy Who Loved Me novel, I’d pay good money to see it.

16

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

John Drake wrote:
highhopes wrote:

Now Quentin, the night of the Bond premiere, you may fell a slight sting. That's pride f***ng with ya.  F*** pride!  Pride only hurts, it never helps.  Fight through that s***.  'Cause a year from now, when you're kickin' it in the Caribbean you're gonna say, "Highhopes was right."

ajb007/lol  Nice one HH.  What would have worried me if Tarantino had directed CR is the sequence when LeChiffre tortures a naked Bond.  Remember in Pulp Fiction when Ving Rhames and Bruce Willis are tied up in a cellar.  The words “Bring out the gimp” are mentioned and then something very untoward happens.  I’d really rather not see that in a Bond film.  ajb007/insane ajb007/lol But if they want to have Tarantino direct a low-budget version of Fleming’s The Spy Who Loved Me novel, I’d pay good money to see it.

How interesting that would prove. I am such a fan of that novel, I really quite enjoyed it and I don't know how I feel about QT touching it. Of course, I don't know if I would trust QT with any Bond material. Again, like his movies, but don't like him matched with Bond.

"We have all the time in the world..."

17

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

As much as he has done some brilliant films (Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) I just don't think he could pull off a bond film without it been a ultra-violent gangster flick. He should stop moaning and star work on Grindhouse 2.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Bbrown/207qoznfl4.gif

18

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Personally, as much as I have enjoyed some of QT's work, I think he just needs to stop. There is no way in hell that he could make a Bond film work with his formulaic style of character over development and useless conversation that drags out the pace of a movie. Not only that but the way he goes about it just makes the character you're supposed to identify with annoying and you wish they would die. For all the praise Deathproof got (for the car chase, the only action in the whole frickin' movie!) you might as well sleep through it and have someone wake you towards the end when the interesting stuff starts to happen because the first hour of the movie is completely useless to get where he got to at the end. Of course this is just my opinion. So I think he should quit his bitching and moaning and leave the Bond series to the people that know how to make a good Bond film. Oy...

*~Orbis Non Sufficit~*

19

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

I think he just mentions it from time to time, it's no worse than us bitching and griping over minutae.

That said, CR was last year's big smash and Grindhouse is a bit of a flop, so there you go.

I can see why Brosnan lobbied for Tarantino - how far they both got with this, and whether that sealed his exit, going behind the producers' backs, I don't know. Yet Brosnan has worked with the greats - Attenborough, Boorman, er Streisand and Ratner and yet they're not really classics in my view.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

20

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

I can imagine a Tarantino Bond film...it would be full of things he's cleverly imagined like casinos, Aston Martins and gold-painted woman, all prettied up with lots of blood and profanity. What a genius!

21

Re: Tarantino Gripes Again

Er, save the gold-painted lady, not that different to last year's offering surely...?  ajb007/confused  Or was that your point?  ajb007/biggrin

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017