Topic: What american actor would you like to play James Bond if possible ?

I propose George Clooney.

Re: What american actor would you like to play James Bond if possible ?

jamesfan...

NONE.

Keep him British, or at least British-esque (e.g. the Ozzie, Lazenby). I couldn't stand an American actor playing Bond, I would never know what to do with the accent.

But saying that, jamesfan's proposal of Clooney for the role would be one of the only ones that would make any sense at all in my mind (even though in my opinion it wouldn't make any sense), of course I would be interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

Although, what if they cast an American for James Bond and a Brit for Leiter. ajb007/lol Hmmmmm, I think I am on to something. ajb007/biggrin

"We have all the time in the world..."

I vote for no American actor as Bond...ever.  British Isles and extended Commonwealth only...

Last edited by Loeffelholz (21st Sep 2007 05:40)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Agreed. I propose that NO American actor should ever play James Bond. That would just be wrong.

"Watch the birdie, you bastard!"

Favourite Bond films list

youknowmyname wrote:

Although, what if they cast an American for James Bond and a Brit for Leiter. ajb007/lol Hmmmmm, I think I am on to something. ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/lol ajb007/lol Of course, they'd have to change "Felix" to something more suitable- "Clarence", perhaps...? ajb007/wink

Bond should NOT be an american. But if you held a gun to my head .....

James Caviezel
Edward Burns

George Clooney (would have been perfect 10-15 years ago)

Barry Nelson?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Clooney's too old

I just laughed for like two whole minutes...pfft...Clooney, while extremely sexy ajb007/heart, is too old...

I agree with the NO AMERICANS thing...

sorry, Jamesfan, but welcome to AJB anyway!

~Pen ajb007/martini

Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com

Actually, James Caviezel would be a good choice, IMO. He has the looks of the literary Bond, can do action, and can look menacing (he played a bad guy rather well in Deja Vu).

Barbel wrote:
youknowmyname wrote:

ajb007/lol ajb007/lol Of course, they'd have to change "Felix" to something more suitable- "Clarence", perhaps...? ajb007/wink

I like Clarence, I like Clarence a lot. I think we are decided. It's time to write the letter to Eon and Sony.

"We have all the time in the world..."

Trying to pass off an American as Bond is like claiming Ben Affleck can pull of Jack Ryan...

None - but if you held a gun to my head - u might as well pull the trigger

Nothing against americans here but if an american try to ever pull off bond I'm jumping of canary wharf.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Bbrown/207qoznfl4.gif

frostbitten wrote:

Actually, James Caviezel would be a good choice, IMO. He has the looks of the literary Bond, can do action, and can look menacing (he played a bad guy rather well in Deja Vu).

Caviezel's a great actor, but I'd rather Bond remained a Brit, Irish, or Aussie.

Jesus Christ, Jim Caviezel?! ajb007/wink

But, seriously, I'm another no-vote for Americans, even though I am one.  And, Lord no, not Clooney.  I have to admit, he's worn out his welcome with me.  A few years ago I thought he'd be the kind of guy I'd love to have a drink with, but he's so full of himself now, so stuffed with his self-righteous poltics, that I'd like to pop that always-bobbing head of his!

Vox clamantis in deserto

Hardyboy wrote:

And, Lord no, not Clooney.  I have to admit, he's worn out his welcome with me.  A few years ago I thought he'd be the kind of guy I'd love to have a drink with, but he's so full of himself now, so stuffed with his self-righteous poltics, that I'd like to pop that always-bobbing head of his!

... and today Clooney crashes his bike, breaking a rib and suffering some scratches. Hhmm- rumour has it that he swerved to avoid some books (Far From The Madding Crowd and From Russia, With Love among them) "carelessly" left in his way... ajb007/amazed

Barbel wrote:

... and today Clooney crashes his bike, breaking a rib and suffering some scratches. Hhmm- rumour has it that he swerved to avoid some books (Far From The Madding Crowd and From Russia, With Love among them) "carelessly" left in his way... ajb007/amazed

Don't pin that one on me, Officer.  I value those books too much to throw them in the way of a vehicle, no matter who's driving! ajb007/tongue

Vox clamantis in deserto

I don't understand why it is so ridiculous for an American actor to play Bond. If there were an American actor out there who could pull off an exceptional british accent, looked and knew the part, than I wouldn't have any problem at all accepting an American as Bond.

To answer the question, I think if Edward Burns could pull off a British accent, he would be a pretty good Bond.

Andy A 007 wrote:

To answer the question, I think if Edward Burns could pull off a British accent, he would be a pretty good Bond.

If he could do the accent Burns would certainly look and sound the part.  But he has no charisma at all IMHO.  Edward Burns is the guy a studio hires when even Ben Affleck says no.

John Drake wrote:

If he could do the accent Burns would certainly look and sound the part.  But he has no charisma at all IMHO.  Edward Burns is the guy a studio hires when even Ben Affleck says no.

ajb007/lol So true. I think that Burns is fine in more romantic films, but not in a spy thriller like a Bond film.

There isn't any American actor whom I would want to play Bond, as I think that Bond should only be played by somebody from the Commonwealth. That's why I think that the producers should give Russell Crowe some consideration. I think he has the potential to be a very good Bond. ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Honey Rider (24th Sep 2007 15:31)

Andy A 007 wrote:

I don't understand why it is so ridiculous for an American actor to play Bond. If there were an American actor out there who could pull off an exceptional british accent, looked and knew the part, than I wouldn't have any problem at all accepting an American as Bond.

Although I am all for authenticity within a role, Andy is right. There seems to be a double standard looming here when it comes to characters of this ilk.

Many roles that call for American or American-created characters are played by Brits. Does it bother me? Not really...if they can pull it off well. But many seem to think that James Bond is off limits to this rule.

All Christian Bale, Carey Elwes, Russell Crowe  and others like them play AMERICAN roles that Americans themselves could pull off just as well if not better than.
I used to think that a Yank had no business even testing for the role of 007 but not so much anymore. Good acting is good acting.
That being said, it helps with the illusion for me that whomever plays him is born and bred from the same cloth or at least within the vicinity. But the right American could play him whether one believes that or not.

Last edited by RogueAgent (24th Sep 2007 15:58)

Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

RogueAgent wrote:

All Christian Bale, Carey Elwes, Russell Crowe  and others like them play AMERICAN roles that Americans themselves could pull off just as well if not better than.
I used to think that a Yank had no business even testing for the role of 007 but not so much anymore. Good acting is good acting.

But the right American could play him whether one believes that or not.

Fair point Rogue.  I still wonder what John Gavin would have made of 007 had he been allowed to do DAF instead of Connery.  Gavin looked perfect for Bond.

Hardyboy wrote:

What's wrong with having an actor who has played Jesus play Bond? Wouldn't that attract more Christians to the 007 film? ajb007/wink

All kiddings aside, though, I do think that if Caviezel can do a good British accent, he would have made a good Bond. He is a very versatile actor who has done well in a wide variety of roles.

frostbitten wrote:
Hardyboy wrote:

What's wrong with having an actor who has played Jesus play Bond? Wouldn't that attract more Christians to the 007 film? ajb007/wink

I'm reminded of a commentary track on the Monty Python's Life of Brian DVD, where John Cleese talks about how they'd initially wanted George Lazenby, in a cameo role---as Jesus  ajb007/lol

Last edited by Loeffelholz (24th Sep 2007 18:59)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM