Best scene from the Brosnan era?

walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
I think the best scene from the Brosnan era is when he shoots Elektra, im sure theres a better scene but i cant think of it right now, what do you think is the best scene out of his four films?

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Bond sitting in his hotel room in TND, gun, vodka, and shot glass next to him on the side table. -{
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    yea that would be my other guess, is the hotel scene from TNDs, i think its classic Bond
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    I'm tempted to say the end titles of DAD..

but instead I'll go for the Dr Kaufman scene in TND.
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    actonsteve wrote:
    I'm tempted to say the end titles of DAD.

:))

Funniest quote I've come across in a while:

"Now, about a replacement for Brosnan...oh, well yes, if you can get Craig of course..."
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    double post, deleted
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    In DAD, when he walks into the hotel in Hong Kong. He's dirty, he's scruffy and he walks in the high class hotel like he owns the place. Very cool seen.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    You know, I'd forgotten that scene when I was thinking of classic Brosnan-Bond moments (I was going to go for his tie-straightening moments in the Tank or Q-boat) but the more I think about it the better it is. It really goes to show just how much Brosnan owned the role: you don't need the Savile Row suits, dinner jackets, Martinis, Aston Martins or PPK props - his bearing and sheer Bond-ness shines through despite the pajamas, bare feet and beard. He plainly has no money on him, yet has the balls to walk up to the desk and ask for his usual suite. I think Connery could have pulled it off, but Moore/Lazenby/Dalton?

It's pure film-Bond rather than lit-Bond, but I'd say it was not only the best Brosnan moment, but one of the truly classic moments of the entire series.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    I would say the PTS from TWINE (up to the moment Bond walks away.) This is in fact one of my all-time favourite PTS's and IMO the last PTS of any quality. Bond makes a few witty jokes, kills a few guys, escapes and walks away brushing off his suit. This PTS features violence, humour, great acting, a superb escape and some Bondian style. :D Although the PTS didn't end when it should have, I nonetheless would argue that it was Brosnan's best scene.

Honourable mentions: the PTS as well as the first meeting with Xenia, the beating up of the guy on the ship and the fight with Trevelyan in GE; the scene with Dr Kaufman and the car chase in TND and the shooting of Elektra and the final scene in TWINE. I don't think that any scene from DAD deserves to make the list, however the fencing scene was IMO the best scene from that film (although it would have been even better if Bond had actually killed Graves in that scene.)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    In DAD, when he walks into the hotel in Hong Kong. He's dirty, he's scruffy and he walks in the high class hotel like he owns the place. Very cool seen.

As Sanches says in LTK: "You took the words right out of my pocket."

Superb analysis, Tanner. It is indeed one the great moments in the series and, in its own way a perfect summation of the character of Bond.

The whole essence of Bond is that he is a character that cannot not be defined by his outward appearences, despite all contrary perceptions. It does not matter what he is wearing, or in what condition he is in...Bond is Bond. Period.

And that confident swagger into the Hong Kong hotel, bordering on arrogance,is what Bond is all about.

One point,Tanner. I think every 007 would have carried that scene...ESPECIALLY Roger.

In a way, its a shame it was not written for Roger. For you see, although Roger might be considered the lightest of the Bonds...and the panther-like walk was not quite there...Roger's whole attitude as Bond was one of invulnerability.

If you dirtied up golden-boy Roger, the scene would have even more resonance in the Bond universe. Just an opinion.

As it is, it is one of the greatest scenes in the series and Pierce's signature moment.

"From nothing to everything, in no time at all."
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Another vote for the TND hotel scene. Very Flemingesque.

Another one of my favorites is from the otherwise horrible Die Another Day.

The scene where's he's driving down the highway in Cuba in an old Ford Fairlane with a Hawaiian shirt and a .357 magnum revolver tucked in his waistband, puffing on a Cuban cigar.

THAT was also very Fleming, though I think it was by accident, personally.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,218Chief of Staff
    The scene where's he's driving down the highway in Cuba in an old Ford Fairlane with a Hawaiian shirt and a .357 magnum revolver tucked in his waistband, puffing on a Cuban cigar.

THAT was also very Fleming, though I think it was by accident, personally.

Can I add the scene just before this, when Bond goes to the cigar factory and meets the sleeper? Very Flemingesque (cf carpets and Kerim in FRWL). Coming just after the hotel scene mentioned above and before the Cuba/car/cigar scene, it gives the impression that DAD will be a superb James Bond film. Unfortunately, later events let it down...

(PS Hadn't noticed it was a Fairlane; thanks!)
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Yeah, Id think Id say Bond waiting for one of Carver's men to appear in the hotel room. It just felt like a great scene. Besides that, maybe the scene with the sleeper (Raoul) or another from DAD, when Graves drops in to be knighted, and after the Land Rover drives away, you see Bond watching the entire thing. That to me felt very Bondish.
  • mahall007mahall007 Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    All of the above are excellent, especially the Hong Kong hotel scene, but the one that really stands out from Pierce's era for me is the GE PTS. The motorcycle escape and skydive after the plane really jumpstarts his tenure as Bond.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I like this scene in DAD, as the call girl attempts to acquire a little evidence for blackmail, Brosnan's utter no-nonsense demeanor, smashing the glass, revealing the electronic voyeur. etc.

I really took to the brawl in TND's sound proof room as well.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    My picks are the huge antenna rising out of the lake in Cuba in GE, and the boat chase on the Thames in TWINE.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    The scene in the hotel reception in DAD is priceless but my favourite must go to the Dr. Kaufman scene in TND. From the moment Bond walkes into the hotel room and discovers Paris's body until he kills Kaufman it has everything.

The grief when he discovers Paris.
    The cold professionalism when he kills Kaufman with the brilliant line 'me to'.
    Kaufman himself who is one of the best, if short lived, villians ever to grace a bond movie.
    Even the use of the gadget phone was intregal rather than gratutious.
  • AngryPolarBearAngryPolarBear Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    Goldeneye - PTS, when Bond and Alec is surrounded. (Everytime I think of GE, that's the first scene that comes to mind)

TND - The scene between Bond and Dr. Kaufman (In a film with poor villains, Kaufman was the exception. Thrilling and well acted)

TWINE - When Bond kills Elektra (She betrayed him and Bond answered with no hesitation. Lovely!)

DAD - Gustav Graves lands on Buckingham Palace (Not great, but at least one decent scene from that movie)
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    There are many great, memorable scenes from the Brosnan era, most of which have been previously mentioned: the hotel room scene in TND, the final fight in GE, the beach scene in GE, the boat chase in TWINE...

However, for me (perhaps I have weird tastes :) ), the scene that stuck in my mind the most is the skiing scene between Bond and Elektra, starting from the moment Elektra jumped out of the helicopter to just before the parahawk attack. The music, the location and the cinematography just captured Bond film-making at its epic best.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    It does not actually feature Brosnan, however my favourite scene in his era is in The World Is Not Enough, the 'Remember. . . pleasure' scene. Dark and adult, and very revealing of the two characters involved. Sophie Marceau is sublime, in every way. :)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Can I add the scene just before this, when Bond goes to the cigar factory and meets the sleeper? Very Flemingesque (cf carpets and Kerim in FRWL). Coming just after the hotel scene mentioned above and before the Cuba/car/cigar scene, it gives the impression that DAD will be a superb James Bond film. Unfortunately, later events let it down...

Absolutely ... DAD lost me after Halle Berry's CGI backdive off the cliffs but I digress...

Brosnan had some great moments most of which have been mentioned but I actually really liked the scene when he meets M for the first time in GE and she gives the misogynist dinosaur speech.
    I just liked Brosnans reaction.
  • GeorgiboyGeorgiboy Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    I personally love the PTS to Goldeneye. When I saw that whole part for the first time I thought Pierce Brosnan was going to be the best bond ever. But was I way off. :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited October 2007
    For me, I have to lump together the GE PTS and the DB5 "chase" w/Xenia's Ferrari after the titles since they in a sense are continously presented.

Before GE, a Bond concept that I've been mentally developing since TLD was his role as a saboteur, assassin, infiltrator, etc., geared in a bonafide "black-ops" battle dress complete with a loaded assault vest(think of the MI6 version of the black-clad SAS Counter Revolutionary Wing during the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege). Before that, Dalton in the TLD PTS was the closest, but still not quite, just like Connery's gray modern Ninja garb in YOLT. For the most part, Bond often resorted to casual wear (black pullovers, etc. in GF, LALD and so on). Then comes Brosnan in his 1st PTS dressed the way he was, which unexpectedly and totally cashed in my wish fulfillment! ...and this hasn't been equalled since.

As for the DB5 vs. Ferrari chase, before that I was totally bummed out with the 6-year hiatus and the loss of Dalton in the role because of the nice Fleming emphasis he gave; then in this new movie I see Bond's most iconic vehicle drifting around bends and being handled with authentic "hi-performance" driving precision (vs. the undercranked camera effects in GF's factory chase scene), racing against my favorite car make at the time, Ferrari, in the context of Bond flirting with an attractive girl at speed, to which there's no other experience more exhilirating according to Fleming! Watching this unexpectedly, immediately after a gorgeous title sequence (and a very nice one, post-Binder), following a satisfying PTS had my heart pumping even more while grinning ear to ear!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    Goldeneye is my favorite Brosnan 007 movie and had some of my favorite Brosnan moments as well. The look on Brosnan's face after 006 is shot during the PTS is very good, equal parts grief and rage. I also like the fight on the yacht, where Bond disposes of the would be assasins with a towel and then casually wipes off. His delivery of the "Talented girl" line to Valentin and the "He'll betray you, just like everyone else" and "You first, you second" lines during the confrontation on the train are also well done.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I love Bond's escape from Carver's printing HQ in Hamburg in TND. The look that Brosnan gives Michelle Yeoh when she starts climbing up the wall always makes me laugh. It isn't my favourite Brosnan Bond film but the first half might be Pierce's finest hour as 007.
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    It does not actually feature Brosnan, however my favourite scene in his era is in The World Is Not Enough, the 'Remember. . . pleasure' scene. Dark and adult, and very revealing of the two characters involved. Sophie Marceau is sublime, in every way. :)

Excellent choice! Sophie was so hot in that scene, I'm surprised the ice in that bucket didn't get vaporised immediately. And poor Renard, to be with a woman like that and not be able to feel anything must have been pure torture :)
  • agent colinagent colin Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    WHEAN HE DRIVES THE TANK THOURGH ST PETERSBURGS

AS THERE IS A HUGE SCHEANE OF COUESW
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Also when Elektra has Bond strapped to that torture chair, in a weird way, i wish i was 007 there haha
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    One scene I forgot to mention that I really love is the Cuba beach scene in GE. I know it shot like a flake commercial but the sun behind the beach house, Natalia walking towards Bond with the sea breeze blowing her clothes and Bond sitting there with the waves breaking behind him is just sublime. It makes you want to be on that beach, particuliarly with Natalia. The dialogue is also very good.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Also when Elektra has Bond strapped to that torture chair, in a weird way, i wish i was 007 there haha

Of course, I bet Bond also wished that someone else was there too
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    The Travelyan/Bond scene in the dish control tower.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill