A Bioware RPG with the Bond license

JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
edited March 2009 in James Bond Gaming
I think Bioware should acquire the James Bond license and make another Bond RPG. Furthermore I think the story should take elements from all 12 novels and all 22 movies. But I doubt my dream Bond game will ever come to fruition.
"I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."

Comments

• TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    Bioware is now owned by Electronic Arts, who gave up their rights to the Bond license a couple of years ago in favor of developing original properties.

I also think Bond would make a good RPG; unfortunately that's always been something of a niche genre an developers have historically preferred trying to pidgeonhole Bond as an action/shooter, probably in the hopes of drawing as many gamers as possible.

As such, I very much doubt we'll ever see a Bond RPG by any developer, much less Bioware.
  • JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    Bioware is now owned by Electronic Arts, who gave up their rights to the Bond license a couple of years ago in favor of developing original properties.

I also think Bond would make a good RPG; unfortunately that's always been something of a niche genre an developers have historically preferred trying to pidgeonhole Bond as an action/shooter, probably in the hopes of drawing as many gamers as possible.

As such, I very much doubt we'll ever see a Bond RPG by any developer, much less Bioware.

You don't think Bioware/EA could colaberate with Activision on a Bond RPG?
    "I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    You don't think Bioware/EA could colaberate with Activision on a Bond RPG?

Anything is possible, but personally I doubt it. From Russia With Love and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent were both disappointing in terms of sales and critical response. EA also apparently had to cancel another Bond game already in development because they were using Pierce Brosnan's likeness and EON didn't approve. After all that, EA gave up the license to Bond even though they still had another year of exclusive rights and made it very clear that they were moving away from licensed games in favor of more original properties like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

EA lost quite a bit of money with their last couple of Bond games and while that was partially their own fault for releasing spotty products, they also didn't like EON's apparent attempts to direct the creative direction of future games.

In light of the fact that Activision's QoS game had relatively disappointing sales - not a smart move on their part to release it the same week as Gears of War 2 and, once again it was a spotty game that could have used a few more months of tuning - EA probably thinks they made the right move and I doubt they'll be doing anything with Bond for a long time.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Obsidian Entertainment is working on a spy RPG, IIRC.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    DAWUSS wrote:
    Obsidian Entertainment is working on a spy RPG, IIRC.
    As a frequent poster there you should know. :))

I am looking forward to Alpha Protocol
    http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showforum=67
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    edited July 2009
    New Alpha Protocol Walkthrough trailer. Looking good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jujKOzHmLWA

Preview by videogamer
    http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/alpha_protocol/preview-1859.html

62691754.jpg