New ajb007 - Overview

Welcome to the new Absolutely James Bond. This is the first step in a long overdue upgrade of the website and all it's features. Most of the features are the same as the old site, or at least as near as possible.

Please use this topic if you have any questions about the new site. I urge you to post any comments, good or bad, the site is by no means complete and I will consider all comments.

Please Note - What you are experiencing is not the finished article, graphics and articles etc. will be coming back. Unfortunately due to problems with the old site I decided to upgrade sooner rather than later. This will knock out a few features temporarily but is for the better in the long run.

New Features - Overview

[list=*]
[*]Quick Posts - At the bottom of every topic page is a posting form to make it even easier and quicker to post.[/*]
[*]Post Editor - Formatting options are now one click if you have javascript enabled. You can of course still type the codes.[/*]
[*]Email Subscriptions - Receive an email when some replies to a topic you are subscribed to.[/*]
[*]Search that actually works! :))[/*]
[*]Quick links at the top to all new posts since your last visit, currently active topics, and topics without answers - very useful![/*]
[*]Links on each forum and topic to show the new posts since your last visit - Again very useful![/*]
[*]Lots more I'll post as I remember![/*]
[/list]

Not Finished & Coming Soon
[list=*]
[*]RSS Feeds will be available for each forum - as well as for new posts etc.[/*]
[*]The codes you can use while posting have not been finalised.[/*]
[*]General Site Layout and Graphics - Darrenhats graphics will be reappearing![/*]
[*]Avatar options are currently a bit basic, I am working on re-instating a gallery.[/*]
[*]Private Messages - They are more basic than before (if that's possible!)[/*]
[*]Again lots more and I'll post as I remember![/*]
[/list]

Private Messages

Please see: http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/33196/private-messages/

[strike]No private messages have been transferred, there were simply too many of them it would of been a ridiculous use of resources! If you want any of your messages I am more than happy to supply them as text to you. If you want them imported into this site I will see what I can do but they are not a priority at this stage. I apologise for any inconvenience this causes. - If you have anything important saved there I can retrieve it for you. [/strike]

Comments, Questions, Suggestions...
Please post any comments or questions here. I must stress if you don't like something, or you love something please post as I will be making changes over the coming days so speak now... Lastly sorry it's taking so long it is quite a mammoth project though! I hope you can work around any problems, I will try and fix them as fast as I can.

Updates & Fixes
[list=*]
[*]Update: Added sub and sup tags for subscript and superscript.[/*]
[*]Fix: Some links were coloured black on a black background[/*]
[*]Update: Private Messages can now be retrieved. - http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/33196/private-messages/[/*]
[*]Update: Strike tag - Typing strike in square brackets will strike text.[/*]
[*]The articles are now back (all be it in a temporarily basic form! http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/[/*]
[/list]
Simon

Comments

• scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    I wasn't even aware of any changes being made but I'm looking forward to seeing the completed new look Simon. I'm sure it is gonna look great.
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I'm sure we'll hang in there while all the kinks get worked through :)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Excellent work, looks better, and is faster. :)
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    I like the quick reply and new post feature. I would like it if when I put the cursor over the topic title it gave us the first sentence or few words of the post. All in all I love the site and am glad it is back up.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Very nice so far Si - I'm just glad I was able to change my password hassle free - phew!!

Loving the new layout, very fresh!

-{
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    1) All the posts in 'James Bond Trivia Challenge' are gone. Does this mean new games?

2) The gender, from, registered & posts from the members cannot be seen because it is grey text on a grey background.

3) Where has the avatar gallery gone

4) Where has the favourite films feature gone?
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    From a different topic:
    1) All the posts in 'James Bond Trivia Challenge' are gone. Does this mean new games?

2) The gender, from, registered & posts from the members cannot be seen because it is grey text on a grey background.

3) Where has the avatar gallery gone

4) Where has the favourite films feature gone?

1) Yes they have I will import a few later. Otherwise just start again! - If you want anything specific let me know the title.

2) This is now fixed thanks for pointing it out. If you can't see them yet and are on Windows hold the ctrl key and press F5 to refresh the page.

3) As mentioned above I am working on it. For the moment I apologise about the strict restrictions on avatar uploads (they currently must be the correct size.

4) This is temporarily gone until I can rework it for the new site. It's coming back bigger and better than ever!

I hope this answers some of your questions.
    Simon
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    I like it, especially the quick post at the bottom

Should look great when finished -{
    Some of the smiles on the quick reply are squashed. About 3 of them
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,419Quartermasters
    Cool, good to have AJB back. Thanks Si for your hard work!! :007)

I look forward to seeing all the features such as articles etc. back.
    A few more new features I have noticed.
    [list=*]
    [*]Online of offline under user name on topic[/*]
    [*]Time you posted a message on profile page, topic posted x mins ago[/*]
    [*]Favourite Topics and subscriptions[/*]
    [*]Settings like topics and posts per page etc - editable via profile page[/*]
    [/list]
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    It gives me a headache... :#

Why does everything have to be underlined?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    Great job on the new layout SiCo; I really like the new look - everything has a much more organized and streamlined appearance - and new features like quick reply.

Just one quick question: will mods still have to approve avatars or can I just upload a pic?

Bravo and keep up the great work.
  • gussguss South Wales, UKPosts: 195MI6 Agent
    Hi can we have alink at the bottom of each page, for returning to the'TOP of PAGE' i that makes sense!:s

I'm sorry to hear that, it's the last thing I want! What exactly and I can work towards fixing it. All the old links were underlined too. Which are causing the problems?
    Simon
    guss wrote:
    Hi can we have alink at the bottom of each page, for returning to the'TOP of PAGE' i that makes sense!:s

Yep 100% agree, will get to it when I get home.
    TonyDP wrote:
    Just one quick question: will mods still have to approve avatars or can I just upload a pic?

Currently no but you still can't use MGM Copyrighted images so please don't If this is abused I will work moderation back in.
    Simon
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I always checked the "Today's Posts", but that category seems to have vanished ...will it return? Or is it just that I have been able to find it yet?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    This is the first time I am using the quick reply. It's really convenient. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that, it's the last thing I want! What exactly and I can work towards fixing it. All the old links were underlined too. Which are causing the problems?

Nothing too bad. It's just like it's stretching my brain...

gruesome_scanners_431x300.jpg

Isn't the grey too grey or something?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    SiCo a big thanks for this update! You have really worked hard! :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Simon, do you know when the notepads will be returning?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    I think the new forum software is a good improvement and I like the new layout too! Certainly a great step forward and I look forward to seeing the future developments hinted to above.

As someone who runs / manages a successful forum (on a completely unrelated topic) I know how much hard work it can be. So a big well done to the forum management at AJB!

NMS :)
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
    7289 wrote:
    I always checked the "Today's Posts", but that category seems to have vanished ...will it return? Or is it just that I have been able to find it yet?

This was a fault on my part, the links are to the right under the grey bar at the very top. I unfortunately had them coloured black on a black background!

See:
    [list=*]
    [*]New posts - All new posts since your last visit.[/*]
    [*]Active topics - All active topics (posted in within x days) - This is close to it!.[/*]
    [*]Unanswered topics - All topics without a reply, not overly relevant here, more for questions and answers forums.[/*]
    [/list]

Having done that I've realised the option you actually want isn't there ;% I'm on it!
    Simon
    Dan Same wrote:
    Simon, do you know when the notepads will be returning?

No but they certainly will be, to be honest I didn't think anyone used them! If you can go a little while without I will do my best to get them back as soon as possible.
    Simon
    Another feature besides "Today's Posts" that I used frequently was the "Who's Online."

Will that be making a return Si?

-{
    edited May 2009
    I noticed that there is a who's currently online feature at the bottom of the page but I much prefered the who's online button rather than have to scroll down the page! :))

Another I liked was on the old system when you clicked on a members profile you could see when they last logged in, will that be brought back at all and integrated into the new system?
    Another feature besides "Today's Posts" that I used frequently was the "Who's Online." Will that be making a return Si?

I am not sure, I hope so but not immediately. It's not a built in feature so I will have to work it myself. However it shouldn't be too hard to work from the small feature that is there.
    Another I liked was on the old system when you clicked on a members profile you could see when they last logged in, will that be brought back at all and integrated into the new system?

This is unlikely to return, I will however look into it.
    Simon
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    I love the new layout! It's reassuring to know some things liek tha Avatars are a work in progress, but overall I like this a lot! Once I have used it a bit more I'll try to provide some sugggestions.

Thaks for the time and effort you have put into this SiCo. Distinct improvement!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Well I'm open minded :)

It looks like a work in progress... because it is!

Once the familiar fonts and animations return, things won't look so generic, and I'm sure the AJB feel will return, only much improved :007)
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Si
    Where (and when) can we expect to see the old 'sidebar' items return, such as the articles, fan fiction, and general James Bond information?