Re: Work On 'Bond 23' Begins

I really prefer the every two years time frame with a pre Thanksgiving release. Can Bond compete with the summer "blockbusters"? The last summer release (LTK) got eaten up by the
competition. Wouldn't want Bond to have to go up against the final Harry Potter film or the next Batman. Has EON ever had a big hit with anything other than a Bond film?

I see what you mean, but for the most part these other blockbusters like Harry Potter get released at Christmas time and have been up against Bond in the past. I suppose Bond might suffer up against Transformers, even if it's a rubbish film. Plus it gets staggered more in summer, it could be any time from late May to late July. Christmas is really only Nov to mid-Dec.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Well, how about a summer 2011 release? That's how it was when I was a kid.

I think Bond in the summertime is great...I'd party like it was 1989!

I think Summer, particularly Summer 2011, will be heavily populated with superheroes.  Eon (perhaps rightfully) seems leary of being lost in the crowd of titles being released.  They've had a great deal of success in November, and I'll be surprised if they move---the diminished take of LTK isn't something they'll want to relive.

Last edited by Loeffelholz (8th Oct 2009 18:48)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Although I don't particularly like this era, I do want to see a new Bond film, and I think it's terrific that not only has work already begun but that drugs (an underused element in Bond films) will play a role in the next film. I also don't want to see a summer release. There are too many blockbusters released during that period, and I like that Bond has become associated with the latter part of the year, if only with me.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Dan Same wrote:

I also don't want to see a summer release.

What are you talking about, Dan...a Christmas release is summer for you! ajb007/lol

We probably won't see a 'summer' release ever again after the drubbing that LTK got. And with film budgets being what they are these days, who can blame Eon for staying in safer waters. My sole desire for a summer release is strictly nostalgic.

darenhat wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

I also don't want to see a summer release.

What are you talking about, Dan...a Christmas release is summer for you! ajb007/lol

ajb007/lol true, true. ajb007/embarrassed Since most of the people on this site are European/American, however, I go by their summer as it's just easier than to have to establish which summer people are talking about, every time we talk about summer releases.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

I wonder if EON is thinking after a three year hiatus that the public will be a little hungrier for a Bond film. Also, publicity and marketing was almost nonexistant (at least in the USA)  for LTK. With a huge promotional campaign maybe EON believes they can own the summer...and after testing the waters with CR and QOS that they know what works and what doesn't along with what classic/iconic elements to reintroduce and can come up with the new magic formula  and create a modern Goldfinger or Thunderball-like box office monster.

But hold on...the latest news---

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?ite … amp;s=news

---seems to contradict the news/rumour that revived this thread.  Both MGM and Fox are denying that marketing and distribution rights have been sold...for now  ajb007/shifty

It's funny...even at the corporate level, nothing's certain...

EDIT: Or perhaps especially at the corporate level  ajb007/insane

Last edited by Loeffelholz (9th Oct 2009 07:30)

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Dan Same wrote:

Although I don't particularly like this era, I do want to see a new Bond film, and I think it's terrific that not only has work already begun but that drugs (an underused element in Bond films) will play a role in the next film.

You say that, but I've often sat there wondering what Wade and Purvis are smoking.... ajb007/biggrin

Anyway, summer for you guys is in November.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Although I don't particularly like this era, I do want to see a new Bond film, and I think it's terrific that not only has work already begun but that drugs (an underused element in Bond films) will play a role in the next film.

You say that, but I've often sat there wondering what Wade and Purvis are smoking.... ajb007/biggrin

Not just Wade and Purvis ajb007/biggrin (there are a few other people involved in Bond in recent years, who might be on something ajb007/shifty.)

Napoleon Plural wrote:

Anyway, summer for you guys is in November.

Well, actually December to February (although we do get the Bond films in late November, early December.) As I explained to Darenhat above, since most of the people on this site are European/American, however, I go by their summer as it's just easier than to have to establish which summer people are talking about, every time we talk about summer releases.

Last edited by Dan Same (9th Oct 2009 13:58)

We'll have to wait a while longer for 'Bond 23' ajb007/crap

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?ite … amp;s=news

Well, it looks like sometime around 11/11 for Bond 23. No summer release, which despite a full extra years wait probably is a better box office bet. I think EON is smart to have Bond be the 500 lb gorilla in the room that owns the fall rather than just another summer flick competing with the likes of Batman, et al. I also think EON is hot to trot to get the film version of "A Steady Rain" into production after DC and Jackman step down from the Broadway run. I'm guessing the film adaption will be quite a bit different than the stage play...with events described by the two charactors played out on screen. Hmm, I wonder if getting to helm "A Steady Rain" would be a nice carrot to get someone real good to direct Bond 23? Katherine Bigelow anyone?

HowardB wrote:

I also think EON is hot to trot to get the film version of "A Steady Rain" into production after DC and Jackman step down from the Broadway run. I'm guessing the film adaption will be quite a bit different than the stage play...with events described by the two charactors played out on screen. Hmm, I wonder if getting to helm "A Steady Rain" would be a nice carrot to get someone real good to direct Bond 23? Katherine Bigelow anyone?

A film version huh? Will Hugh Jackman open the movie reminding everyone to turn off their cell phones?

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

I think Bond 23 should follow the plot of the script of an unmade Bond film in the 1970s that involves a plan to send killer sharks into New York City.  Not sure if that would work in today's world.

Railer 505 wrote:

I think Bond 23 should follow the plot of the script of an unmade Bond film in the 1970s that involves a plan to send killer sharks into New York City.  Not sure if that would work in today's world.

Yep, can see why they didn't make that one...

Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com

PPK 7.65mm wrote:

I heard that Kevin Spacey wants to play the bad guy in the next film. 

Any thoughts on this?

Spacey is a great actor, plus in of all things Fred Claus, he proved he can play a bad guy.  However, he's an intellectual type of bad guy.  The bad guys in Bond films (Goldfinger, Blofeld) are gelantinous blobs, powered by greed and lust, not by intellect.  I'd never hire Spacey for a Bond film.

Edit:  I would hire him to play Felix Leiter

Last edited by Yankee Mike Bravo (3rd Jan 2010 23:59)

I would not want to see Kevin Spacey play as a Bond villain. We need another star villain. Not Kevin Spacey.

Kevin Spacey has already played one of the greatest film villains, Lex Luthor.  I think for that reason alone, the producers won't hire him for a villain role in a Bond film, especially a character like Blofeld.  It would draw too many comparisons.

True