1

Topic: I can't believe the villain did that!

One of my favourite things about Bond films is seeing what ridiculous errors the evil supervillain makes at the point in the film where Bond is at his mercy but the villain (for some unknown reasons) decides not to bother shooting Bond.  Instead he concocts some despicable (but overly complicated) demise for Bond that inevitably fails!

E.g. FYEO - Christatos tries to kills Bond buy drowning him and Melina - Goes wrong, then tries to run them over with a boat?  No joy there either so he simply gives up and assumes that the sharks will make mincemeat of them!  I guess he's a busy guy and couldn't be bothered to wait around and do a more thorough search.......but if he's so busy I'm wondering why he didn't just shot the buggers in the first place and just throw their limp bodies overboard?  I guess 'better safe than sorry' isn't Aris' motto!!

What villian https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/male-chicken-c-up is your favourite? and has anyone ever counted how many times Bond has cheated death in a highly unlikely way?

2

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Blofeld shooting Osato instead  of Bond. That's just some lazy writing there. I can't even think of a reason why he'd do that (and I'm sure someone will come up with something).

For Kristatos, you could say that he was a sadist and wanted a cruel punishment, or that he was contractually obliged to reference Ian Fleming's "Live and Let Die."

3

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Cat, just ask your owner (after he's fed you...)

It's because he feels more let down by his subordinates, who he pays, than Bond who is be default his enemy anyway. Obviously. ajb007/wink

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

4

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Anothe one from FYEO.

As Bond is climbing up to st. Cyrils, one of the henchmen discovers his rope.

So what does he do?

A) Raise the alarm and let people know they are under attack?
ajb007/cool Cut the rope.
C) Climb down himself and use his gun not to shoot, but to try and smash the pitons loose from the rocks.

ajb007/crap

"Christ, I miss the Cold War."

5

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Lol you have to love Apostis, Mister White, henchman intelligence at its best!

Anyway, one of my favorite villain **** ups has to be a tie between Kananga and Tee Hee.  Kananga has Bond all strapped up in a chair, finds out Solitaire has no powers, and instead of having Tee Hee slowly chopping his appendages off, he lets Tee Hee take him to the crocodile farm where the latter leaves Bond for dead not even staying to watch him be eaten by the crocodiles.

Last edited by Felix Rodriguez (21st Jun 2009 06:31)

"I never joke about my work 007"

6

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

I think Blofeld was just nervous and couldn't think clearly.......he knew Bond would slaughter him if he got his hands on him ajb007/tongue

7

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Dumbest villian moment of all had to be when Elliot Carver didn't shoot Bond when he had the chance. At that point Bond already ruined his plans , why make some speech about making an escape ? Just shoot the guy for god's sake. I think Johnthan Pyrce did comment about how stupid that scene was.

8

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

I'm afraid I have to recommend Red Grant. After an entire movie builing him up as a silent but deadly blond assassin of ruthless precision and no emotion, it seems quite odd to have him suddenly take an interest in something so base as the gold sovereigns in Bond's briefcase. What, aren't Spectre paying him enough?

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

9

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Napoleon Plural wrote:

I'm afraid I have to recommend Red Grant. After an entire movie builing him up as a silent but deadly blond assassin of ruthless precision and no emotion, it seems quite odd to have him suddenly take an interest in something so base as the gold sovereigns in Bond's briefcase. What, aren't Spectre paying him enough?

I am sure they paid him well but that was gold you are talking about here and Red got greedy like anyone else.

10

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

It's interesting about Grant. I have to admitt, I'm in two minds about it. On one hand, it shows that he's human and rather flawed at that, since he's willing to neglect his duty in the name of personal greed. On the other hand, it does go against everything that was suggested of his character previously. If I had to choose, I would say that I like it, if only because it's something I can overlook, but also because I do like that this great villain is betrayed by something as primal as greed.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

11

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Three **** ups that I really think mattered.  Why didn't I shoot bond instead of Osata . When Red Grant gets greedy and takes the bait with the gold soveriens, and when Elliot Carver just shoot bond when he already foiled his plans .

12

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

The one mistake that really stands out to me is the scene where Nick Nack was about to kill an unconscious James Bond in The Man with the Golden Gun but Hai Fat refused to have bloodshed in his home so he told the French midget to take Mr. Bond to school. Needless to say Bond escaped the karate school, and Scaramanga joked about it.

"What do they teach at that school ballet dancing?"

"I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."

13

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Oh I forgot about that 1. JIMMYBOND0129

14

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

one scene i can never get out of my head is when 'blofeld' controls bonds helicopter in fyeo and flies it for ever..... and ever.

"You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
James Bond- Licence To Kill

15

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

dr. evan-gelist wrote:

one scene i can never get out of my head is when 'blofeld' controls bonds helicopter in fyeo and flies it for ever..... and ever.

I think Blofeld did that to torture Bond but really all it did was give Bond time to take control of the helicopter.

"I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."

16

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

JimmyBond0129 wrote:
dr. evan-gelist wrote:

one scene i can never get out of my head is when 'blofeld' controls bonds helicopter in fyeo and flies it for ever..... and ever.

I think Blofeld did that to torture Bond but really all it did was give Bond time to take control of the helicopter.

As well as test his new stand-up act. Also why didn't Bond take up Blowers' offer of the deli ? So he killed his wife, big deal. ajb007/rolleyes

17

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

bond does have this eternal hatred for his wife being killed. its sad to lose a wife but hes a secret agent, so there are risks to a relationship..... he should move on.

"You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
James Bond- Licence To Kill

18

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

dr. evan-gelist wrote:

bond does have this eternal hatred for his wife being killed. its sad to lose a wife but hes a secret agent, so there are risks to a relationship..... he should move on.

That's quite harsh. Bond may be a secret agent, which arguably directly led to his wife being killed, but he's also a human being. He can't just 'move on' as you say. I mean, in theory, you might be right, but don't forget that Bond's lack of emotional discipline is exactly what led to his falling in love.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

19

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

dr. evan-gelist wrote:

bond does have this eternal hatred for his wife being killed. its sad to lose a wife but hes a secret agent, so there are risks to a relationship..... he should move on.

I was being sarcastic. ajb007/lol

20

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

petelangers wrote:

E.g. FYEO - Christatos tries to kills Bond buy drowning him and Melina - Goes wrong, then tries to run them over with a boat?  No joy there either so he simply gives up and assumes that the sharks will make mincemeat of them!  I guess he's a busy guy and couldn't be bothered to wait around and do a more thorough search.......but if he's so busy I'm wondering why he didn't just shot the buggers in the first place and just throw their limp bodies overboard?  I guess 'better safe than sorry' isn't Aris' motto!!

Tell me about it! Especially as Melina's yacht is nearby. Surely he would've sent some men back to wait in case they returned.

21

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

DangerMouse wrote:
petelangers wrote:

E.g. FYEO - Christatos tries to kills Bond buy drowning him and Melina - Goes wrong, then tries to run them over with a boat?  No joy there either so he simply gives up and assumes that the sharks will make mincemeat of them!  I guess he's a busy guy and couldn't be bothered to wait around and do a more thorough search.......but if he's so busy I'm wondering why he didn't just shot the buggers in the first place and just throw their limp bodies overboard?  I guess 'better safe than sorry' isn't Aris' motto!!

Tell me about it! Especially as Melina's yacht is nearby. Surely he would've sent some men back to wait in case they returned.

Yeah that was pretty dopey for someone who played it smart during the entire film. All of a sudden he was like "Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie it they are dead...probably". ajb007/lol

22

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

For me the biggest villian foul up is when Bond is chained to the chair with the laser in Goldfinger. There was absolutely no way at all for him to escape. Not even any special Q-Branch gadgetry to free him that we would have come to expect in later films.

Fair enough I suppose Goldfinger may have been persuaded not to kill him out of fear Bond knew something about Operation Grand Slam. But afterwards he mostly just kept the secret agent locked up instead of having OddJob and his other henchmen torture him to find out how much he actually knew and whether he had passed any vital information about the scheme on to the CIA or other agencies.

Isn't that ridiculous? HA HA HA ajb007/lol ajb007/rolleyes ajb007/tongue

Roger Moore is my favourite 007 R.I.P.

23

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Wint and Kidd far-out wrote:

For me the biggest villian foul up is when Bond is chained to the chair with the laser in Goldfinger. There was absolutely no way at all for him to escape. Not even any special Q-Branch gadgetry to free him that we would have come to expect in later films.

Fair enough I suppose Goldfinger may have been persuaded not to kill him out of fear Bond knew something about Operation Grand Slam. But afterwards he mostly just kept the secret agent locked up instead of having OddJob and his other henchmen torture him to find out how much he actually knew and whether he had passed any vital information about the scheme on to the CIA or other agencies.

Isn't that ridiculous? HA HA HA ajb007/lol ajb007/rolleyes ajb007/tongue

No it isn't.  Goldfinger didn't give a hang what Bond knew--he kept him alive and relatively healthy SOLELY for the purpose of convincing snooping agents (like Felix and his KFC-lovin' buddy) that Bond was on the job and didn't need any help.  Never diss Goldfinger when I'm around!

Vox clamantis in deserto

24

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Hardyboy wrote:
Wint and Kidd far-out wrote:

For me the biggest villian foul up is when Bond is chained to the chair with the laser in Goldfinger. There was absolutely no way at all for him to escape. Not even any special Q-Branch gadgetry to free him that we would have come to expect in later films.

Fair enough I suppose Goldfinger may have been persuaded not to kill him out of fear Bond knew something about Operation Grand Slam. But afterwards he mostly just kept the secret agent locked up instead of having OddJob and his other henchmen torture him to find out how much he actually knew and whether he had passed any vital information about the scheme on to the CIA or other agencies.

Isn't that ridiculous? HA HA HA ajb007/lol ajb007/rolleyes ajb007/tongue

No it isn't.  Goldfinger didn't give a hang what Bond knew--he kept him alive and relatively healthy SOLELY for the purpose of convincing snooping agents (like Felix and his KFC-lovin' buddy) that Bond was on the job and didn't need any help.  Never diss Goldfinger when I'm around!

Dead right Hardyboy. ajb007/wink

25

Re: I can't believe the villain did that!

Okay so it's been a long time since I've actually watched any of the Bonds I admit. I forget all the details. I should buy the DVDs soon.

Roger Moore is my favourite 007 R.I.P.