Tributes Thread

Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
edited September 2009 in Off Topic Chat
Until the old Tributes thread is resurrected, I thought I would start a temporary thread. Sadly, it's not because I want to increase my topic count but because I was absolutely shocked to discover that the great David Carradine, of Kung Fu and Kill Bill fame, has died. :( He was a fantastic actor, whose Western-style Martial Arts persona, was a wonderful combination of East meets West, and he was IMO one of the best things about Kill Bill Vol. 2. RIP -{

Actor David Carradine found dead in Bangkok

June 5, 2009 - 12:36AM

Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series Kung Fu who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok.

A spokesman for the US Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He says Carradine died either late on Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The website of the newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found on Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room and is believed to have committed suicide.

Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.
"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Aw damn. Great actor; worked with some of the best, Bergman, Scorsese, Tarantino. Cool recent cameo in Crank: High Voltage too. Rest in peace Grasshopper.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,881Chief of Staff
    Strange--I felt a sense of shock when I heard that he was 73! RIP, Mr. Carradine.

. . .I have the radio on right now and I just heard that Carradine was found hanging, and it's believed he committed suicide. This is the real shock.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,985Quartermasters
    Very sad news, of course; I was quite a fan of David Carradine, having been a regular watcher of Kung Fu (like every other kid my age at the time B-) ). He certainly carried his age well---I thought he was fantastic in the 'Kill Bill' films. His recent TV commercials about the Yellow Pages were also excellent, playing on his offbeat persona.

One can never know what's in someone else's heart, but I too am shocked by the apparent suicide.

Rest in peace :(
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    I just found out by reading this post...

It's shocking and very sad news.

I enjoyed his work as well as most people here.

He will be missed.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,218MI6 Agent
    Don't know what to say about this, it's a story that gets increasingly bizarre:

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/08062009/5/carradine-killed-kung-fu-assassins-0.html
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090608/ten-thai-paper-publishes-carradine-body-ea4616c.html

says it was a sex game gone wrong 8-) :s Theses meds are good cos all I can think about is Bruce Forsithe saying good game good game quick w@#k in the wardrobe :D :o :s
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,218MI6 Agent
    "Really, have you no respect for the dead...?"
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    my father in law passed away 10 days ago at the age of 60.

May he rest in peace!

Smoker for 40 years
    Lung cancer
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    "Really, have you no respect for the dead...?"

:D :v
    Bondtoys wrote:
    my father in law passed away 10 days ago at the age of 60.

May he rest in peace!

Smoker for 40 years
    Lung cancer

Condolences and all that mate :(
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff
    Very sorry to hear of your loss Bondtoys - my thoughts are with you.
    YNWA 97
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    Shih Kien :(

Han : "Welcome to a tournament of truly epic proportions !"
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Shih Kien :(

Han : "Welcome to a tournament of truly epic proportions !"
    :# He was wonderful in Enter The Dragon. His performance and villainous persona was really quite magnificent and truly iconic. RIP. -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    This probably won't mean anything to Brits or to Yanks who are too young to remember Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, but Carson's sidekick Ed McMahon died at 86. RIP.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    This probably won't mean anything to Brits or to Yanks who are too young to remember Johnny Carson's Tonight Show, but Carson's sidekick Ed McMahon died at 86. RIP.

It certainly does to me...I grew up with Johnny and Ed at 10:30 every weeknight on NBC :( Very sad, although he'd been in poor health for some time. He was right there for some of the biggest and best laughs on late-night television. Now he's back next to Johnny's desk :( Rest in peace -{
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,697MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

I'm just old enough to remember the last few years Carson was on. Johnny and Ed made a great team together. It's a shame about what happened to Ed after the Tonight Show ended. My local news said he once had a net worth of 200 million dollars, but in the last few years his mansion was about to be foreclosed on. If I remember correctly, Donald Trump bailed Ed out and Ed was able to stay in his mansion. Ed will be missed, but never forgotten.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Well , Elvis had a ton of money once and still had to work himself pretty much to death to make ends meet......so everything isn't always rosy red even with $$$ :/

Wisemans wife died according to imdb......hope he's fine :(
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited June 2009
    Farrah Fawcett passed away today, she was 62.

Her classic bathing suit poster hung in my room while I was going to college. RIP :(
    I just saw the news myself. Like every adolescent in the 1970s, I had a crush on her. Rest in peace, beautiful lady.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,277MI6 Agent
    Just read about Farrah's passing as well; really sad sad news. She really epitomized the 70s sex symbol but also showed she had some strong acting chops later in her career. Most people fell in love with her during Charlie's Angels; for me it was the little seen sci-fi film Saturn 3. She'll be missed.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I just read a news article now after seeing this thread. :( Farrah was a beautiful woman and a very underrated actress. She willl certainly be missed. RIP -{
    edited June 2009
    :(

Like any card-carrying, red-blooded heterosexual teenage male, I made sure that her classic poster adorned the wall in my bedroom---it's still one of the greatest pin-ups in history! I was there for Charlie's Angels every Wednesday night at 8 PM on ABC during the late '70s...and like Tony I loved seeing her in Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas. Yet another bit of my ever-dwindling childhood has gone.

Her final months were very sad, made moreso by the reality TV-fueled spectre of morbid media fascination...and an arguably self-inflicted element of exploitation. However one feels about producing a TV special about one's own impending death (I certainly couldn't bring myself to watch it), she remained in the public eye until the very end.

Rest in peace :(
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    We've just learned Michael Jackson has died. He was 50.

Michael suffered a cardiac arrest earlier this afternoon at his Holmby Hills home and paramedics were unable to revive him. We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back.

A source tells us Jackson was dead when paramedics arrived.

LaToya ran in the hospital sobbing, after Jackson was pronounced dead.

Michael is survived by three children: Michael Joseph Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince "Blanket" Michael Jackson II.

http://www.tmz.com/
    TMZ isn't to reliable. Various news stations have not confirmed MJs death, they just report he was rushed to the hospital and was in cardiac arrest.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/25/michael.jackson/index.html
    8420 wrote:
    We've just learned Michael Jackson has died. He was 50.

Michael suffered a cardiac arrest earlier this afternoon at his Holmby Hills home and paramedics were unable to revive him. We're told when paramedics arrived Jackson had no pulse and they never got a pulse back.

Confirmation of this is quite slow in coming from major news outlets. If true, it's very sad.

A brilliant musician/performer; a study in bizarre self-destruction. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    edited June 2009
    Associated Press and the LA Times have now confirmed the news.

Before the allegations, before the arrests, and before the plastic surgeries, he was as talented and famous a performer as anyone who ever lived. It's a loss...but tragically, that particular individual has been gone for quite a while. The person who took his place, with his alleged proclivities, bizarre behaviour and confirmed massive debt, was a fun-house mirror image of himself.

I hope he finds peace in the next world.
    Associated Press and the LA Times have now confirmed the news.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MICHAEL_JACKSON?SITE=TXPLA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
    I was never a big Michael Jackson fan, though I respected his talent. He was such a strange man, who led a strange life, and now seems to have met a strange end. And as always the deaths seem to come in threes: Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and now Michael Jackson.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    BBC news have confirmed as well as digital spy.