Re: Tributes Thread

RIP the absolutely magnificent Little Richard  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Sir Miles wrote:

RIP the absolutely magnificent Little Richard  ajb007/martini

I couldn’t agree more.  Some entertainers are truly one of a kind, and he fit that bill.

Hilly...you old devil!

Didn't realise he'd done so many. Long Tall Sally is great of course, I mean I love The Beatles' version.

Lennon did some covers too.

Only Jerry Lee Lewis left of the originals, surely?

Can anyone recommend a great rock n roll compilation vinyl album with Lee Lewis, Presley, Berry, Little Richard and Buddy Holly? It does seem they've been overlooked of late in the digital era. But their songs were great - I mean Chuck Berry had great lyrics and everything.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Jerry Stiller
1927 – 2020

George Costanza's father on Seinfeld
Ben Stiller's father in real life

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQIUja-qkNY

Lee Fierro

Also Stiller was major highlight on King of Queens

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig … he-beatles

Astrid Kerchherr - the woman who helped create The Beatles.

Her chum went on to design the cover to Revolver, played bass on the Plastic Ono Band AND produced no 1 hit Da Da Da by Trio.

She created the Beatles haircut and that slightly chic European feel that gave the Beatles the edge when they returned from Hamburg. Took great photos too.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Big Boss composer Peter Thomas (first B Lee movie)

Michael Angelis, superb as Chrissy in Boys from the Blackstuff, has died suddenly. He also took over from Ringo Starr as the narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine, RIP.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

Smithers500 wrote:

Michael Angelis, superb as Chrissy in Boys from the Blackstuff, has died suddenly. He also took over from Ringo Starr as the narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine, RIP.

I liked his work, thought he always added a certain something to the role - RIP  ajb007/martini

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

Kurt Thomas, US Olympic Gymnast and star of my beloved film GYMKATA died.  He was only 64.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

So Gymkata is .......(searches IMDB) ....... ah

Number24 wrote:

I did this same thing recently.

Golrush007 wrote:
Number24 wrote:

I did this same thing recently.

https://youtu.be/o4HOlhADlZo?t=1609

Redlettermedia's Best of the Worst about Gymkata.

Oh, it's NOT a good movie.  Not at all.  But it falls into that 'so bad that it's fun to watch' niche.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

Denny O’Neill has passed away. He was a famed writer for DC comics, penning substantial runs on the Batman and Green Lantern series. He also wrote the popular Superman vs. Muhammad Ali one-shot issue.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

RIP to Denny O'Neill, as I comic book reader I have read quite a few of his Batman stories growing and I really enjoyed them. He also worked for Marvel for time writing Spider-Man(another superhero whose adventures I enjoy reading) and other titles before returning to DC. Defiantly going to check out the Superman vs Muhammad Ali one shot in the near future.

Denny O'Neill, collaborating with artist Neal Adams, made Batman a darker more realistic comic in the early 1970s. Getting rid of all the silly stuff associated with the teevee show, and paving the way for Frank Miller's more disturbing interpretation in the 1980s.
Batman is now DC's most popular character by far, and it is their "Dark Knight Detective" version that we know today.

O'Neill and Adams also created the famous Green Lantern/Green Arrow "relevant" series, one of DC's most important runs.

wikipedia tells me it was also O'Neill who wrote the stories where Wonder Woman briefly lost her powers and superhero costume and became an Emma Peel type character. Didn't realise that.

RIP Dame Vera Lynn. A beautiful woman that gave hope to so many. After such a great innings she will be sorely missed.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

It's incredible that one of the most famous voices of WWII has been with us until today. "We'll meet again"

Sir Ian Holm has passed aged 88 RIP

https://i.postimg.cc/f32VzxBh/112972366-metrop1jun19.jpg

Amazing to think that when this lady was born, World War I was raging - 1917.
Bit of a choker hearing this news yesterday morning.
V glad she made it to 103 - and for the VE anniversary this year.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/f32VzxBh/112972366-metrop1jun19.jpg

Amazing to think that when this lady was born, World War I was raging - 1917.
Bit of a choker hearing this news yesterday morning.
V glad she made it to 103 - and for the VE anniversary this year.

I read her obit in today's New York Times, and I confess to having never heard of her.  That is, until I learned that her "We'll Meet Again" plays over nuclear destruction at the end of Dr. Strangelove.  Of course I've heard of her!  She was obviously much more important than that, though.  RIP.  ajb007/cheers

Hilly...you old devil!

Sir Hillary Bray wrote:

I read her obit in today's New York Times, and I confess to having never heard of her.  That is, until I learned that her "We'll Meet Again" plays over nuclear destruction at the end of Dr. Strangelove.  Of course I've heard of her!  She was obviously much more important than that, though.  RIP.

Do you know the Pink Floyd album The Wall? The song "Vera" is about her.

And sad to hear about Ian Holm--a great actor, no matter the material!

Vox clamantis in deserto

I just read that Joel Schumacher has died aged 80. Director of the Lost Boys, Falling Down, Batman Forever and of course Batman and Robin, RIP.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r4mGI_PhKvQ/UodnfFbq_mI/AAAAAAABVNU/gVffQtHJBiQ/s1600/119529-peter-falk-as-columbo.jpg

9 years today. R.I.P Peter Falk.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"