Re: It's Official: Bond 23 Writers Named

Rick Roberts wrote:

If Morgan crafts anything like Last King of Scotland for Bond 23, I'll be extremely happy. I wish Pervert and Waste would finally be given the boot but oh well, beggers can't be chosers.

I can't say that I quite agree with you, but I've never heard them being described that way. ajb007/lol

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

I must admit I didn't come up with those nicknames myself but they sure do fit. ajb007/biggrin

Personally, I was happy to escape elementary school, and I'm not the least bit nostalgic about those days.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Napoleon Plural wrote:
Hardyboy wrote:

Perhaps Morgan is to write the ultimate "hierarchical battle" for a Bond film--between Bond and a terrific villain?

Ah now you're talking. Funny though, and telling, how we actually have forgotten about that. The Bond-M thing is the main relationship of the last few films, and a dreary one at that.

I like Morgan's work, up to a point. The dialogue is very fluent and I liked The Queen, thought it had a Bond flavour to it. But my reservations are the usual; really I would have hired director Stephen Frears for Bond as much as the writer, who does have a certain easy, repetitive style to him. As ChrisNo1 points out, it runs along similar lines whatever film he does. Will we have a dream sequence where the villain phones Bond at his Mayfair abode and berate him, "You lead a charmed life, James, but we were both outsiders once..."  ajb007/lol

Yes, I liked Wade and Purvis in TWINE but that was a loooooooooong time ago. And I have a hunch that had a dialogue polish which is why it works a bit better for me on that one. Why does DS hate Haggis? It's hard to tell from CR and QoS what is his work and which is P+W.

TWINE is absolutly the worst Bond movie of alltime and has the least well written script of all the bond movies. The only script Purvis and Wade has written that is any good is CR and that's just an adaption so they should let Purvis and Wade stick to writing Johnny English movies and let Morgan and Haggis write the script for bond 23

Loeffelholz wrote:
zaphod wrote:

like others I really hope that the Bond/M relationship is not a prominent factor next time around as this should make it possible to restict the role of M to briefing, mid mission update, and denoument.

And even that is arguably at least one more scene than is needed.  Some of the better Fleming novels have M at the beginning, and merely sending a communique at the end...

In that sense, I hope the next M, whenever he/she comes, isn't a celebrated/awarded superstar.  I'd prefer a skilled but relatively unknown character actor, so that the writers aren't obligated to 'build up' the part any further than they've already done.  But watch and see...the next one will be Helen Mirren  ajb007/crap  ajb007/lol

Lets save that for when Henry Cavill takes over  for Bond 25 or 26.

A trickle of a teaser coming from the resurrected MI6, regarding Peter Morgan's remark about Bond 23:  "It's a shocking story."

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/ … p;id=02434

Also of interest is that apparently Morgan wrote the first draft of #23, from July until October this year.  This a departure from the routine of late, where P&W did the first draft and a third party (Paul Haggis with CR and QoS) came in to polish.

So P&W are polishing Morgan?  ajb007/confused  Go figure.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Loeffelholz wrote:

So P&W are polishing Morgan?  ajb007/confused  Go figure.

Maybe it's a first draft based on an 'outline' from them ?

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

chrisno1 wrote:

I didn't expect to see this thread here, apologies for posting elsewhere... I must pay more attention.

To re-iterate what I said yesterday, I have no issue with Peter Morgan, his writing is very good and he gets underneath the skin of his characters, so we could be looking at some good personality development for Daniel Craig, which would be excellent. 
However, given PM's experience with hierarchical battles (Queen vs Tony Blair, Frost vs Nixon) doesn't this point to more scenes of 007 and M throwing quips and barbs at each other??? Something I'm not particularly in favour of.

I never warmed to P&W although they did a much better job with CR than all their other efforts, chiefly, I think, because CR was based solidly in the realm of Ian Fleming. They seem to struggle when constructing a tale outside of that, making the goings on too confusing and relying on action to propell the plot.

I think MGW and BB are definately going down a "safety first" route here, working with people they know and love. It shows a laziness that Cubby got bogged down with in the dreary 1980s when almost every film was scripted, directed, edited, photographed, designed, by the same people.

Personally, I expected more from these two, who did so well with the "reboot" idea, but look to me to be tailing off a little. I can only wait and see, but after QOS rather tired screenplay and plot (IMO) I had hoped for something better.

I also expect P&W are on board purely to develop the Quantum side of things, which looks like developing into a sort of SPECTRE for DC's Bond. Let's hope they utilise Mr White properly this time around.

I'm not thrilled by P&W being involved and had hoped for an injection of new blood for 23. I would prefer the next film not to involve Quantum and would like the threat to come from somewhere new and unexpected. If they insist on developing Quantum (which I expect they will) as a kind of Post-modern SPECTRE it just smacks of rehash and laziness unless they really develop the idea fully this time. I'm not particularly anti or pro P&W but feel that the series has involved them long enough and doubt that they have much new to contribute. Lets hope that Morgan has enough fizz and new ideas to counterbalance them. the choice of Director will give us a really good steer tr direction and tone for 23

Loeffelholz wrote:

A trickle of a teaser coming from the resurrected MI6, regarding Peter Morgan's remark about Bond 23:  "It's a shocking story."

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/ … p;id=02434

Shocking story? Maybe some of us will get what we want. And that's a new M. Of course, we all know what needs to happen to the current M ajb007/shifty

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

That would be fantastic   ajb007/shifty