The new Miss Moneypenny

JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
Who do you think should be the new Miss Moneypenny in Bond 23? I vote for Emily Blunt because she has such a voluptuous figure, she could be the first and only Moneypenny who matches the novel's description. The second Fleming novel describes Miss Moneypenny as desirable, but in my humble opinion Lois Maxwell, Caroline Bliss and Samantha Bond were a far cry from desirable.
"I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Well...there are a few of these threads bounding around, but...my first choice would be Saffron Burrows :x

But then again, I thought all the actresses who played Moneypenny were desirable...until Lois Maxwell and Sir Roger began to look like two pensioners flirting in a retirement home :#
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
    Well...there are a few of these threads bounding around, but...my first choice would be Saffron Burrows :x

But then again, I thought all the actresses who played Moneypenny were desirable...until Lois Maxwell and Sir Roger began to look like two pensioners flirting in a retirement home :#

There's an old black and white picture of Lois Maxwell, on Wikipedia. It was taken when she was a bit younger and in my opinion Maxwell was desirable in that photo but she wasn't desirable in any of her Bond outings.

• Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent

That would have been LALD then? 8-)

In my opinion Lois Maxwell, Caroline Bliss and Samantha Bond were desirable enough. The kind of woman with whom you would flirt with at work, to have some fun as colleagues, but not the kind you would ask out on a date. Perfect for the Moneypenny/Bond relationship.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
    That would have been LALD then? 8-)

Around then, yeah ;) Actually, IMO things were fine on that front until MR or so...
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent

well, I would agree, however, Saffron can hardly be called voluptuous, more very tall and willowy....and we all know that if Miss Moneypenny was - 'gasp' - taller than Bond (we've had this argument before) think of all the raucous that would cause 8-)

I think Keely Hawes would be great, but alas I think she's a bit too 'well known' now....and a bit mainstream. I think they will cast an unkown, so they can really 're-mold' the character.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:

well, I would agree, however, Saffron can hardly be called voluptuous, more very tall and willowy....and we all know that if Miss Moneypenny was - 'gasp' - taller than Bond (we've had this argument before) think of all the raucous that would cause 8-)

This argument always brings me back to Lord of the Rings...surely height means nothing with movie magic...and besides, isn't Moneypenny usually sitting down? And she needn't be voluptuous---I don't think any Moneypenny has been that...merely 'desirable' :x
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    There is an actress or two I once posted but whose names I've since forgotten. But lately I've been slightly intrigued by Julianne Nicholson, one of the detectives on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. She's a little bit Howdy Doody, but seems to have that mix of attractive but in an asexual way, girl next door/sister thing that Moneypenny in the films should represent:

http://pedrowatcher.freedomblogging.com/files/2008/06/nicholson.jpg
  • EDOG51EDOG51 EnglandPosts: 29MI6 Agent
    My vote has always been Saffron Burrows, although there are a few stumbling blocks with regards to her height etc. I see a few of you saying she isnt exactly the image portrayed by the book, but the again neither is DC but he still plays bond brilliantly. Saffron Burrows has a real air or class about her which i think would fit the bond bill perfectly, and movies nowadays can make anybody look taller or shorter so i say give her a go!
  • EDOG51EDOG51 EnglandPosts: 29MI6 Agent
    crazy idea but what about break the mould all together and go with thandie newton :x
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:

I think Keely Hawes would be great, but alas I think she's a bit too 'well known' now....and a bit mainstream. I think they will cast an unkown, so they can really 're-mold' the character.

Agree that Keely Hawes would be perfect. Not sure if she it too well known yet as I think she has mainly appeared in British TV. She might be a bit tall though. :p
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I would still like to see more of that very cute Blonde receptionist from CR, as even in that very short exchange she & Daniel had good chemistry where more was meant than was spoken. Also did I mention how cute she is :x
  • christothemanchristotheman AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    How about Keira Knightley.
    "Another time, Another Place"
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I have a feeling that when and if they recast Moneypenny, EON won't get a big-name actress. Like Sam Bond, she will most likely be someone who's done some TV and stage work, and who can usually find time every two or three years to perform what is a very small role.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    kate winslet would be the perfect moneypenny to craigs bond.
  • blofeld#1blofeld#1 Posts: 118MI6 Agent
    I like the idea of Saffron Burrows as Moneypenny. Bond would definetly have a good time with her.
    In my opinion Lois Maxwell, Caroline Bliss and Samantha Bond were desirable enough.

When I think of the word desirable I usually think of women I'd like to get in-between my sheets. And quite frankly I wouldn't want to pork any of the previous Moneypennys but I would like to pork the new Moneypenny if she's portrayed by Emily Blunt.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    Kate Winslet, Saffron Burrows, Keira Knightly, Emily Blunt ...... you don't honestly think they'll use a filom star to play miss Moneypenny?
    edited July 2009
    Number24 wrote:
    Kate Winslet, Saffron Burrows, Keira Knightly, Emily Blunt ...... you don't honestly think they'll use a filom star to play miss Moneypenny?

Well who would you cast as Miss Moneypenny? Somebody as ugly as the previous Moneypennies? I think Emily Blunt could pull it off because the role of Miss Moneypenny doesn't require acting chops. I mean all Moneypenny does is sit behind a desk and flirt with Bond....That's not hard to do.

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Quit slagging the Moneypennies, JimmyBond0129. As young women, both Lois Maxwell and Caroline Bliss were downright hot; and Samantha Bond, while not exactly someone who'd appear in Maxim, is cute--the gal you'd take home to mother.

Anyway, these suggestions for big-name actresses are just fanboy dreams. As I said before, the next Moneypenny will not be a world-famous performer: she'll be someone who's been in a few things and will be happy to step into the role every couple of years. Why would someone like Kate Winslet want to play Moneypenny? For her it would just be a cameo. For comparison, look at what Elizabeth Banks has said about playing Betty Brant in another Spider-Man movie: now that she's established herself, the role would have to be expanded and made important for her to want to do it again.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Quit slagging the Moneypennies, JimmyBond0129. As young women, both Lois Maxwell and Caroline Bliss were downright hot; and Samantha Bond, while not exactly someone who'd appear in Maxim, is cute--the gal you'd take home to mother.

I think Rosamund Pike is hotter than those old Monneypennies, too bad she can't be the new Miss Moneypenny. Pike is already famous for her previous Bond role and taking a glorified cameo would be like a step back.

edited July 2009
    Some might disagree, but I don't think Saffron Burrows is 'too big' to play Moneypenny; she's sort of a mid-level movie star. Granted, she'd be the best-known actress yet...

Whomever plays her, I hope the filmmakers do something to 'freshen up' the premise.
  • blofeld#1blofeld#1 Posts: 118MI6 Agent
    I thought Saffron Burrows role in the show Boston Legal was great. She was real flirty.
    blofeld#1 wrote:
    I thought Saffron Burrows role in the show Boston Legal was great. She was real flirty.

My brother is an actor who was lucky enough to get a one-episode job on that show, and got to be in a couple of scenes with her. He says she's a very nice person...and confirms her 'tallness' :x
    Whomever plays her, I hope the filmmakers do something to 'freshen up' the premise.

I think Moneypenny should be James Bond's personal secretary because in the Moonraker novel Bond has his own secretary and it would save EON the trouble of having to recast M in the distant future because 007 could just receive his assignments from Miss Moneypenny.

Besides that would be the perfect way to write Judi Dench out of Bond 23. :))

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:

Well who would you cast as Miss Moneypenny?

Honeysuckle Weeks

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0917320/

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/03_01/HoneyStudioMOS_468x350.jpg
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,742MI6 Agent
    Honeysuckle Weeks....sounds like a name only Flemming could have come up with.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    ooh, what about Emily Fox? She and Craig have worked together in 'flashbacks of a fool' (she actually played his very upperclass drug dealer :)) ) but she has the sassyness and slightly 'offish' persona which would add a bit of frisson....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • christothemanchristotheman AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    How about Cary Grant's daughter Jennifer Grant, she isn't full British but she could probably work around that:
    "Another time, Another Place"
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    ooh, what about Emily Fox?

She's a babe. :x