Re: Dirty Harry

1. Magnum Force
2. Dirty Harry
3. Sudden Impact
4. The Dead Pool
5. The Enforcer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Bbrown/207qoznfl4.gif

There was talk that when the title Gran Torino was announced as the next Clint Eastwood movie, some people thought it was th next installment for Harry Callaghan.
I'm glad it wasn't, there's something about a retired detective taking the law into his own hands, to me it just doesn't feel right. Callaghan pushed the rules quite a bit, but this might have been a bit too far.
Now for me it, it's Dirty Harry, then Magnum Force, then the rest.

Drawn Out Dad.
Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
twitter.com/DrawnOutDad

Some pretty intresting reviews, esp. Dan Same's - So I'll step into the breech.

"Dirty Harry" Is a stand alone great film, It features the best use of San Francisco as a set EVER. I went to college in SF a couple of years after DH was filmed and believe me they filmed SF as it really looked back then. Heck I used to ride the street-cars and often rode the "K" car #1138, sitting in Harry's seat!!!

"Magnum Force", Pretty enjoyable.  not real beliveable. I like the scene shot at the Police Shooting Range. It is/was very near my college and I visited it once. Could hear the shooting from my dorm.

"The Enforcer", I always liked the Tyne Daly charecter. She proved she had the mettle for the job in spite of the horrid way she was treated. I enjoyed all the charecter interaction, even if the plot is somewhat turgid.

"Sudden Impact", I'll accept the "trashy masterpiece" description. I always disliked the way they under-utlitzed Albert Popwell. He was a fine actor and now that he's gone, we could use a few more minutes with "Harry" and "Horace".

"The Dead Pool", for me the title really says it all. They should have tossed in the towel and left this flick on the cutting room floor.

asio wrote:

There was talk that when the title Gran Torino was announced as the next Clint Eastwood movie, some people thought it was th next installment for Harry Callaghan.
I'm glad it wasn't, there's something about a retired detective taking the law into his own hands, to me it just doesn't feel right. Callaghan pushed the rules quite a bit, but this might have been a bit too far.
Now for me it, it's Dirty Harry, then Magnum Force, then the rest.

Actually I would have loved a film with Dirty Harry retired in the early 90's and using the rumored story about a Scorpio Killer copy cat. That would be a good execuse to get Harry back in action. I would probably do a fan story but I am lazy. ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Rick Roberts (14th Jul 2009 03:15)

7289 wrote:

"Magnum Force", Pretty enjoyable.  not real beliveable. I like the scene shot at the Police Shooting Range. It is/was very near my college and I visited it once. Could hear the shooting from my dorm.

I love Hal Halbrook in this film for some reason, I can't articulate why. I just think he's the perfect white collar film.

"The Enforcer", I always liked the Tyne Daly charecter. She proved she had the mettle for the job in spite of the horrid way she was treated. I enjoyed all the charecter interaction, even if the plot is somewhat turgid.

I think the story had the right idea but the whole film felt too sit-com-esque.

1. Dirty Harry - The rest pale in comparison. Don Siegel is the deciding factor.

The rest are about equal, entertaining but nothing special.

Krassno Granitski wrote:

1. Dirty Harry - The rest pale in comparison. Don Siegel is the deciding factor.

I  wouldn't say pale exactly. Magnum Force and Sudden Impact are very good, the latter had fantastic direction.

7289 wrote:

Some pretty intresting reviews, esp. Dan Same's

ajb007/biggrin ajb007/martini

Rick Roberts wrote:

I love Hal Halbrook in this film for some reason, I can't articulate why. I just think he's the perfect white collar film.

He's a wonderful actor, and he was indeed fantastic in Magnum Force, so I'm not surprised that you love him.

Rick Roberts wrote:

I think the story had the right idea but the whole film felt too sit-com-esque.

The Enforcer is the only Dirty Harry film which disappoints me, and to be perfectly honest, if it wasn't a Dirty Harry film and didn't have Eastwood, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. The plot is fine, but the film is just incredibly boring.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Krassno Granitski wrote:

I kinda agree with you. I do think that Sudden Impact, The Dead Force and Magnum Force are special; Sudden Impact being IMO an absolute masterpiece while I also think that The Dead Pool, and to a lesser extent, Magnum Force are great as well. However I certainly agree with you that Dirty Harry is by far the best, and not just because of Siegel. The entire film is perfect; the performances, the direction, the dialogue, the screenplay, the action scenes, the use of the city locations, the moral ambiguity. Perfect. ajb007/biggrin

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Dan Same wrote:
Krassno Granitski wrote:

I kinda agree with you. I do think that Sudden Impact, The Dead Force and Magnum Force are special; Sudden Impact being IMO an absolute masterpiece while I also think that The Dead Pool, and to a lesser extent, Magnum Force are great as well. However I certainly agree with you that Dirty Harry is by far the best, and not just because of Siegel. The entire film is perfect; the performances, the direction, the dialogue, the screenplay, the action scenes, the use of the city locations, the moral ambiguity. Perfect. ajb007/biggrin

The Scorpio Killer is the biggest factor for me to outrank the other films. He was just frickin' crazy.

true dat.

Rick Roberts wrote:

The Scorpio Killer is the biggest factor for me to outrank the other films. He was just frickin' crazy.

He was indeed awesome. ajb007/biggrin It's been said that Bond films are measured by their villains. I feel the same way about most action/cop films. Dirty Harry is a masterpiece, and its having such an extraordinary villain is certainly IMO a major reason for its brilliance. ajb007/biggrin

Magnum Force (It's Eastwood's favourite too)
Dirty Harry
Sudden Impact (I have a soft spot for this one)
The Enforcer/The Dead Pool

Dirty Harry, no question. (No other movie made me want to see the villain's brains splattered all over. Great, solid and believable performances throughout without having to snooze through the movie like Bullitt. It's the best one.)
Magnum Force (It may not be the best but it is my favourite.)
Sudden Impact (Should've been made after Dirty Harry and left Magnum Force for 1975. It's well made and extremely well shot, while the score lacks the jazziness of the previous two, it's a nice combination of late disco-early new wave.)
The Enforcer (It didn't feel necessary at all, sort of like Jaws 2. A summer blockbuster with a cop that happens to be named Callahan. We don't get any sort of character development and while there is the odd good scene, 4-point suppository and the female cop's qualification for inspector, namely, they don't do much at all with her. It certainly doesn't suck though. I'd take it over most generic action movies from the 2010s.)
The Dead Pool shouldn't of even happened. Eastwood's time was up as Harry and it plays like his View To a Kill, only with no redeeming factors whatsoever.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

LOVE Dirty Harry, he hates everyone equally  ajb007/biggrin

***One day at a time***

I always remember an interview with Clint on
Dirty Harry and his violence etc . When he said
That if you had a member of your family attacked
You'd want a cop like Dirty Harry on the case.  ajb007/wink

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

danjaq_0ff wrote:

LOVE Dirty Harry, he hates everyone equally  ajb007/biggrin

Sounds more like me  ajb007/lol

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

no, in your case, everybody hates you!  ajb007/amazed

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

https://s10.postimg.cc/4c4jza10l/aa_old_man_4.jpg

ajb007/lol ^

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Higgins wrote:

Then I’m doing my job correctly  ajb007/martini

The Joy Of 6

Sir Miles wrote:
Higgins wrote:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/301411_o.gif
I bet you're quite a plink-ster on who gets banned or not. Always think of that moment every time you exchange wits with  Jizzy, Higgy-bum.
http://i.makeagif.com/media/10-30-2015/3m4ohV.gif
Wonder how many close encounters he's had to well... ^^

(5 top recent posts from me. Or was it six? Do I feel lucky?)

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

Sir Miles wrote:
Higgins wrote:

ajb007/biggrin  your job has nothing to do with it ajb007/biggrin

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Dirty Punker wrote:

Jizzy, Higgy-bum.

ajb007/mad HIGGINS  ajb007/mad

Higgins wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
Higgins wrote:

ajb007/biggrin  your job has nothing to do with it ajb007/biggrin

Must be my ‘natural charm’ then  ajb007/biggrin

The Joy Of 6