Devil May Care

JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
Is the new Bond novel, movie material or is it garbage? I can't offer an opinion yet because I haven't read it that's why I'm asking one of you.
"I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    There's a DMC reviews thread in the Novels forum, and that should give you a good sense of how many of us here feel about the novel. To give you the short version, if the filmmakers were to touch this second-rate bit of writing, they should keep the title and throw everything else out.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • petrsvorenpetrsvoren Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    ***** five star
    "Come in 007"said M."It's good to see you back."

Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks
  • shaken66shaken66 california usaPosts: 155MI6 Agent
    It was a good beach read when I was on vacation a month ago, but one major plot device you could see coming very early on. I enjoyed it but it was a bit predictable and I wouldn't consider it being movie material.
    "How did he die?"
    "Your contact?" "Not well."
  • blofeld#1blofeld#1 Posts: 118MI6 Agent
    Getting mine soon . Hope it lives up to its hype.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Faulks was slumming it and it shows. Devil May Care is lazy half arsed, and a missed opportunity. I would have loved a burnt out Bond at the end of his carreer, but what we got was more akin to The Man From Uncle. A sad waste in my view.
  • 007brucewayne007brucewayne Posts: 28MI6 Agent
    shaken66 wrote:
    It was a good beach read when I was on vacation a month ago, but one major plot device you could see coming very early on. I enjoyed it but it was a bit predictable and I wouldn't consider it being movie material.

I agree. I was on vacation on a little island south of Rio and I figured it would be a great location to read a Bond novel. It was very predictable indeed and although entertaining it felt like the writer was just following some kind of "30 minute meal" recipe.

It's a fun read. I recommend it.
  • Rick RobertsRick Roberts Posts: 536MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    Faulks was slumming it and it shows. Devil May Care is lazy half arsed, and a missed opportunity. I would have loved a burnt out Bond at the end of his carreer, but what we got was more akin to The Man From Uncle. A sad waste in my view.

Agreed. I also hated the needless references to Fleming's novels. It's just like Die Another Day in that respect, a cut and paste book.
  • blofeld#1blofeld#1 Posts: 118MI6 Agent
    I recieved the book (finally). On chapter 3 so far . It's alright . I notice the different style from Fleming though.