Dr. No score

hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
The soundtrack only features a few things featured in the film and then has multiple versions of Underneath the Mango Tree, Jump Up and others. Where is all the Oriental flavored music from Crab Key and the end credit instrumental of Underneath the Mango Tree?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    The so-called "Original Soundtrack Album" for DN does not reflect the film's score in many ways.

Most of what's on the album doesn't appear in the film; most of what's in the film doesn't appear on the album. Specifically, the orchestral score (arranged by Burt Rhodes, conducted by Eric Rogers) is completely absent from the OST- some reconstructions by Nic Raine conducting the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra are available on Silva Screen albums and compilations such as "Bond Back In Action", "The James Bond Collection", etc. These are "Death Of The Tarantula", "Killing The Guard" and "Death Of Dr. No" arranged as a suite. They're very faithful and will serve the purpose- they have to, since the actual recordings are (officially) unavailable.

I've written at length about the DN score as part of a series of articles awaiting publication here, but it has in many ways always been the most frustrating of the Bond scores, rivalled perhaps only by TSWLM. Many of the tracks on the album were named by the record company, including the confusingly-titled "The James Bond Theme" which is NOT "James Bond Theme".

When Lukas Kendall was remastering the Bond scores in 2003 he did not have access to the master recordings, but did improve the sound of what was on the album.

Some of the music not on the album is available on the net through unofficial sources but of course that can't be discussed.

Edit- PS OK Cat, your turn...
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    The cat ? What happened to the cat ive not seen him on here for ages .
    True, he's not been here for a while. Years now!
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent
    I'm sure Barbel will correct me, but I don't have much to say about the DN OST. I have the album and it is majorly repetitive, but my memory of the full score from the movie is that it too was repetitive to the point of being borderline intrusive - you really remember the tunes because Monty Norman throws them indiscriminately at you. I do like the Jamaican tunes however, they give a local flavour not often present in Bond movies.
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    My favourite piece is when The Three Blind Mice break into Strangeways's secretary's house.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    chrisno1 wrote:
    I'm sure Barbel will correct me, but I don't have much to say about the DN OST. I have the album and it is majorly repetitive, but my memory of the full score from the movie is that it too was repetitive to the point of being borderline intrusive - you really remember the tunes because Monty Norman throws them indiscriminately at you. I do like the Jamaican tunes however, they give a local flavour not often present in Bond movies.

Nothing to correct! :)) You've nailed it.
  • lotuslotus englandPosts: 292MI6 Agent
    Would be good with all the score included....! The master tapes are somewhere no way are they lost