Re: AR7 Explorer rifle

ok, morning people.

firstly, i'd like to point out that i am not on a witch hunt for mick. mick is free to do as and what he chooses.

neither am i trying to be unhelpful, rude or bossy to anyone.

i'd like to think that although many of us haven't met, we kinda class eash other as friends, and honestly, i enjoy chatting to you guys about bond n stuff.

now what i've tried to do is simply point out the legal implications of producing replica guns within the UK.

i'm not trying to be the law, i don't know law, never studied it. all i've done is point out what i believe to be the relevant parts of the VCRA act that relate to what mick is up to.

i also understand that mick must have some kinda technical capability with what he does. however, having a product design qualification (like i have also) or knowing an engineer does not make you a qualified legal gunsmith.

mick, i wish you the best of luck with your golden gun, and look forward to seeing the finished article. please though, be careful with what you're doing.

to everyone else, please, don't take me as some renagade vigilanty who's trying to police the world.

the only message i'm trying to get across is this;

if you intend to make replica weapons, please, check with your local authorities to make sure what you're doing is safe and legal. the shooting world gets a bad enough press as it is, so please, don't add fuel to the flame. ajb007/crap

Kleynen, i personally think your work is quality, you certainly have a talent for making a quality prop, i look forward to seeing more of your work.

take care people,

MG ajb007/martini

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

nice one Kleynen. 9mm CAP! you are priceless my good man .. ajb007/lol  and yes .. i thought it was clear your replica was made from metal due to the welds etc .. I know Ed's replica is resin ..

I would be very happy with either in my collection .. for display next to the attache case and other gadgets ..

hope some major progress is made soon .. in terms of getting these out to collectors.. How much .. would each one be Ed. and Kleynen ?

please PM me of a price if you dont want to discuss it publicaly.

cheers.. and ED................. please please please.. if you can more info on your FRWL attache case booklet would love that in my collection .. and if you can email me with the particulars...

again great work everyone..

minigeff as I have said i realy do appreciate your concern.. but all i can say again is.. i and my grandfather are not making a gun .. or any type of weapon .. its a toy we are making .. simply a toy.. no more harmfull than an SD Replica golden gun which was just solid and stationary...

well just call it a day and i admit.. may have said some childsh things over the last few posts regarding our discussion.. and I know you were not being negative.. but when you have put so much time and effort into a model.. and got it to a certain degree... any one saying anything against it.. you tend to get a bit deffensive.. so i do appoligise... it is just human neature .. i supose... yes we are all friends here.. and its a close community .. so lets just leave it at that .. I do appologise if i have said anything childish or owt ..

back to the AR-7 replica ..

have a good weekend guys..

Last edited by scaramangasgoldengun (15th Aug 2009 11:26)

Don't worry minigeff, SGG is fully aware of the VCR act, I've rammed it home ad nauseum on these boards many times in the last couple of years ajb007/biggrin

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Bondtoys wrote:
Asp9mm wrote:

There's no need for a witch hunt and to deliberately go out of your way to belittle, there's no point

I can hear you! http://www.bondtoys.de/ebaybilder/smilie033.gif

...and yes yes I know...pot, kettle, black ajb007/shifty

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

thanks ASP9MM still loving my new addition with all the extras and holster, to my collection..........  many thanks again  ajb007/shifty

yea i am fully aware of the laws .. no worries guys..

I hope that someday, you young and quite intelligent Brits can rise to some level of authority and change these idiotic laws that have law-abiding citizens looking over their shoulders.

7289 wrote:

I hope that someday, you young and quite intelligent Brits can rise to some level of authority and change these idiotic laws that have law-abiding citizens looking over their shoulders.

would be nice wouldn't it?

not gonna happen though, a little thing called 'the goverment' gets in the way of common sense.

'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Asp9mm wrote:

...and yes yes I know...pot, kettle, black ajb007/shifty

ajb007/rolleyes quoting your new buddy here? ajb007/shifty

Rick Roberts in the closed "six months and QoS still s*cks" thread wrote:

Pot calling the kettle black

ajb007/tongue

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

scaramangasgoldengun wrote:

yea i am fully aware of the laws .. no worries guys..

Great!!! Glad to see we can all still get along.
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

Cheers All!
I have been reading thse posts, that went from the search for an AR7 to a discussion of gun laws in the UK.
I am so fascinated, entertained, and enlightened by all who post on this forum.
My project is to make a homage OHMSS Aston Martin DBS.
I will include the AR7 wooden version stock, which our own beloved and talented Quartermaster is making for us. I am fabricating the glovebox per the film, and not per the film seen cars.

I know this may not make sense, and I hope that SGG and Ed and Leo will join in. The gloveboxes in both DBS cars used in the film were never modified. The one box that exists, that you see in the film, was done as a studio shot, so when Lazenby leans over to open the glovebox, you see a standard box with his hand on it. Cut, go to studio, and that is the one you see with the lamp on the left side. the original DBS has a small, flexible map light on the right side.

We studied the film DVD very closely, and what we are building, is what we all THINK we see in the film, the large studio box. It is an enormous fabrication job, and we are nearing completion.
It will have the round lamp on the left side, just like in the film, and, as an in joke, I sourced a DB5 front indicator lamp, which looks very close, and is what the prop guys most likely used.
The scope will have the correct screws, and the silencer has been fabricated to look exactly like the film seen one.

Updates will be posted soon on OHMSSDBS.com

We are even fabricating the glovebox door with the same contours as the original, so that when it is closed, it will look absolutely original! I have seen several attempts by others to make this setup, and the standard DBS glovebox is so small, and oddly shaped, that the glovebox either does not close, or you cannot see anything at all, because of the height restrictions. When you finally see ours, it will be as correct to the film as we can make it, and it will be a TEAM AJB-007 effort!

Looking forward to your input and advice.

Hr. Gumbold.
Now, where did I leave those keys?

Gebruder Gumbold wrote:

I hope that SGG and Ed and Leo will join in

GG,
Sounds like a great project and I'm glad to contribute what I can.

I'm sure Mick will do a great replica of the AR-7 stock for you.

In regards to that, Donald Grant and I were just speaking the other day about looking into having a professional stockmaker duplicate the stock from the standard ABS version.

Well, here's my contribution. I hope it helps...

It’s a photo I took of the slide at EON showing the original glove box mockup used in the film.
As I previously stated, none of these components were used in either FRWL or Goldfinger. The original ABS version has been replaced with the rare wood variant, the suppressor is a completely different size and shape and the scope is the common 4X15 image moving Nitrogen filled scope made in Japan/

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7.jpg

The Stock replica I am making .. even has a replicated and sourced wood grain .. I am looking forward to it going into this .. car.. and will hopefully see the car in the flesh some day .. when it goes on tour..

and if Tom's Aston ever goes on dispay at a location in Scotland at any point in time .. I would be very happy to exhibit my New Golden Gun replica.. in a display case.. next to the car .. with a laptop showing a video of all the guns functions.. and technical Data..

I will post some uptaded pics to Tom shortly and he will upload them onto his fantastic website which i am already a fan of.. its got that 60's retro feel to it.. alongside the amazing DBS tribute.

keep up the outstanding work Tom.. I know the level of skill , work and dedication you have put into this car.. it will be a complete sucess story when finished and be loved by Bond fans the world over..

Hi Tom,
Just came from your website and was surprised to see you already had the photo I posted above. Well, here’s a better shot taken from the 007 Archive Book you can use to replace the existing one Mick sent you.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7-02.jpg

This screen capture shows the props as we saw it on film…

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7-03.jpg

…HOWEVER, if you look closely you’ll see that the silencer has been replaced!!!

Compare the close-up photo of the one in the archive photo to the close-up of the screen capture shown further below.

I suspect the original was “borrowed” needed to be replaced for this photo session.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7-04.jpg

I think the suppressor, made by (SF Restorer – The Stable) is VERY close to the original prop “silencer” we see on screen.

I would suggest that you request the knurling be moved further back the main body tube.
As It is too close to the edge unlike the prop.

I photoshopped the photo below to show how it would better match the screen version with the knurling moved further back.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7-05.jpg

By the way, should a corrected replica prop silencer be made available I know I, as well as others, would be interested in adding it to our collections (even if we don’t have an Aston Martin to put it into…LOL)

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

I just noticed that the threaded end is also too close to the end. I believe that it should also be extended to better match the film prop.
Here is a better before/after comparison.
Hope this helps, Tom
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/16.jpg

Does everyone know that the silencer featured in the Glove box
in the DBS in OHMSS.....

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7-03.jpg

IS also the same silencer featured on Lazenby's PPK in publicity
shots for OHMSS

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2005/10/14/1129300450_1012.jpg

and also on the same PPK which Connery held in the DAF publicity
shots.. notice the Silencer.. has flopped / bent downwards

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/aplus/007/600/diamonds_3_600.jpg

Mick,
I enlarged the gun portions of the photo as I could not see any telltale signs of there being any knurling on the front section of the body of the silencer so as to match the prop to the one in the glove box in OHMSS.

Do you have higher resolution photos you can share to confirm this?

By the way, I purposely altered the face in the photo as I believe we cannot post images from the films.
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/Comparison.jpg

i wish i saved the images.. of an eBay sale from years back .. when this actual gun with silencer.. came up for sale or is was a cast copy.. for sale alongside.. a few other Prop guns from OHMSS ..

sorry Ed.. I do not have any higher resolution pics.... I cannot see the knurling.. on the tip of the silencer.. on the gun silencer Lazenby is holding and Connery.. although it is clear in the glove box prop .. but the overall style and shape of silencer.. is the same .. but i am almost certain that its the silencer from the Golve box.. unless they made a few for use.. in OHMSS..

i know there was a deleted scene .. where Bond chases a SPECTRE spy from the college of arms to a near by train station .. where he kills him... maybe the silenced PPK was intended for use in this scene.. possible.. just a guess tho.

scaramangasgoldengun wrote:

I cannot see the knurling.. on the tip of the silencer.. on the gun silencer Lazenby is holding and Connery.. although it is clear in the glove box prop .... but i am almost certain that its the silencer from the Golve box...

Mick,
How can you admit to not seeing the knurling in the photos and clearly seeing it in the glove box and then state you're almost certain that its the same one in the box???  Is it me or does that not make sense?
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

Sorry Ed.. I am half sleeping here..

gona head for bed in a few moments.. been a long day ajb007/lol

ok what i am saying is .. I am sure the silenced PPK Lazenby and Connery are holding each are the same prop gun with the same silencer...

I was sure .. that it was the same one in the glove box but as you pointed out the knurling .. that means it is most likely a different silencer.. but i think over all its the same size and style and shape in all cases.. Lazenby , connery and Glovebox.. only the glove box one features the knurling effect on the tip.

OK...now I understand what you ment. There's a saying here in the States "Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion" LOL, trust me...I'm NOT saying that to be nasty.

Most TV/Movie "Silencers" have the same basic simple shape
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

I believe what you fellows see as knurling on the silencer is in fact a shadow from one of the scope's  adjustment nobs. The "knurling" is a crosshatched diamond pattern, and would have scattered and reflected more light.

Now the top picture in the post of EON's glove box set-up is only half there on my computer screen, so I can't see the "silencer" in that image. 

Reminds me of the discussion over the colors on Bond's nylon watchband..... ajb007/wink

so i could be right after all .. its the same silencer in the glove box.. as on the ppk in lazenby and connery's hands..

i think you may be right in regards to the shadow theory .. ajb007/bond its possible ..

but there is some other angles of the glove box silencer which shows it knurled..

I currently have Tom's replica silencer.. for his Aston .. as i was making the red velvet tray in which all the parts sit.. and i think his replica is pretty well done and will look very cool .. once blued.. and heated etc

NOPE...the light source is that circle of light you see at the left of the photo. There also appears to be a light souce coming from above. Also, there is no trailing shadow from the silencer back to the adjustment knob.

While you MAY be right...I stand by my original statement that the dark area is the knurling machined unto the body of the silencer.

This photo is too small and grainy, as a screen capture, as to capture as much detail as the individual diamond grids reflecting light.
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

Hey, Mick...I thought you were going to bed????  LOL
Ed
TheSpyBoys.com

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w29/TheSpyboys/BOND%20MISC/007-OHMSS_AR-7-03-1.jpg

Notice the Light source....
The Glove box light on the left casts high white areas on the stock.

Notice the high white highlight on the top of the ajustment knob (A) and the direction of the shadow following line (B) It's slanting down towards the lower right of the photo.

Notice that there is no shadow between the space (C) coming from the adjustment knob towards the silncer.

For that to happen a light source would have to be coming from the lower left of the photo pointing to the upper right of the photo.

Also, if you look closely at this blurry picture on the grassy knoll.....

Ed
TheSpyBoys.com