Topic: Katherine Bigelow Touted By Empire Mag For Bond 23

MI6 has posted a blog from Empire Magazine in which they make the case for Katherine Bigelow to direct Bond 23, making her the first female to direct a Bond film. I personally wouldn't have a problem with Bigelow directing a Bond film. Her body of work as an action director speaks for itself. "Near Dark"; "Blue Steel"; "Point Break"; and "The Hurt Locker" are all very well directed action films. "Near Dark" an unusal Horror/Action film is a real personal favorite of mine. The action scenes in "Point Break" were shot very well and IMO would translate well to a Bond film. Most importantly, while Bigelow's films are usually very violent and deal with some dark subject matter (revenge, vampires, war, obsession) they are typically "fun" albeit bumpy rides....something which works well with Bond.

Last edited by HowardB (12th Aug 2009 14:46)

Re: Katherine Bigelow Touted By Empire Mag For Bond 23

I love Bigelow. Although I'm not the fan of Near Dark that you are, Howard, and I haven't seen The Hurt Locker (it hasn't been released here and I haven't yet asked my father for an  copy), I loved both Point Break and Strange Days. I think she would be a great director for Bond, and best of all, she's capable of directing action scenes, unlike Forster, and doesn't really do pyschoanalysis, unlike Campbell. ajb007/biggrin

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

She shoots action scenes in a very straightforward, unambiguous, in your face style utilizing the wide 'scope frame very well with no fancy camera tricks or angles. I think given a good script she would have the ability to deliver a Bond film with alot more classic feel while maintaining the more realistic harder edge that DC brings to the table. Also, despite the critical acclaim "The Hurt Locker" has received it's not exactly been a box office smash and she would probably fit in with what EON is willing to pay a director along with her talent for being able to deliver a big bang on a more modest budget.

The Hurt Locker was an AMAZING film. I would be ecstatic if Bigelow was chosen to direct Bond 23.

HowardB wrote:

Also, despite the critical acclaim "The Hurt Locker" has received it's not exactly been a box office smash.

That's because it was in limited release for a while and it didn't have much advertising, most likely the fact that all the principle actors were not big name stars.

Last edited by Rick Roberts (12th Aug 2009 23:50)

Dan Same wrote:

and doesn't really do pyschoanalysis, unlike Campbell.

They you are going to hate The Hurt Locker.

I loved the Hurt Locker, and I think Bigelow could do a good job on Bond. Not too artsy, not campy, and she's really able to do  suspense/tension. If she was picked, I wouldn't complain.

"You're both, what's the expression? Damaged goods."

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

I'll make my own judgement once I see it, thanks. ajb007/wink

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

I am just saying is all. You seem to detest "psychoanalysis", and I am just warning you that that is the basis of The Hurt Locker. The film is about how the Iraq war is effecting the main protagonists.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:

I am just saying is all. You seem to detest "psychoanalysis", and I am just warning you that that is the basis of The Hurt Locker. The film is about how the Iraq war is effecting the main protagonists.

Well, with me, it's not a blanket oppostion to it, as I think it's appropiate in many films. I think it is highly appropiate for a war film, for example, unlike a Bond film. Additonally, with Bond, it wasn't just that that it was carried out, but the method. I doubt the method would be the same for The Hurt Locker.

Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Well, with me, it's not a blanket oppostion to it, as I think it's appropiate in many films. I think it is highly appropiate for a war film, for example, unlike a Bond film. Additonally, with Bond, it wasn't just that that it was carried out, but the method. I doubt the method would be the same for The Hurt Locker.

Well it's a less theatrical method since this is a more down to earth film.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:

Well it's a less theatrical method since this is a more down to earth film.

Yes, well, that is a major reason why I wouldn't have a problem with the psychoanalysis in this film but which I do in GE/CR/QOS.

Last edited by Dan Same (13th Aug 2009 17:25)

Any so called physcoanalysis in GE was half assed at best. Anyway, enjoy The Hurt Locker.

Rick Roberts wrote:

Any so called physcoanalysis in GE was half assed at best. Anyway, enjoy The Hurt Locker.

Thanks, I will. I just need to ask my father for a copy, although I probably shouldn't speak about that on this website. ajb007/shifty

Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:

Thanks, I will. I just need to ask my father for a copy, although I probably shouldn't speak about that on this website. ajb007/shifty

You mean he has to get it...um... *wink*, *wink*, *nudge*, *nudge* ? ajb007/lol

Rick Roberts wrote:

You mean he has to get it...um... *wink*, *wink*, *nudge*, *nudge* ? ajb007/lol

Yes, exactly. ajb007/lol

If this turns out to be true, I would be a very happy Bond fan. Like HowardB, I'm a fan of the horror movie Near Dark, and I also think that Point Break is an exciting, somewhat underrated action film.

After watching The Hurt Locker she would be a much needed lift for Bond after the QOS mini-debacle.  If you have not yet seen this movie beg, borrow, or steal until you do. ajb007/insane

I just saw a film called A Perfect Getaway with Milla Jovovich and Timothy Olyphant.  Great fun.  A really entertaining thriller well directed by David Twohy.  He would make a fine Bond director.  He also directed Pitch Black and seems like a very capable genre director.

John Drake wrote:

I just saw a film called A Perfect Getaway with Milla Jovovich and Timothy Olyphant.  Great fun.  A really entertaining thriller well directed by David Twohy.  He would make a fine Bond director.  He also directed Pitch Black and seems like a very capable genre director.

Twohy is very hit or miss, mostly miss. I would much prefer Bigelow.

John Drake wrote:

I loved Pitch Black, however it's the only Twohy-directed films I've seen. On that basis, I'm not sure. I do note however, that he co-wrote The Fugitive, which is great, although he also co-wrote Waterworld, which is less good. ajb007/wink

The director, whom I would love to direct a Bond film, is the great John McTiernan. He directed Die Hard and Predator, and he also directed The Thomas Crown Affair. I think he would be wonderful. ajb007/biggrin

John McTiernan is a good choice, but since he is currently in jail due to  being mixed up in a wire tapping case, were he hired a private detective to wire tap the telephones of  Hollywood producer Charles Roven. Also I understand he had a big falling out with MGM during the making of Rollerball, back in 2001/02.   Thought I have not seen any of Bigelow's work I would be okay with Eon letting her direct Bond 23. Not only would be the first woman to helm a Bond film, she would also be the first American director hired.

Bigelow tends to be either VERY hit (Point Break) or VERY miss (Strange Days) but the studios appear prepared to offer her ever bigger budgets and stars. That said, unless she's prepared to take a cut in pay, I don't see EON hiring her; their biggest sticking point with directors--even talented ones they're beholdin' to, like Campbell--always seems to be salary.

Dan Same wrote:
John Drake wrote:

I loved Pitch Black, however it's the only Twohy-directed films I've seen. On that basis, I'm not sure. I do note however, that he co-wrote The Fugitive, which is great, although he also co-wrote Waterworld, which is less good. ajb007/wink

The director, whom I would love to direct a Bond film, is the great John McTiernan. He directed Die Hard and Predator, and he also directed The Thomas Crown Affair. I think he would be wonderful. ajb007/biggrin

I hadn't realised John McTiernan directed the Thomas Crown Affair, but on that basis it seems very likely that he would do a great job as a Bond director.

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung

DaltonFan1 wrote:

I hadn't realised John McTiernan directed the Thomas Crown Affair, but on that basis it seems very likely that he would do a great job as a Bond director.

ajb007/cheers Yeh, I think he could do an amazing job as well. ajb007/biggrin

McTiernan would be perfect...but here again he seems just the sort of director who would either be too expensive or not pliable enough to have the producers overseeing every aspect of the production.  I've been rooting for McTiernan to direct Bond ever since Die Hard and Hunt for Red October.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM