Re: Tarrintino's spin on directing a 007 movie

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Oh, BTW, isn't in interesting how of all the people who responded to this topic, most disagree with you?

Most you replied here said nothing in defense of Tarantino. ajb007/rolleyes

ajb007/rolleyes You really should read people's posts more closely.

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

This may shock you, but not only do I not hold your opinion in particularly high esteem, but there are quite a few critics who have alot of credibility. Roger Ebert (for all his faults) is still one of the world's biggest authority on film.

Roger Ebert is a good film critic but I hardly call him an authority on film. I always value the artists opinions more.

Your point being?

Rick Roberts wrote:

That wasn't a line. What are you doing?

The closing line was the only thing which impressed me.

Rick Roberts wrote:

nyway your taste is dull.

According to you! ajb007/insane Well, I think you have horrible taste. Who cares anyway? Do you really think I sit here thinking, 'well, I should change my taste, Rick Roberts thinks it's dull'? ajb007/rolleyes If you think my taste is dull (and you don't really know what my taste is anyway), then thankyou, that's a compliment coming from you.

Rick Roberts wrote:

You really have the unmitigated gall to say the dialogue from any Tarantino film is better then In A Lonely Place.

Yes, I absolutely do. Why? Did I commit some kind of blasphemy. Give me a break; If I want to say that Tarantino is the greatest writer of all time, then I can and will say it. I think that Tarantino's dialogue is better than In A Lonely Place. Sue me.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Rick, I do NOT believe that the dialogue I quoted is crap, and except for the last line, I think it's much better than this dialogue.

Because you watch mind numbing garbage like Tarantino. Turn on TCM for at least one day and pick out a film to watch and refine your taste.

Nice guy. ajb007/rolleyes Let me make something clear; I don't respect your taste. As a matter of fact, I don't think you have any, and the day I start listening to you on what constitutes 'refined' taste and 'mind numbing garbage' is the day that every animal on earth starts flying!

Last edited by Dan Same (19th Aug 2009 18:21)

"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

I do not want this topic closed down and I have to leave pretty soon, but why don't we finish with an exercise. Here are five pieces of writing which IMO are examples of superb writing; if you don't like any, or few, of them, then clearly we will never agree on what constitutes good writing and maybe we should just call it a day. If you like, at least, most of them, then perhaps we can continue.

1)"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f***** up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*****' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" (Goodfellas)

2)"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" (Dirty Harry)

3)"And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid." (Casablanca)

4)Double Indemnity- Phyllis Mr. Neff, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening about eight-thirty. He'll be in then.
Walter Neff: Who?
Phyllis: My husband. You were anxious to talk to him weren't you?
Walter Neff: Yeah, I was, but I'm sort of getting over the idea, if you know what I mean.
Phyllis: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour.
Walter Neff: How fast was I going, officer?
Phyllis: I'd say around ninety.
Walter Neff: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.
Phyllis: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time.
Walter Neff: Suppose it doesn't take.
Phyllis: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles.
Walter Neff: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder.
Phyllis: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Walter Neff: That tears it.

5)"There was this kid I grew up with; he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know. We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition, we ran molasses into Canada... made a fortune, your father, too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Greene, and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man, a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque, or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!" (The Godfather Part II)

Dan Same wrote:

I do not want this topic closed down and I have to leave pretty soon, but why don't we finish with an exercise. Here are five pieces of writing which IMO are examples of superb writing; if you don't like any, or few, of them, then clearly we will never agree on what constitutes good writing and maybe we should just call it a day. If you like, at least, most of them, then perhaps we can continue.

1)"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f***** up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f*****' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" (Goodfellas)

2)"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" (Dirty Harry)

3)"And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. Now, now... Here's looking at you kid." (Casablanca)

4)Double Indemnity- Phyllis Mr. Neff, why don't you drop by tomorrow evening about eight-thirty. He'll be in then.
Walter Neff: Who?
Phyllis: My husband. You were anxious to talk to him weren't you?
Walter Neff: Yeah, I was, but I'm sort of getting over the idea, if you know what I mean.
Phyllis: There's a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. Forty-five miles an hour.
Walter Neff: How fast was I going, officer?
Phyllis: I'd say around ninety.
Walter Neff: Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket.
Phyllis: Suppose I let you off with a warning this time.
Walter Neff: Suppose it doesn't take.
Phyllis: Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles.
Walter Neff: Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder.
Phyllis: Suppose you try putting it on my husband's shoulder.
Walter Neff: That tears it.

5)"There was this kid I grew up with; he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know. We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition, we ran molasses into Canada... made a fortune, your father, too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Greene, and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man, a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque, or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!" (The Godfather Part II)

These pieces of dialogue are fine.

But I still find it absurd to call those lines from In a Lonely Place better then Tarantino, that is just pure ignorance. And don't start shouting "in your opinion" because it's a cop out, the comparison between dialogues is laughable. The Tarantino dialogue is shallow because it's only idiotic writer's speak and nothing distnictive to any character. Over reacting to everything is not acting but I am not saying everything has to be sedated, James Cagney and Jackie Gleason were some of the finest actors who ever lived.

Rick Roberts wrote:

But I still find it absurd to call those lines from In a Lonely Place better then Tarantino, that is just pure ignorance.

ajb007/lol I'm sorry, but you have no right to call anyone ignorant, especially considering some of the things you said. The dialogue from IALP wasn't creative, funny, romantic, inspiring or anything else really IMO, and the film itself is IMO far from a classic. I do like it, but I don't think it's anywhere near Ray's best work.

Rick Roberts wrote:

And don't start shouting "in your opinion" because it's a cop out

Well, I wouldn't have to do it all the time if you didn't seem to believe that you were spouting objective facts.

Rick Roberts wrote:

the comparison between dialogues is laughable.

I agree, Tarantino's dialogue is much better.

Rick Roberts wrote:

The Tarantino dialogue is shallow because it's only idiotic writer's speak and nothing distnictive to any character.

It's dinstinctive to Jules. What makes it fantastic dialogue (and I disagree that it's shallow) is that it's funny, especially considering the context, highly creative, is in many ways about the beauty of the English language and showcases the character of Jules perfectly. Also, to call it 'idiotic writer's speak', well, I would strongly disagree with that.

Rick Roberts wrote:

Over reacting to everything is not acting but I am not saying everything has to be sedated, James Cagney and Jackie Gleason were some of the finest actors who ever lived.

So, now you're insulting Samuel L. Jackson's performance? ajb007/lol Again, you are not in a position to call anyone ignorant.

My God, this is ridiculous.  Rick Roberts, once again you are stirring the pot by resorting to name-calling and twitting.  Why can't you simply disagree with a person without accusing that person of ignorance and bad taste?  I don't want to close this topic, but if this slugfest goes on much longer, it will be.  And don't be surprised if we're one member less.

Vox clamantis in deserto

Dan Same wrote:

I'm sorry, but you have no right to call anyone ignorant, especially considering some of the things you said. The dialogue from IALP wasn't creative, funny, romantic, inspiring or anything else really IMO, and the film itself is IMO far from a classic. I do like it, but I don't think it's anywhere near Ray's best work.

ajb007/lol Polar opposite of the opinion of the film critics you value so dearly.

So, now you're insulting Samuel L. Jackson's performance? ajb007/lol Again, you are not in a position to call anyone ignorant.

Samuel L. Jackson is not a great actor any means. He over-reacts, alot.

HB, this will be my last comment on this topic, I can assure you.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

I'm sorry, but you have no right to call anyone ignorant, especially considering some of the things you said. The dialogue from IALP wasn't creative, funny, romantic, inspiring or anything else really IMO, and the film itself is IMO far from a classic. I do like it, but I don't think it's anywhere near Ray's best work.

ajb007/lol Polar opposite of the opinion of the film critics you value so dearly.

Not quite. I do like the film, and I think that Bogart was great, however I do think it's overrated and I don't think it's among either Ray's or Bogart's best films. I stand by my above statement.

Rick, I also disagree that Jackson is not a great actor. Pulp Fiction, 187, Jungle Fever, Unbreakable, Jackie Brown all prove IMO that he is a magnificent actor and an all-time great.

Also, considering that neither of us want QT to direct a Bond film (for different reasons), why can't we leave it just that?

Dan Same wrote:

Not quite. I do like the film, and I think that Bogart was great, however I do think it's overrated and I don't think it's among either Ray's or Bogart's best films. I stand by my above statement.

What ? In A Lonely Place is rarely held as high as Bogey's other films like  Maltese Falcon or Casablanca. 

Rick, I also disagree that Jackson is not a great actor. Pulp Fiction, 187, Jungle Fever, Unbreakable, Jackie Brown all prove IMO that he is a magnificent actor and an all-time great.

If you love incessant over acting.

Rick Roberts wrote:

What ? In A Lonely Place is rarely held as high as Bogey's other films like  Maltese Falcon or Casablanca.

No, but it has been hailed as an absolute classic.   

Rick Roberts wrote:

If you love incessant over acting.

Well, obviously I don't think that Jackson does that. Are we going to have an argument now about Jackson's acting skills or the classic status of IALP? Why can't we just accept that we have different views on Jackson, IALP, QT and other related things, and leave it at that?!

Dan Same wrote:

Also, considering that neither of us want QT to direct a Bond film (for different reasons), why can't we leave it just that?

Sure I can agree to him not directing a Bond film.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Sure I can agree to him not directing a Bond film.

Finally! ajb007/lol

Possibly, and by a slim margin, it dosen't deserve that status but it's not far off.   

Well, obviously I don't think that Jackson does that. Are we going to have an argument now about Jackson's acting skills or the classic status of IALP? Why can't we just accept that we have different views on Jackson, IALP, QT and other related things, and leave it at that?!

Fine but it does drive me crazy what you have said like many other people's opinions about art that have angered me. Maybe I am curmudgeon, I'll admit it but I observe old films and look at new films and I think they are all just imitations of the past.

Rick Roberts wrote:

Possibly, and by a slim margin, it dosen't deserve that status but it's not far off.

Disagree.

Rick Roberts wrote:

Fine but it does drive me crazy what you have said like many other people's opinions about art that have angered me.

On this forum, there'll be alot of opinions that anger you. When I first joined, I took everything personal. I've since learned that there's no point in getting angry simply because people insult one's favourite artist/film. Life's far too short.

Rick Roberts wrote:

Maybe I am curmudgeon, I'll admit it but I observe old films and look at new films and I think they are all just imitations of the past.

In some ways I agree with that (three of my four favourite films are 70's films), but there' always a few films which come around which astonish me.

Dan Same wrote:

Disagree.

Fine, jesus christ. Did you even have to post this if you were just going to say one word ? C'mon that's Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie annoying.

On this forum, there'll be alot of opinions that anger you. When I first joined, I took everything personal. I've since learned that there's no point in getting angry simply because people insult one's favourite artist/film. Life's far too short.

This is something I feel passionate about, very much so. So I can't just sit idly by.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Disagree.

Fine, jesus christ. Did you even have to post this if you were just going to say one word ? C'mon that's Freddie Uncle Charlie Katie annoying.

So, now you're swearing.  Nice. ajb007/rolleyes Yes, I said one word, as I don't want to have another endless discussion on the classic status of IALP. What else is there to say?

Rick Roberts wrote:

This is something I feel passionate about, very much so. So I can't just sit idly by.

Then you're not going to be around for long then. If you think that you were showing 'passion', then your stay will be very short.

Dan Same wrote:

Don't make a statement and act all shocked if I mention I disagree.

I am not shocked. All I am saying is why are replying with just one word ? That is annoying. Just don't say anything at all.

Then you're not going to be around for long then. If you think that you were showing 'passion', then your stay will be very short.

So now your questioning what passion is ? What are you the athority on what is genuine emotion ?

You whine about wanting to end the argument but absolutely insist on saying something stupid and aggravating .

Last edited by Rick Roberts (19th Aug 2009 19:17)

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Don't make a statement and act all shocked if I mention I disagree.

I am not shocked. All I am saying is why are replying with just one word ? That is annoying.

I actually edited my response. 

Rick Roberts wrote:

So now your questioning what passion is ? What you the athority on what is genuine emotion ?

No, I'm questioning the way you showed it. If you continue to show passion in that way, your stay here will probably be quite brief.

Will there be an end to this?

Dan Same wrote:

That dosen't mean that response is still not annoying.

Dan Same wrote:

]No, I'm questioning the way you showed it. If you continue to show passion in that way, your stay here will probably be quite brief.

I don't need any lectures from some random kid on the internet.

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Oh, lord. You are like a fly who won't go away. WHEN IS THIS DISCUSSION GOING TO END?

Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

]No, I'm questioning the way you showed it. If you continue to show passion in that way, your stay here will probably be quite brief.

Whatever (although I'm hardly a kid.) Are we nearing a finishing point?

Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Oh, lord. You are like a fly who won't go away. WHEN IS THIS DISCUSSION GOING TO END?

Rick Roberts wrote:

You whine about wanting to end the argument but absolutely insist on saying something stupid and aggravating .

Dan Same wrote:
Rick Roberts wrote:
Dan Same wrote:

Whatever (although I'm hardly a kid.) Are we nearing a finishing point?

Let me correct that, I don't need a lecture from an immature young adult.

Rick Roberts wrote:

According to you. But, fine, if it will end this discussion, I won't respond with another 'stupid and aggrevating' comment.

Last edited by Dan Same (19th Aug 2009 19:25)