Topic: What other author(s) can compare?

I just finished reading all of the James Bond novels.  Now I feel that I've lost a best friend. Can anybody suggest another author I might like?

Re: What other author(s) can compare?

I asked myself the same question forty years ago... ajb007/crap  I tried Len Deighton (wonderful, but not the same), Donald Hamilton (Matt Helm on paper does not equal Dean Martin), John Le Carre (dreadful), and so on. IMHO James Mayo's Charles Hood was a reasonably passable pastiche- try one of his ("Hammerhead" would be my suggestion) and see what you think.

You could also try one of John Gardner's other characters - the Boysie Oakes series, great fun.

Barbel wrote:

I asked myself the same question forty years ago... ajb007/crap  I tried Len Deighton (wonderful, but not the same), Donald Hamilton (Matt Helm on paper does not equal Dean Martin), John Le Carre (dreadful), and so on. IMHO James Mayo's Charles Hood was a reasonably passable pastiche- try one of his ("Hammerhead" would be my suggestion) and see what you think.

Hood is good.
"Let Sleeping Girls Lie" is my fav.
Unfortunately these are out of print, but some 2nd hand booksllers have them

Barbel wrote:

Donald Hamilton (Matt Helm on paper does not equal Dean Martin)

Quite right...the books are one helluva lot better.  I highly recommend Death of a Citizen, by Donald Hamilton, and then reading the rest of the Matt Helms in order.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Nothing compares to Fleming's aim "somewhere between the solar plexus and the upper thigh"...
Deighton-the "Harry Palmer" novels if you can get through them.
LeCarre-The Spy Who Came in From the Cold
Forsyth-Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File
Ludlum-the Bourne series (much better than the films)
I can mainly point you in the direction of his literary inspiration, Raymond Chandler. Also James M. Cain and Dashiell Hammett.

It's a bit more pulpy and less spy-based, but Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series has been a very entertaining read.

"You're both, what's the expression? Damaged goods."

I have read some of the Len Deighton novels which others have mentioned and would recommend them. They are quite different from the Bond novels, so they might not be the answer if you are looking for something exactly like the Bonds. The IPCRESS File is very good - I love the film version as well. Funeral in Berlin was also fairly good in my opinion. I haven't yet read Horse Under Water and have only read about half of Billion Dollar Brain - which I was enjoying, not sure why I stopped. . . ajb007/insane

max stich novel - All or Nothing is coming soon bond like spy called julian scott and his missions

Hi paulwood, I've deleted your other post re this novel- we don't allow multiple posts.

tomthumb wrote:

I just finished reading all of the James Bond novels.  Now I feel that I've lost a best friend. Can anybody suggest another author I might like?

Yes.

Peter O'Donnell. I highly recommend reading all of his Modesty Blaise novels.

James Leasor's Dr Jason Love spy series. He was the first author asked to be Fleming's successor as a Bond continuation author.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

philpog wrote:

Peter O'Donnell. I highly recommend reading all of his Modesty Blaise novels.

I agree, of all the books mentioned, the Modesty Blaise series comes closest. The other examples that I've read are much drier than Fleming, probably more realistic about how spying is really done, but I like the exotic escapist swashbuckling thriller aspect, and Modesty Blaise is very good for this, and funny too

also: John Buchan The Thirty Nine Steps
decades earlier than Fleming, but I think where a lot of the whole spy-novel-as-romantic-adventure thing came from
Buchan wrote four sequels, so this too is a series

After reading the Fleming books, try them in audio!  For me, they've been like a totally different experience.  The Fleming books were my entryway into spy thrillers and the like and I've really liked the authors mentioned already, but I would include Robert Ludlum, whose writings were the pulp in his time just as Fleming's was; the early Ludlum's are very entertaining and I would avoid the latter ones, esp. those written in his name by other authors (he died in 2001).

EDIT:  Didn't realize how old this thread was, lol!

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

The very reason so many of us love Bond is why so many other readers gravitate towards other books. I think Fleming is sort of in a category of his own.

I eventually want to read Le Carre's books but I had to put down his first novel after reading the prologue. I had watched The Night Manager and expected something like that but Smedley is the anti-bond.

Maybe look into Sherlock Holmes. Doyle approached Holmes much the same way Fleming approached Bond, inserting plenty of contemporary history and politics into more focused stories.

tomthumb wrote:

The next best thing to reading Fleming is reading the authors who influenced Fleming: Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler, Sax Rohmer, E. Phillips Oppenheim, Dennis Wheatley, Somerset Maugham, and Eric Ambler.

An author of the late 1940's through the 1950's might be the one.Hank Janson was his name,Check the websites.

tomthumb wrote:

You read all 14 or all 47?

The Quiller novels by Adam Hall.

British agent working for a department called The Bureau which doesn't officially exist.  Similar to Bond in that he is sent on the most dangerous missions to different parts of the world.  Different to Bond in that Quiller doesn't carry a gun but is an expert in unarmed combat.  Much more of a loner than Bond in that he doesn't have a friend like Felix or Mathis.

Don't have to read them in order but is probably better if you do.  The first one is called The Quiller Memorandum.

Yes, they're very good. and I recommend them too. (The first is technically called "The Berlin Memorandum", btw, it's the film that uses Quiller's name in the title.)

Not really espionage  but I have read plenty of
Stephen king and Clive Cussler, and have enjoyed
The Nick Carter books. Although these have been
Written by many writers.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Charles McCarry's Paul Christopher novels the best espionage I've read

Anthony

I really enjoyed the Paul Christopher novels.  Very well written. Sort of an American Le Carre.

I think he's better than LeCarre. His latest the mulberry bush in the pile to read.im reading Gerald Seymour 's Jericho's war at the moment like all his work not glamorous but good. My favorite spy writer at the moment is Daniel Silva.

Anthony