Autograph Reference Section

Due to the amount of new collectors that appear to be getting ripped off by fakers who are selling them worthless tat, I have put together a quick reference part that will hopefully help them see what is real and what isn't.

This guide could prove very useful for new or inexperienced collectors so that they can be prevented from being 'stung' by the rising number of fakers out there.

So, I have included the Bond actors' section, I will soon post up a Bond villains and Bond girls section, demonstrating again what a real and fake look like.

Here are a few examples of what a genuine and what a fake autograph of each of the Bond actors look like:

Hope this helps!

Pierce Brosnan
Fake
brosnan.jpg
Genuine
piercebrosnan11.jpg

Roger Moore
Fake
mooref.jpg
Genuine
rogermoore5.jpg

Timothy Dalton
Fake
daltonj.jpg
Genuine
timothydalton7.jpg

Daniel Craig
Fake
craigk.jpg
Genuine
danielcraig8.jpg

Sean Connery
Fake
connery.jpg
Genuine
seanconnery9.jpg

George Lazenby
Fake
lazenby.jpg
Genuine
georgelazenby2.jpg

Comments

• Disco VolanteDisco Volante Surrey, EnglandPosts: 543MI6 Agent
    I think this is a good idea Jamie - no doubt arising from the RM autograph issue recently?

What may be an idea, and to save you loads of your own time by having to post the baddies, girls, bit-parts etc, is that a thread is opened for AJBers who are 'unsure or uncertain' about the authenticity of an autograph (perhaps before purchasing or maybe already in their collection) and post a picture so fellow collectors may comment?

Whilst my exeperience in the field of Bond autographs is fairly extensive, it doesn't compare to you, or indeed some of the others on this forum. If I am ever in the position of doubting, I would normally come here (well, you and Mark first!).

What do people think?
  • jaashjaash Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    I think this is a great idea!!! I am still relatively new to Bond autographs (I have been collecting autographs for less than a year), and I know the advice from people on these forums has been a great help to me so far. While I think I'm starting to get a better feel for some of the more well known actors from the series, there are still plenty of things to watch out for....so I think a thread like this would be a great way for everyone to share knowledge with each other and help out the newer collectors.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,382Chief of Staff
    I think this is a great idea - so much so I've made it a 'sticky !!
    YNWA 97
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    I think this is a good idea Jamie - no doubt arising from the RM autograph issue recently?

What may be an idea, and to save you loads of your own time by having to post the baddies, girls, bit-parts etc, is that a thread is opened for AJBers who are 'unsure or uncertain' about the authenticity of an autograph (perhaps before purchasing or maybe already in their collection) and post a picture so fellow collectors may comment?

Whilst my exeperience in the field of Bond autographs is fairly extensive, it doesn't compare to you, or indeed some of the others on this forum. If I am ever in the position of doubting, I would normally come here (well, you and Mark first!). What do people think?

Cheers Andy - your feedback there is much appreciated. :) -{

I'll look into doing a thread as you suggested where people can query an autographs authenticity and can reply accordingly to them. :007)
    jaash wrote:
    I think this is a great idea!!! I am still relatively new to Bond autographs (I have been collecting autographs for less than a year), and I know the advice from people on these forums has been a great help to me so far. While I think I'm starting to get a better feel for some of the more well known actors from the series, there are still plenty of things to watch out for....so I think a thread like this would be a great way for everyone to share knowledge with each other and help out the newer collectors.

My thoughts exactly matey! I have over 11 years experience in James Bond autographs so am always happy to lend a hand when required.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I think this is a great idea - so much so I've made it a 'sticky !!

You've beaten me to it Sir Miles, I was going to ask for it to be made a 'sticky' since it seems an important enough topic! :p
    ke02eww wrote:
    nice one tilly....

Cheers
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Yes, a great idea indeed!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • ttdriverttdriver Posts: 202MI6 Agent
    Love the idea of having a place to post questionable autographs!! I have seen a few items that I'd like to add to my collection, but have a difficult time buying on the word of the seller...It would be great to be able to have the experts here verify authenticity!!
    ttdriver wrote:
    Love the idea of having a place to post questionable autographs!! I have seen a few items that I'd like to add to my collection, but have a difficult time buying on the word of the seller...It would be great to be able to have the experts here verify authenticity!!

By all means, post away any queries you have regarding the authenticity of an autograph!!
  • DOUBLE-00DOUBLE-00 ESSEX, ENGLANDPosts: 165MI6 Agent
    Just what the doctor ordered. This is long overdue, and I will also be happy to pass my thoughts onto potential sales. It may worry some people, but in my opinion, the ONLY people currently regulaly selling genuine bond signatures is BONDSTARS. I do not trust any of the other big sellers anymore, just my opinion, sorry.
  • Dr No07Dr No07 North AmericaPosts: 55MI6 Agent
    DOUBLE-00 wrote:
    Just what the doctor ordered. This is long overdue, and I will also be happy to pass my thoughts onto potential sales. It may worry some people, but in my opinion, the ONLY people currently regulaly selling genuine bond signatures is BONDSTARS. I do not trust any of the other big sellers anymore, just my opinion, sorry.
    In TOTAL agreement with you about BONDSTARS, Double-00
    Dr No07 wrote:
    In TOTAL agreement with you about BONDSTARS, Double-00

Me too, seconded!
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    while i love this thread and can't believe no one tgt of it before (esp me ;% ) might be an idea for our experts to huddle on the qn of groundrules.... Obviously opinions are just that but anything else might excite the legal profession....
    Ok, so here is a poster for all of you autograph experts to have at...claimed to be authentic, but I bow to your expertise before I will take anyone elses word!
    7E3Jr.jpg

Thanks!!!
    TTDriver, that poster you have asked us to verify is 100% FAKE!!

Notice how the scammer has used virtually the same type of pen (sharpie) most probably and also the same colour of ink has been used on most of the siggies. This is another common thing that they tend to do.
    Also, that poster is widely available and easy to obtain, so it's no wonder that we see hundreds of them daily. There is only one of that poster that I've seen autographed that is actually genuine and is/was owned by 'JamesBondMM' on here. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/James-Bond-007-original-multi-signed-autographed-poster_W0QQitemZ120527866940QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DVD_Film_TV_Autographs_CV?hash=item1c10054c3c

!BduWY3!CGk~$(KGrHqIOKiwEq4bSsd8jBK6KZ))-dQ~~_12.JPG

Is he saying where the signatures were ontained from?

I really can't see Connery signing TTM.

Moore will sign (sometimes TTM) but that's what Bondstars are there for, to sell autographs on his behalf with some proceeds of sales being given to Unicef.

Lazenby you only really have a chance of getting at an autograph show as he is difficult to get TTM.

Brosnan is 'iffy' sometimes, he will sign occasionally via film sets and IP.

Craig has got more difficult to obtain now he is in the height of his career being Bond and all that so is literally swamped with letters.

Dalton, why oh why he would even go near a Bond item to sign now I do not know, the man is a no-no on Bond material now and is even difficult to get on the most basic of items such as index cards and autograph books, so he won't and hasn't signed any Bond material for over 20 years as he has cottoned on to the amount of people that sell his autographs on Ebay.

Might not be what you wanted to hear but you did ask after all!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,382Chief of Staff
    Dalton, why oh why he would even go near a Bond item to sign now I do not know, the man is a no-no on Bond material now and is even difficult to get on the most basic of items such as index cards and autograph books, so he won't and hasn't signed any Bond material for over 20 years as he has cottoned on to the amount of people that sell his autographs on Ebay.

I think that's such a shame - I can just about understand his reasons, but I think thats a real shame for Bond fans that would like his autograph for their personal collection.
    YNWA 97
    A word of advice from a collector for 45 years, with signed pieces from over 1,100 different Bond cast and crew---
    If you CAN'T...
    [list=*]
    [*]1 get an in-person signature at a show or event
    2 contact the star yourself through an agency or management (and then just minor stars)
    3 trade with a fellow collector you can really trust
    4[/*]
    [/list] bid or purchase from an officially licensed business representing contracted artists, like BONDSTARS
    then don't bother or waste your money.

No manner how carefully you scrutinize or compare yours to an authentic original, there are technological ways of duplicating signatures down to a molecule. I have actually thrown photos and signatures away rather than believe I had a bogus item or refused to scam someone else with a trade. Or am I just old and paranoid?
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I think that's such a shame - I can just about understand his reasons, but I think thats a real shame for Bond fans that would like his autograph for their personal collection.

I agree with you Sir Miles regarding his reason for not signing Bond stuff anymore and it is also a shame for the genuine Bond fans who like you said, would like his autograph for their collection and are unable to (without an expense) have one.
    Dr No07 wrote:
    Bid or purchase from an officially licensed business representing contracted artists, like BONDSTARS
    then don't bother or waste your money.

Best advice you can get - back this up fully!
    Thanks all for your input...I figured as much-from all of the information I have gleaned through you all.
    While they are claimed "originals" the guy has been rather vague on where they came from, etc. so I was iffy.
    I'm not a huge autograph collector for the very reasons you have all stated-very difficult to verify unless seen with your own eyes.
    Thanks again!!
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent

!BduWY3!CGk~$(KGrHqIOKiwEq4bSsd8jBK6KZ))-dQ~~_12.JPG

I remember one of these posters on eBay with Harold Sakata's autograph on it, and found that it's one real pain in the backside trying to get eBay to pull it.
    ttdriver wrote:
    While they are claimed "originals" the guy has been rather vague on where they came from, etc. so I was iffy.

I wonder why he was a bit vague - clearly struggling to conjure up a plausible excuse to cover up his lies of where he got this 'wonderful' signed poster. 8-) :s :v
    I remember one of these posters on eBay with Harold Sakata's autograph on it, and found that it's one real pain in the backside trying to get eBay to pull it.

It just shows you how these brainless idiots will sign even a long deceased actors signature and pass it off as an original - even in the most modern of pens (commonly sharpie) which would not have been around possibly at the time Sakata was in GF or even before his death.

The good old saying comes to mind here, If it looks to good to be true, then it probably is!
    Okay......here are three that I'll offer up for opinions from you guys. So go ahead....dish out the bad news if you think they're fakes, I can take it!! Especially since I may still be able to get refunds for a couple of them if I can prove they are fakes....

First up, a Goldfinger cast I just got a few days ago....with Connery, Honor Blackman, and Martin Benson.
    Goldfinger.jpg

Next, a Connery index card
    SeanConnery.jpg

And finally, Dalton and Virginia Hey
    TimothyDalton_VirginiaHey.jpg

What do you guys think? If the general consensus is that they're fakes, I'm going to see what I can do about a refund. And even if that's not possible, it's a good lesson learned and I know to avoid certain sellers in the future. And I will re-evaluate my Bond autograph collection -- I'm certain that many are real because they are either from Bondstars.com, TTM successes, or autos I received in person....but I'll be highly skeptical about several that I received from other sellers.
    They all look 100% real deal to me there. Love that Goldfinger multisign by Connery, Blackman and Benson - bet that'll be worth a few bob?!!

Were these all obtained from Bond Collectibles?
    They all look 100% real deal to me there. Love that Goldfinger multisign by Connery, Blackman and Benson - bet that'll be worth a few bob?!!

Were these all obtained from Bond Collectibles?

Thanks for the opinion - that makes me feel MUCH better!! :)

Yes, all three of those are from Bond Collectibles. I know it's tough to ever be 100% certain of an item that is purchased, no matter what the reputation of the seller is...but those looked pretty good to my admittedly untrained eye.

It really is a shame that there are so many fakes out there, so the opinions of everyone on this forum are much appreciated by people like me who are trying to learn while still building a nice collection!
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    Hi Guys, I'd also like some advice, and I'd like to give my opinion....
    I have been collecting Autographs for about 10 years now, in all regions of Entertainment, primarily Formula 1 and Bond, and its definately getting harder to find Older Autographs that are authentic. But what can we do as Collectors without the Millions to get us Rare Autographs through Dealers :)

One of the most Faked in Formula 1 was Michael Schumacher at the peak of his career, and I've seen some rubbish over the years, but I've also picked up stuff that was authentic for pennys due to the Listing on Ebay being done by an amateur...Bad Photo, False description and so on.

I myself don't mind taking a risk on Ebay sometimes if the price is right and I can be 90% sure that its real, if it turns out to be Fake then I haven't spent a mint on it and can take the loss.

Even the Biggest Dealers in the World get slated with Fakes, so you can really only be 1000% sure if you get it in Person.

Anyway, I'd like an opinion on these sigs...... (also praying that it'll be positive)

Robert Shaw
    b_Gpi.jpg

Harald Sakata
    c2ayi.jpg

Timothy Dalton
    c2s0i.jpg

Thanks for any info and what a great thread:D
    Robert Shaw
    b_Gpi.jpg

Harald Sakata
    c2ayi.jpg

Timothy Dalton
    c2s0i.jpg

Some great items there!

I particularly like the Sakata, but it looks kind of 'fresh' to me. By that I mean, it's like it's only been signed yesterday. For an autograph such as his, I would expect to see at least a few discoloured parts on the card which would indicate it is ageing as he's been dead for over 25years I believe! But to be honest, it all looks good, so I do think there is a 75% chance that the Sakata is genuine.

Might need a second opinion of some of the other guys though.

The Shaw all looks good to me, so yes, as far as I'm concerned it's the real deal.

The Dalton looks genuine also, only that it looks like he's signed it in a bit of a rush, certainly at the 'D' in Dalton.
    MODELMAKER007

I had the privilege of talking to both Harold Sakata and Lotte Lenya by telephone back in 1968-1970. I've scanned a letter & photo from Harold Sakata below. Everything I ever got from them--about 10 pieces--was signed in BLUE pen; use of black pen back then was very unusual. (Even my letter from Albert Broccoli was signed in blue pen) I don't think Sakata started adding his hat logo to his signature until the 1970s.

I'll let you--or others--decide if yours is authentic. Best of luck with your collection.
    w08u0.jpg

chTO0.jpg
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    Thanks Guys, for the Feedback. Much appreciated.

DrNo07, Thanks for the scans of your Sakata Items, I've never really had the chance to compare the Signature as good as now and I'm pleasantly surprised that there are many similarities in the signature that make it even easier for me to believe it could be real.

Just out of interest, a few years ago I spoke to one of the Curators at Frasers Autographs in London, about an Autograph I had for sale and it was a 70s signature signed in Silver Pen, the expert there told me that it could be real as Silver pens were around back then and this doesn't necessarily mean its a fake. It turned out to be one :( but thats beside the point :)) but you are right DrNo07 , Blue was definately used more in the past!
    Here is one that really outrages me!! The first color autograph below is SUPPOSEDLY signed by Dolores Keator, who played Strangways' secretary Mary in DR. NO. I am certain it is 100% fake...yet it shows up almost weekly on eBay, minimum bid $1.00...and sometimes goes for very high prices.

The b/w scan from my collection is 100% genunine . I maintained a friendship with Dolores Keator (Ziff), often talked and corresponded with her in Miami from December 2004 up almost until her death at age 81 in November 2005. She even donated $600 scholarhship money to the public school where I was teaching (signed check as further proof) Notice that the signatures don't even remotely bear similarity. The point is that it's often the signatures of minor stars that can be easily forged because they're far less known or requested.

wjiK9.jpg

uMCXS.jpg
  • Disco VolanteDisco Volante Surrey, EnglandPosts: 543MI6 Agent
    Alex at Bondstars did a private signing with her a few years ago and suddenly a rare autograph became easily obtainable.However, I fully agree with your comment about the lesser known stars being easy to forge.