Bond23 Officially Suspended

SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for EON Productions have officially announced that "Bond23" has now been suspended due to the uncertainty of MGM.
Full article; http://mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/bond_23_report_aprb10c.php3?t=&s=&id=02539

Bad news - just hope they can continue production asap and that we're not looking at another LTK-GE length gap
as any great delay could jeapodise Daniel Craig returning to role.
Nobody Writes Threads Better.

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    heard about this earlier, bad news indeed, hopefully this hiatus doesnt turn out like the 1989-1995 one and gets resolved quickly becuase right now it seems like these forums will be dead for a bit.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    This is just a rotten situation---keeping the best product off the shelves while the studio atrophies :( These MGM clowns clearly have a future in government.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    You have got to be kidding me. I honestly think we'll be seeing at least a 5 year gap between movies now. This throws everything off....DC might sign onto other films, and Sam Mendes can't wait forever. If those 2 get tied up on other projects....my 5 year gap may seem optomistic.
  • Another LoeffelholzAnother Loeffelholz "a different position."Posts: 77MI6 Agent
    edited April 2010
    No !! Man, that is a drag. :# Seriously, not moving forward with a huge, financially successful and popular franchise because of money problems doesn't seem very wise.... ?:) Eon must just be really worried about the possible impending collapse of The MGM Machine. MGM has got to get it together or......? 8-)
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Think you guys are reading this wrong: EON is pushing for the MGM deal to get done quicker, that's all. They don't have to release a statement like this, reads to me like applying pressure to the MGM situation to resolve it faster. Doubt any of the creditors wants to see a half-billion $$$ cash cow delayed. As soon as MGM's "financial uncertainties" are sorted out, 23 will hit the bricks running.

This is way better than no news IMO, very optimistic about this push - let's see who pushes back! :007)
    Hope you're right, blue...but I think the fact is that MGM looks too much like damaged goods from a debt perspective...if you're right, they need to be prepared to accept a LOT less than whatever they're asking...it's like trying to sell a house that's riddled with 2nd, 3rd, and 4th mortgages, and is riddled with termites, but has a nice picture (Bond) on the wall...maybe they need to part with the picture.
    I'm hoping this will up those low-ball offers to something that works. BTW, there's this from somewhere in Googleland:
    Daniel Craig, who was set to play 007 for the third time, said: "I have every confidence in Barbara and Michael's decision and look forward to production resuming as quickly as possible."

The actor is on location in Toronto, Canada, filming Dream House, which co-stars Rachel Weisz.
    Like I said, I sure hope you're right. History is not on our side as far as this legal/financial s**t goes. It will be tragically unfortunate if Eon remains on a sinking ship, with insufficient lifeboats, for an indeterminate period of time. Let's hope the Carpathia responds to the SOS in time.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    I hope that MGM starts rethinking their money issues, or if they cannot fix the problem sell the rights to another studio who knows what their doing when it comes to putting money in the bank. In the mean time I hope the last nine films are going to be released on Blu Ray.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    It appears to me that the only thing that can get Bond 23 back on track is if MGM has some sort of 'fire sale' and sells whatever rights they may have to Bond (or Pink Panther or whatever) to interested parties separately. If MGM can't interest buyers for the studio as a whole, they'll have to roll over and get what they can. The problem with that is that it's probably a more complicated and lengthy procedure than just selling the studio in one lump.
    Hence EON's press release today - "Get on with it already!"
    edited April 2010
    The problem is that Eon has no real say in the matter. MGM is unlikely to part with Bond since it's a valuable aspect of the studio (that would be like selling the Louvre and saying you can have everything but the Mona Lisa!). But on the other hand, MGM can't force anyone to purchase, either.

I guess that I don't take Eon's press release for anything other than what it is: a statement informing interested parties about the delay. How long can Eon employees and contractors mill around without being told the scoop?
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I'm glad there are some members that are putting a positive spin on this "indefinite" delay, because gone are the days of Cubby and Harry releasing a new Bond film every two years...for 27 years!

Look, I am an absolute primitive about certain things in the Bond world and that is 3/4 year gaps between movies is unacceptable. No ifs and or buts about it. And to Babs and Michael I offer the wise words of Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross:"Your excuses are your own."

MGM has been going thru financial difficulties since Louis B. Mayer was ousted in 1956. Just ask Robert O'Brien, Kirk Kerkovian, James Aubrey, Steven Bach, Frank Yablans and every other executive who has had to deal with the lion's problems in the last 50 years.

In other words, the movie biz has always been a precarious industry.

The signal that is coming from Eon is that of indecision and cold feet.

The theory that movies are tougher top make now than in, say, 1967 is just that: a theory.

EON needs to become more like Bond: leaner and meaner.

As I said in my post "Is Eon Lazy": "indefinitely" is a word not allowed in the Bond universe.

"Q, have I ever let you down?"
    "Frequently."
  • little nellylittle nelly London, EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    This sounds to me like "business as usual". Any excuse to delay the next film by a year, two years, three years, whatever. If MGM can't get their act together, let someone else who can make a Bond film! The periods between Bond films are erratic and it really pisses me off, as I'm sure it does a lot of other people. Get on with it!
    N O I N F O R M A T I O N I S U S E L E S S
    darenhat wrote:
    The problem is that Eon has no real say in the matter. MGM is unlikely to part with Bond since it's a valuable aspect of the studio (that would be like selling the Louvre and saying you can have everything but the Mona Lisa!). But on the other hand, MGM can't force anyone to purchase, either.

I guess that I don't take Eon's press release for anything other than what it is: a statement informing interested parties about the delay. How long can Eon employees and contractors mill around without being told the scoop?
    ???

You don't do that with a press release, you simply call them and tell them, maybe even ask them nicely not to squawk to any gossip hounds. Seems it's a very public message to people they cannot otherwise reach easily: the MGM creditors and suitors. About the only asset MGM has right now is Bond, anyone looking to recoup anything from their long-gone-south investment is banking on Bond. No Bond, no money. EON can't force anyone to sign anything, but they can apply pressure to all interested parties to get on with it. Another Craig Bond is minimum half a billion in the bank, and who needs that money most? Not EON, they're likely the most solvent film company in history, pretty sure they've got more than well-earned laurels resting in their coffers.

Offers have been made, this is a timely little threat, er, missive.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for EON Productions have officially announced that "Bond23" has now been suspended due to the uncertainty of MGM.
    Full article; http://mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/bond_23_report_aprb10c.php3?t=&s=&id=02539

Bad news - just hope they can continue production asap and that we're not looking at another LTK-GE length gap
    as any great delay could jeapodise Daniel Craig returning to role.

Daniel has apparently issued a statement to say that he is still on board and confident re 23. Agree that a long delay would put that in doubt. Bond however is a money machine, comparatively cheap to make, big audince, long shelf life...known proposition. I think it may be spun off seperatley if at all possible
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,178MI6 Agent
    MGM could always sell whatever interest they have in Eon to another distributor. The problem is of course, that woulr seriously devalue any interest for a potential buyer of MGM.
    To be fair, after the disappointment (for me) of QOS, I'm not so bothered. It might give them time to reassess where they are going with the franchise.
    I still would have hoped for a 50year celebratory Bond in 2012, and I am rather disappointed it isn't going to happen.
    Maybe the BFI will reward those of us in London again with a full and complete remastered showing, some of them at the IMAX. Frankly that'd be much more fun.
    Of course, I'm disappointed, but not seriously so, it reminds me of the mess UA was in around 1980/81 and MGM again in 1990. Basically, that's business for you.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    Let's hope this results in a top-notch script.
    blueman wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

???

You don't do that with a press release, you simply call them and tell them, maybe even ask them nicely not to squawk to any gossip hounds. Seems it's a very public message to people they cannot otherwise reach easily: the MGM creditors and suitors.

You absolutely do do that with a press release. A press release is an 'official' statement for, just as it says, the 'press'. Eon can share information with stakeholders, but once that information is in the stakeholder's hands, they have no control over it. In order to prevent misinformation to the press from an unofficial stakeholder, you have to make an official statement to preempt false presumptions on behalf of the others who received the information. Otherwise everything would spin out of control - MGM is bankrupt > Eon is bankprupt > Bond is dead > Daniel Craig is dead, etc. You see how it can snowball without an official release? Eon is doing the right thing by making this announcement, IMO.

And it doesn't appear that this was some 'major' announcement forwarded out to the big news wires either, but rather a quiet release intended for the people directly involved.

Anyway, if MGM can get their act together quickly, it doesn't really matter.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    Unfortunate news, but not surprising. I wonder how long this whole MGM sale thing could play out before they just cease to exist. I wonder if the other interested parties are just waiting MGM out so they can buy up the companies holdings piecemeal at firesale rates. My guess is that Sony would be first in line for the Bond rights. I wonder if there is anything in EON's agreement with MGM that if MGM is unable to partner with them due to financial reasons that EON would have right of first refusal to buy out MGM for the Bond rights and then resell the rights to another partner as MGM's financial problems are making it impossible for EON to move forward with Bond 23 thus restricting EON from doing business. Maybe someone is a lawyer out there would have a better handle on something like this.
    bigzilcho wrote:

In other words, the movie biz has always been a precarious industry.

The signal that is coming from Eon is that of indecision and cold feet.

They probably don't have to delay Bond 23, but probably don't want to go down a road that entangles Bond in some legal issues later. The last thing they want is some third party rearing their ugly head and claiming their entitled to some of Eon's profits because of the MGM deal they made after Bond 23 was made but before it was distributed. It cost them a pretty penny in early 90's, both in lost time and legal fees. It's all about the money!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    I dunno, can't they farm Bond out to another studio for one gig? It would seem the sensible thing to do, rather than wait for how long and Daniel Craig gets older and the plot has to be rewritten to take into account the changing world order.

Where's Kevin McClory when you need him? :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    This is bad news indeed.

Darenhat is right though, it is all about the money. As fans we might think we matter, that anything we say, do or think matters. But it's all about the big bucks, and they come from all the other people who go see the movies.

Die hard fans like ourselves are only a very small percentage in the profits, so they don't care if we have to wait.

I was afraid of Dalton fever a while ago (Only two movies, and then nothing for a long time), but everybody here assured me that it would not be the case now.

Sometimes I hate it when it looks like I might be right after all... :#
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I always had a feeling Bond 23 would be DC last now Iam beginning to think QOS might be.
    darenhat wrote:
    blueman wrote:
    darenhat wrote:

???

You don't do that with a press release, you simply call them and tell them, maybe even ask them nicely not to squawk to any gossip hounds. Seems it's a very public message to people they cannot otherwise reach easily: the MGM creditors and suitors.

You absolutely do do that with a press release. A press release is an 'official' statement for, just as it says, the 'press'. Eon can share information with stakeholders, but once that information is in the stakeholder's hands, they have no control over it. In order to prevent misinformation to the press from an unofficial stakeholder, you have to make an official statement to preempt false presumptions on behalf of the others who received the information. Otherwise everything would spin out of control - MGM is bankrupt > Eon is bankprupt > Bond is dead > Daniel Craig is dead, etc. You see how it can snowball without an official release? Eon is doing the right thing by making this announcement, IMO.

And it doesn't appear that this was some 'major' announcement forwarded out to the big news wires either, but rather a quiet release intended for the people directly involved.

??

Of course it was a big ol' presser, when has EON ever use that outlet? It's a freaking neon sign. And I don't think your premise is correct, as EON is a separate entity and not at risk of financial ruin at all. They are also a "family business" and pride themselves on that, can't imagine they'd tell their people anything important in a press release, how cold is that?

All the Hollywood insiders today are talking about how it's a power move to force MGM's situation to a speedier conclusion. Not one whiff of EON at risk of anything, that's just daff. EON is playing poker: we're not going into production and triggering MGM involvement, until MGM's "financial uncertainties" are effectively sorted out. The alternative is to move forward with 23 bankrolled by a bankrupt studio, which I'm sure MGM's creditors would love as it holds out some hope to them of reaping some small part of 23's massive profits and recouping some of their investment losses. Pie in the sky.

Peter Jackson just said the same thing about The Hobbit, we're stopped until MGM gets sorted out. Nobody wants to tie their production to a dead horse, and MGM/it's creditors have zero leverage. This is airing dirty laundry in public (well, it's not been that private the last couple months), and you only do that for an effect. Both EON and Jackson are pushing things forward.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,473MI6 Agent
    Heard about this earlier.....not very good news at all.

Not much more to say to be honest!
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,279MI6 Agent
    edited April 2010
    I've had the impression for a long time now that EON wants nothing more than to divest itself of its association with MGM. They seemed to enjoy their collaboration with Sony and didn't seem to be in any hurry to make another Bond movie when the rights reverted back to MGM after the premiere of QoS.

I remember Michael Wilson commenting publicly on how he and Barbara Broccoli wanted to take a break from Bond and how they were creatively spent and wanted to pursue other creative avenues for a while, even going so far as to pitch a couple of other properties. It was an odd attitude to take seeing as they'd rebooted the entire series to free themselves creatively.

Not surprisingly, those plans went nowhere and when Bond 23 was finally announced work proceeded at a leisurely pace and to date there has been minimal movement (most of the real "news" has been nothing but fan speculation).

Take it all together and one gets the feeling this hiatus was being planned for a while and that they've been just trying to wait MGM out. To my way of thinking, this is EON just pursuing something it's wanted for some time now and using MGM's financial woes as added leverage to help make it happen sooner rather than later. I wouldn't hold my breath for another Bond movie until and unless MGM is bought out by another studio or it divests itself of its interests in the Bond property. As to when that might happen...according to Reuters, Warner Bros. formally offered MGM $1.5 billion for the studio but were turned down as MGM would not entertain any offers below $2 billion. It remains to be seen how long they can hold out and appease their creditors with those kinds of expectations.
    I think you hit the nail on the head, Tony...Eon is not doing anything simply because they have no confidence in MGM, and are waiting for the studio to gasp its last breath. However such a case does not bode well for us fans, since no Bond production makes MGM a less valuable property in the near future, and I would suspect a fire sale approach would take much longer to iron out the legal aspects between Eon, MGM, and a third entity.
  • JimmyBond0129JimmyBond0129 United States Posts: 263MI6 Agent
    Why don't they just release Bond 23 through another studio? Do they have a liftetime contract with MGM or something? Because if they don't then why can't they release Bond 23 through Warner Bros or something? 8-)
    "I admire your courage, Miss?..." "Trench, Sylvia Trench."

"I admire your luck, Mister?..." "Bond, James Bond."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017