Topic: What cocktail are you drinking?

I've only just recently got into cocktails after listening to the Being James Bond podcasts. Not being a big drinker, especially of spirits, it took me some time and getting used to, especially trying to neck the Vesper, but 18 months on I'm up for trying anything and doing it without convulsing or gagging after taking a sip. I like nothing beter than going into a hotel or bar and checking out their cocktail list and watching the barrister concoct my chosen poison. Last night, I discovered the Baron Samedi.

59 ml White Rum
44 ml Southern Comfort
2 dash(es) Peychaud Bitters
59 ml Sugar Syrup
Soda Water
½ Lemon

Shake all ingredients except soda water with ice. Strain and pour into a large old-fashioned glass half filled with crushed ice Fill with soda water. Garnish with a lemon slice.

Try it, you'll love it.
ajb007/martini

Of course you are

Re: What cocktail are you drinking?

Sounds like a distant relative to the Sazerac! Sounds interesting!

PS: Dan, if you are looking for a gentler cocktail to work you into the world of spirits, the Mojito is a good one to try.

"Resurrection."

Mojito every time! I just love them in the summer. I'm not a huge drinker, but there's nothing like a Mojito with a BBQ. Either that or a classic Pimms with lemonade, mint, cucumber and lemons and loads of ice. A bit poncy, but pretty refreshing on a hot day.
There's probably a name for this, but I'm about to have a shot of vodka, a shot of white rum, a lot of crushed ice with slices of fresh limes and some lemon sugar syrup (left over from making a fruit salad, not on hand for cocktails!). It's not complicated, but pretty damn good.

Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com

Head of Section wrote:

Sounds like a distant relative to the Sazerac! Sounds interesting!

PS: Dan, if you are looking for a gentler cocktail to work you into the world of spirits, the Mojito is a good one to try.

Funny you should say that. The very first cocktail I made was the Mojito. Infact, I was sold after listening to your podcast on cocktails and then I followed your every move on the podcast movie you did on cocktails and you are right, it is my favourite, but is a summer drink. To drink it in the winter would be like peeing in the pool, it's just wrong.

P.S. Glad to see you are dong the podcasts again, they are the highlight of my week. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by 007DAN (17th Feb 2011 08:32)

Of course you are

In the style of the Dude, I always enjoy a White Russian.

“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung

DaltonFan1..................good choice.  Nice drink.  A little too drinkable.

Black Russian and White Russian.  Do cocktails merit capitals?

Never got the Gin and Tonic thing.  Wifey, on the odd occasion she does drink goes for a Gin and Tonic, but it has to be "Gordon's" gin.  Apparantly it's more peppery.  One of my fellow sea captains agreed, so there must be something in it.

But I'm a white Russian slob.  Unfortunately I'm none too sophisticated when I drink it, just chuck it down my throat as fast as the barman can knock them out.............sad?.........yep!

To start a nights drinking I often go for a boring old salty dog.  It makes you thirsty.

Guys, you have to try this. I've been looking to see if it has a name but so far I don't think it does. 

Take a whole lime, cut in to quarters. Throw them all into a highball glass and mash out all the juice. Fill the glass with crushed ice and then add a double measure of Malibu white rum. Top up with soda water, stir and enjoy.

As refreshing and as drinkable as the Mojito.

Of course you are

Mixology...big hobby of mine.

Last cocktail I made was called a Tequilatini:

2.5 shots reposado tequila
1 shot dry vermouth
0.5 shot simple syrup
3 dashes angostura bitters

Shake with ice, serve neat with a lime peel.

You need to like tequila and strong drinks for this one to work, but if you do, it's fabulous.

Hilly...you old devil!

I am 18 now, but I am working on jetting off to Vegas for my 21st and making a Vesper my first drink, whether it is too hefty or not! My best friend has the same birthday so we were gonna have a weekend there.

My friend enjoy's White Russians since he tried one once at a family wedding.

So for now, I hold an empty glass. Unless I go to London and study abroad. Then I am legal.

amaretto and dr. pepper

Coke (full fat) and red wine 1:1

Of course you are

007DAN wrote:

That sounds a bit gross to me...

I have had both separately but I am not sure I would try that combined...

Mr Beech wrote:
007DAN wrote:

That sounds a bit gross to me...

I have had both separately but I am not sure I would try that combined...

That's what everyone says but trust me, try it. It is a very drinkable drink, too drinkable infact.

Of course you are

A good old fashioned vodka martini... shaken, not stirred!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m158/yourbookcoach/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG2357_zpscdd1422c.jpg

She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

Snakebite  ajb007/wink

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Is that a cocktail?  ajb007/crap

Cider and beer isn't it....it's been a fair few years..... ajb007/insane

She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

Cocktail if your already halfway to Drunkville (I'm currently sober ajb007/lol  )

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Martinis (vodka and regular) Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, Sidecars, Rusty Nails, Rob Roys, Juleps, Americanos, Negronis, Bloody Marys.... well any of the classic cocktails really.

I like the old cocktail culture, having a party with good music, some hors d'oeuvres and mixing cocktails. For those who don't go for cocktails I'll have champagne.   Oh and that really is classic cocktails, nothing with spark-sticks, tiny parasols or strange looking glasses. And I absolutely hate any of these pseudo- Martinis: apple-, chocolade-, honey-, pear- or melontini are few of the examples that come to mind.

Sir Hillary Bray: That tequilatini sounds un-orthodox, but intriguing; it does contain vermouth, and so may be classed as a martini. Are you sure it requires that simple syrup, it is usually used to counter the more sour notes of citrus. Also maybe it just should be named simply Tequila Martini, just as Vodka Martini is a Martini with vodka instead of gin. Also, if you like Tequila, you really should try a Tequila Manhattan! http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-m … n-15037732

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

Not a cocktail drinker. I do love beer though.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

Probably shameful as a Bond fan, but I have never had a vodka martini  ajb007/martini

Trust No One

ajb007/lol  I'm a shameful Bond fan as I neither Smoke or Drink.  ajb007/biggrin  So I've never had
a Vodka Martini either.  ajb007/martini

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

You don't drink don't smoke, what do you do  ajb007/biggrin  no TP I don't want to know, just having an adam ant moment  ajb007/lol

Trust No One

ajb007/lol   " I take plesaure from great beauty " , which means I look
In the mirror a lot !   ajb007/tongue

“I remember the last thing my Nan said to me before she died.
‘What are you doing here with that hammer?’”..... Lee Mack.

I take pleasure in hamburgers  ajb007/biggrin

Trust No One

danjaq_0ff wrote:

I take pleasure in hamburgers  ajb007/biggrin

I hope you let them cool beforehand, just to avoid nasty burns...

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech