226

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

ppw3o6r wrote:

An original Japanese STB or two panel poster for 1972's rerelease of Dr.No. I've not been a fan of this artwork previously, probably because I have it on good authority that the printed music is the James Bond theme accredited to Monty Norman but I don't care what anybody says, without John Barry's "in yer face" orchestration we wouldn't have the theme we all know and love today! I think this hit home where in recent movies the Bond orchestration has been accredited to David Arnold with no acknowledgement of Mr Barry....Fooking Ridiculous!

https://s33.postimg.cc/lmsn15xej/fullsizeoutput_537.jpg

Barry did more than orchestrate the theme, and the Bond Theme's court case just about proved that Barry wrote at least some of the theme, but his writing contributions were not deemed essential to the Bond theme. If Barry were ever credited for the theme, there would be some lawsuits going on, and nobody wants to deal with those again. I think Barry and Norman should share credit for the theme.

227

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

An interesting pair of original Japanese posters for the 1974 rerelease of Thunderball which is simply stunning and the 1976 rerelease of You Only Live Twice although some dealers would have you believe they are the 1960s first release posters. An interesting way to tell is any pre-YOLT poster designs which feature the MGC of Japan replica Walther PPK Kurz pistol and silencer are rerelease posters. Unfortunately this had to come as with other international Bond posters, copies are being passed off as originals especially on eBay although as with 1960s British Quads there is a way to tell. If you lay the poster art side down the design/print should bleed through to the back of the paper because of the quality or lack of, paper stock originally utilised. The copies are also roughly 4mm in height shorter than the originals. I found this out the hard way!  ajb007/martini

https://s33.postimg.cc/utfcm35jv/fullsizeoutput_565.jpg

228

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

ajb007/martini  Nice Donk and thank you for the informative insight  ajb007/martini
When you say they are 4mm shorter than the originals, does that mean some of the original image is also missing top and bottom?

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

229

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Gorgeous artwork - thanks for the info and sharing the images  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

230

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

ajb007/martini  Nice Donk and thank you for the informative insight  ajb007/martini
When you say they are 4mm shorter than the originals, does that mean some of the original image is also missing top and bottom?

Interestingly no. The full image is there but the spacing is off. You'd only notice if you placed it next to an original and lined it all up. This was the case with an eBay example of You Only Live Twice. Additionally the image is not as sharp but again you'd only notice if you had an original to compare it to or you were a print expert!  ajb007/martini

It is also useful to note that as with 1960s quads, Japanese B2 posters were sent out to movie theatres bi-folded.

This is how the back of genuine examples should appear:

https://s33.postimg.cc/uysanfmjf/fullsizeoutput_546.jpg  https://s33.postimg.cc/q04s8yg6j/fullsizeoutput_547.jpg

Here is the copy lined up with two originals of roughly the same time period:

https://s33.postimg.cc/wlhi8k3p7/fullsizeoutput_568.jpg

Last edited by ppw3o6r (26th Jul 2018 15:10)

231

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

No wonder there is bleed through on the originals, that paper can't be more than 70-80gsm!!

Is it my imagination or is the red on the YOLT copy darker than the original?

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

232

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

No wonder there is bleed through on the originals, that paper can't be more than 70-80gsm!!

Is it my imagination or is the red on the YOLT copy darker than the original?

The paper on the copy is glossy much like the paper on fake quads and yes the colours are slightly off almost like a colour photocopy. It feels wrong in the hand too & you know I'm going there so smell too!  ajb007/biggrin

233

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

ppw3o6r wrote:
ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

No wonder there is bleed through on the originals, that paper can't be more than 70-80gsm!!

Is it my imagination or is the red on the YOLT copy darker than the original?

The paper on the copy is glossy much like the paper on fake quads and yes the colours are slightly off almost like a colour photocopy. It feels wrong in the hand too & you know I'm going there so smell too!  ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

234

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:
ppw3o6r wrote:
ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

No wonder there is bleed through on the originals, that paper can't be more than 70-80gsm!!

Is it my imagination or is the red on the YOLT copy darker than the original?

The paper on the copy is glossy much like the paper on fake quads and yes the colours are slightly off almost like a colour photocopy. It feels wrong in the hand too & you know I'm going there so smell too!  ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Trust No One

235

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Here is a minter from 1969 which this Donkey has being trying to secure for a considerable period of time. An original Japanese STB or two panel poster for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. A very fitting find in the movie's 50th Anniversary year. A unique striking design because it is the only poster to feature camera man John Jordan hanging 18ft below a helicopter in a special stability harness which he designed himself resulting in some incredible fast panning photography which made you feel it was you the audience who was flying along at break neck speed. Even more incredible is the fact that just two years earlier Mr Jordan had had a leg amputated after a helicopter blade accident during filming of the aerial sequences for 1967's classic You Only Live Twice. Regrettably Mr Jordan was killed in 1970 while filming an aerial sequence for Catch-22  ajb007/martini

https://i.postimg.cc/8FX96v3k/thumbnail-OHMSS.jpg

236

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Luverlee, Lord Donkey, Looks really clean  ajb007/martini

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

237

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Want, want, want, want, want  ajb007/amazed

ajb007/heart the artwork  ajb007/embarrassed

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

238

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Very nice.  Try not to get Donkey-spray over it.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

239

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Neat find. Looks like Bond got that foursome after all.

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.

240

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

This is becoming quite a rare poster. In fact personally I've only ever seen two examples for sale. An original Japanese STB or two panel for 1973's Live Ans Let Die. The original art by Robert McGinnis was and indeed is simply stunning however the art for the Japanese market has been slightly tweaked. As with the STB poster for Thunderball the main actor's features have been darkened & tweaked to appear slightly oriental. I hadn't noticed this until I put the Thunderball STB up on the wall next to the Thunderball "Look Up!" US Subway poster. There are also other subtle little tweaks such as the speedboat not actually making contact with the Police cruiser!  ajb007/martini

https://i.postimg.cc/mPYHSY5d/fullsizeoutput-6f2.jpg

Last edited by ppw3o6r (17th Mar 2019 09:43)

241

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Very nice Donk  ajb007/cheers

Trust No One

242

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Another great addition  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

243

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

An original 1963 release STB or Japanese 2 panel for From Russia With Love. A number of years ago I had the choice of either purchasing the original STB or the 1972 rerelease STB which I went for because of the stunning artwork. A case of heart over head. A decision I've always regretted because the one I passed on was immaculate & the one or two originals which have surfaced haven't been!
I always felt with Japanese Bond posters, they, that is the Japanese always pushed the boat out with incredible unique designs where with FRWL they pretty much just took the standard B2 1 panel and stuck a green bit on the bottom!

With this slightly uninspired (yet bloody expensive) designed poster the Donkey finally has a complete set of original Bond STB posters ranging from Dr.No through to Live And Let Die  ajb007/martini

https://i.postimg.cc/qhCXV7zM/fullsizeoutput-6f4.jpg  https://i.postimg.cc/d7QZjV8S/fullsizeoutput-6f7.jpg
1963 original STB and B2 posters

244

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Love the one on the left Donk, the other is nice, but the one on the left is favourite  ajb007/cheers

Trust No One

245

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

I love the Japanese artwork posters - those are glorious  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

246

Re: The Most Extraordinary Gentleman Spy in all Fiction-Agent 007 Posters

Covered at length in another post which some AJBers may not have seen? however an incredibly rare 1967 Japanese STB or two panel poster for Sean Connery's 5th outing as 007 in You Only Live Twice featuring a full body image of Sir Sean painted by Robert McGinnis with the signature Walther LP53 air pistol being replaced by an MGC suppressed replica Walther PPK and Bond's head being cropped from the one featured on all the other Japanese design YOLT posters. Not much is known about this particular poster. It has been suggested that it was created for the premiere screening in Japan and has only been featured in the excellent License To Thrill Bond poster book by Thomas Nixdorf and his excellent Bond poster exhibition guide where it is featured in an A4 size full page colour image, in fact this nutty Donkey has been trying to track this poster down since the LTT book in question was first published  ajb007/martini

https://i.postimg.cc/jCyZS3Wb/fullsizeoutput-79d.jpg