Re: Photos of Bond from the set...

Mr Martini wrote:
superado wrote:

Growing up in my part of the US, abnormally short pant legs were called out with references to "floods" or "flooding."  Then the Eighties came around and it was sometimes considered fashionable, e.g., Michael Jackson, the Thompson Twins, etc.  On a related note, like news anchors who wear anything comfortable below the waistline, I vaguely remember seeing a photo of Connery wearing shorts with a fully suited torso.

P.S. I enjoy occasionally learning UK jargon on this board, like the dog's danglies, lol.

Funny you should mention that Supes. There's a Sports reporter around here who is known for wearing shorts behind the reporting desk. If you tune in for the first time, you wouldn't know it. But if you've watched him for years, he's actually stood up and made jokes about how the viewing audience can't see what's he's wearing below the waistline.

I think I saw that segment myself...Gary Radnich?

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

superado wrote:
Mr Martini wrote:
superado wrote:

Growing up in my part of the US, abnormally short pant legs were called out with references to "floods" or "flooding."  Then the Eighties came around and it was sometimes considered fashionable, e.g., Michael Jackson, the Thompson Twins, etc.  On a related note, like news anchors who wear anything comfortable below the waistline, I vaguely remember seeing a photo of Connery wearing shorts with a fully suited torso.

P.S. I enjoy occasionally learning UK jargon on this board, like the dog's danglies, lol.

Funny you should mention that Supes. There's a Sports reporter around here who is known for wearing shorts behind the reporting desk. If you tune in for the first time, you wouldn't know it. But if you've watched him for years, he's actually stood up and made jokes about how the viewing audience can't see what's he's wearing below the waistline.

I think I saw that segment myself...Gary Radnich?

Yes sir!!!! it is Gary Radnich.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope

There's a nice clip of Michael Buerk reading the BBC news on Children in Need night a few years back; he had to finish the news and then go to do the traditional newsreaders' dance for charity but because there was so little time he had to do the news in his outfit for the dance. On top all was fine: suit, tie, all of that- the bottom half under the desk (as revealed when he stood up after the news was finished) he was wearing fishnets and suspenders. Nice.

I enjoyed this conjectures on the photos.  Here's one I'm throwing out there that may explain Craig's appearance as well - he may have been kidnapped and been held for a short time (hence the scruffy beard), and he may have pinched the clothes from the place he was held or from one of his captors, which would explain them not fitting.  Also, if his escape had been a frantic one, it would explain why he is minus socks.  He then contacts HQ and from there we could have three storylines - either he tells them M is about to be attacked en route on the street (kidnapping? assasination attempt?) and he jumps into the chase to intercept her, or they pick him up on the street after his escape where he is going to rendevous with M, or perhaps M is actually with the security detail that picks him up on the way to some crisis that has to do with his initial kidnapping.

But in filmland stolen clothes always fit remember the tux in qos.

superdaddy wrote:

LOL!! yeah, i chuckled at that scene a tad too loud when i first saw it.

any other examples? there have to be some out there!

Halcon wrote:
superdaddy wrote:

LOL!! yeah, i chuckled at that scene a tad too loud when i first saw it.

any other examples? there have to be some out there!

The jacket fit when he stole it in Port Au Prince

Forgot about that one,well done.

The clown suit in 'Octopussy'.

At least with the tux he had several to choose from in the locker room I think. The jacket had more luck involved. Both guys could've been his stunt doubles though.

The first time seeing QOS, I though the guy opening the locker door to look for his missing suit was DC.  Until it cut to the next scene.

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

The beard is so he can use tons of grooming product placement products for some clean up shots in his hotel upon returning to London. And the bad clothes are so he can walk down a street and let us see a bunch of store brand names for more product placement so that he can fix his wardrobe. That must be it.

Don't forget the big payoff after the shopping montage where he returns to the Baby Gap;

"You work on commission right, big mistake, Huge!"

The film is comming out in November in the UK right?

Maybe the beard is beacuse Bond is doing his bit for Movember?

Vandrell wrote:

The film is comming out in November in the UK right?

Wrong, October...

http://media.open2.net/flags/unitedkingdom.png

CmdrAtticus wrote:

I enjoyed this conjectures on the photos.  Here's one I'm throwing out there that may explain Craig's appearance as well - he may have been kidnapped and been held for a short time (hence the scruffy beard), and he may have pinched the clothes from the place he was held or from one of his captors, which would explain them not fitting.  Also, if his escape had been a frantic one, it would explain why he is minus socks.  He then contacts HQ and from there we could have three storylines - either he tells them M is about to be attacked en route on the street (kidnapping? assasination attempt?) and he jumps into the chase to intercept her, or they pick him up on the street after his escape where he is going to rendevous with M, or perhaps M is actually with the security detail that picks him up on the way to some crisis that has to do with his initial kidnapping.

I can't help feeling that the major points are being missed. Yes the beard can be explained, but does it have to be grey? A number of comments have been along the lines of ' a shave and a suit and he'll be fine '...the hair is more difficult, even more severe and less flattering than in CR and now with an older DC. The hair cannot be changed overnight so as a minimum Bond will have to spend a good portion of the film looking like a thug, and an ageing one at that. Not what I was hoping for, but I hope that I'm wrong.

Latest pics from the film... Courtesy of jamesbondbrazil and The establishingshot

http://www.theestablishingshot.com/2011 … l-set.html

I see your point, Zaphod and I sympathize with your feelings.  As much as many members may hate the idea, we have to live from now on with the fact that Craig's films are a reboot of the whole series.  This is the Bond of today, with no references to his past exploits, nor as we now know, no strict adherence to his stereotyped appearance (six feet or more with black hair and the comma over the eyebrow and the scar - though they never gave any of the other actors that famous three inch scar on the cheek anyway) , since it is supposed to be the beginning of his career.  I know the producers thought that if this series was to survive for decades to come, they would have to do this - especially if they wanted to get away from the sci-fi plots and bad jokes.   l hate to admit it to myself, but though they're trying to get back to Fleming's idea of the original Bond and make him more realistic instead of a male model superman in semi-cartoon plots, they no longer have his stories to use.  Sure they have bits and pieces from the different novels that have yet to be filmed, but the plots have pretty much been used.  Now they have the daunting task of trying to make pseudo-Fleming plots that will hopefully do the character (and the author) justice.  I know, I know..they've did it in the past (YOLT, DAF  and everything after LALD), but as I said - that would do the character justice.  I know that's the reason I loved CR, because it was Fleming's story, but was just so so about QOS.  I actually thought both of Daltons entries were closer to Fleming plots than QOS (yes I know scenes were lifted from some of his books, and there were wincing puns) but most of the plot and dialogue had to be made up, whereas when I watched QOS, I knew none of this was Fleming.  That is what makes me a little uncomfortable about the future films.  I know they will try to maintain the high standards of the series, but it will be a daunting task to create plots in keeping with Fleming's writing.  It's why I loved the Jeremy Brett/Sherlock Holmes series and why I disliked almost every other Holmes film done before that.  Sure the other films used Doyles dialogue and most of the plots, but they often miscast the character or fiddled with it (and with Watson even worse), or made up stories never penned by Doyle.  Given this, I doing my best to keep in mind that Skyfall is Fleming's Bond rebooted but is also DC's Bond, and that they are trying to make his turn in the tux as unique and different from the past Bond's as they can (especially the Austin Powers type) while keeping the echoes of the past series from fading.  That is why I would be surprised to ever see Blofeld or SPECTRE again in any plot (which is why I believe they made up QUANTUM to replace it), unless they actually remade the ones his character was in.  If they ever do remake any of the Sixties films, I have a feeling it won't be until Craig's done his bit, or even perhaps not until the next actor who replaces the actor who comes after Craig.

Last edited by CmdrAtticus (14th Nov 2011 17:41)

Agree with everything you have written, CmdrAtticus.  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

David Schofield wrote:

Agree with everything you have written, CmdrAtticus.  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

I do to, I thought it was a well constructed piece. I just want to say that I am not anti reboot, or even anti Craig, as I have come to accept what a good job he has done of claiming the role. I would like to see a little more of his moral compass that which was emergent at the end of QOS.
My current view is that we were getting nicely set up for a fully realised and slightly more recognisable Bond next time out. Possibly slightly less of the really blunt instrument of QOS, and maybe our boy could even have a little fun now and then.  I have said before that if Bonds life is just misery he is not Bond but Bourne, and nobody in their right mind would want to be. 'that guy ' So I was not hoping for a reverse of the reboot, but an evolution and logical development.
Who knows, I still might get it. Recent (per press conf) shots of Daniel seemed promising and then we get the press conf...we still of course do not know the context, but those first shots almost seem perverse in the determination to show us grungy Bond. perhaps all will be well, maybe they'll use a wig, but my chief issue is reboot or not there is a point beyond which radical changes are not merely updating, but fundamental changes that call in to question whether this is still Bond.

zaphod wrote:
David Schofield wrote:

I do to, I thought it was a well constructed piece. I just want to say that I am not anti reboot, or even anti Craig, as I have come to accept what a good job he has done of claiming the role. I would like to see a little more of his moral compass that which was emergent at the end of QOS.
My current view is that we were getting nicely set up for a fully realised and slightly more recognisable Bond next time out. Possibly slightly less of the really blunt instrument of QOS, and maybe our boy could even have a little fun now and then.  I have said before that if Bonds life is just misery he is not Bond but Bourne, and nobody in their right mind would want to be. 'that guy ' So I was not hoping for a reverse of the reboot, but an evolution and logical development.
Who knows, I still might get it. Recent (per press conf) shots of Daniel seemed promising and then we get the press conf...we still of course do not know the context, but those first shots almost seem perverse in the determination to show us grungy Bond. perhaps all will be well, maybe they'll use a wig, but my chief issue is reboot or not there is a point beyond which radical changes are not merely updating, but fundamental changes that call in to question whether this is still Bond.

Find it hard to comment on the shots of Craig: we really don't know what context or timeframe they are in. Besides, they aren't particularly clear, to my short-sighted eye, at least.  ajb007/wink

But I do agree 100% that Craig-Bond needs to cheer up and enjoy himself this time round. Whether Mendes CV indicates he is the man to do this is a not entirely clear. But if Craig and Mendes can't give us the "classic" Bond to which they refer - which I assume is a modern take on the GOLDFINGER/THUNDERBALL version - then it will be curtains for Craig-Bond, and no 7 will be a more Brosnanesque type.

Mr Beech wrote:

The beard is so he can use tons of grooming product placement products for some clean up shots in his hotel upon returning to London.

What you mean like a quick add of product to his beard, a moisturise then a look to the camera and a pouty "....because I'm worth it....."

ajb007/lol

She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony

idk...im a huge fan of all the previous Bonds and of this one as well..i'm enjoying the ride and Craig's take so far.  in a way i think it would be let down to have another film in the 'familiar' mold so soon. 

and yes, i'd love to be Craig's Bond...hello!!?? Vesper??!!!

I agree, it would be too early,  but the new film could use a lightening up a bit.  A few more "lighter" moments with Craig actually enjoying it.  The bantering scenes he had with Giannini and Greene in CR, and with Giannini and Arterton in QOS were for me some of the most enjoyable parts of the films.  If they put more like those in - even more than were in CR without sacrificing the seriousness of the other scenes, I think it would make a better film.

Last edited by CmdrAtticus (14th Nov 2011 18:07)

I just saw the first films last week, and decided that when it comes to bringing in some "lightness" to it, something like a Goldfinger would still be too soon for Craig to pull off.  It would have to be more like Dr. No or FRWL, I think.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mean I want him smirking and throwing out a quip after every bad guy he offs, or jauntily walking through the more serious scenes as if he wasn't in any real danger....he could do just one post killing quip.  The rest of the time it would be nice to see him teasing and irritating some of the "goons" in the film.

Last edited by CmdrAtticus (14th Nov 2011 18:17)