26

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

FYEO - Great character acting from Julian Glover and Topol, solid chase action, a back to basics movie filled with both realism and fun.

OP - One my personal favorite Cold War movies with fantastic stunts, tension, and great locations.

TLD - Nice precredit sequence, that last Barry score, good use of Euro settings make up for the disappointing second act and coda in Afghanistan and Tangiers.

NSNA - Barbara Carrera, Domination, that house in Monte Carlo with the funky steps some of the cool things about the disappointing NSNA.

LTK - does not feel Bondian to me. More a generic American hero/cop film.

27

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

[This message has been deleted at the request of the original poster]

Last edited by Wadsy (10th Nov 2016 22:28)

1. FYEO 2. TLD 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. OHMSS 6. TSWLM 7. GF  8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. DN 11. SP 12. MR 13. SF  14. CR 15. TB 16. LALD 17. GE 18. YOLT 19. TND 20. TMWTGG 21. TWINE 22. TND 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Lazenby 5. Craig  6. Brosnan

28

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

chrisisall wrote:

1.  Octopussy - not a great movie, but lots of flash, lots of colour, a decent hench-dude, lots of pretty women, basically a good over-the-top spy romp. It occupies the lowest rung on my acceptable Bond list.

2. The Living Daylights- Decent enough plot, Dalton tries hard, but he's just too excitable for me.

3. For Your Eyes Only- Stupid beginning, stupid end, and the middle isn't serious enough OR over-the-top enough.

4. Never Say Never Again- Boring for the most part.

5. A View to A Kill- Unnecessary.

6. License to Kill- Offensive in so very many ways. Felix all jovial on the phone at the end being maybe the worst of it.

The Eighties pretty much sucked for Bond, I'm afraid. ajb007/frown

wait…what?!???!!

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. GE 2. MR 3. TSWLM 4. GF 5. DN 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

29

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

chrisisall wrote:

2. The Living Daylights- Decent enough plot, Dalton tries hard, but he's just too excitable for me.
6. License to Kill- Offensive in so very many ways. Felix all jovial on the phone at the end being maybe the worst of it.

Evidence that he had taste and sense 11 days after signing up here.
From then on he went downhill all the way  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

30

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

80's is perhaps my favourite decade.

Great mix of all things Bond in these two, one more serious, and one sillier adventure
1. TLD
2. OP

3. FYEO
4. LTK - great movie but not really a Bond movie
5. AVTAK - still enjoyable but feels cheap

2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP

31

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

This is my rankings as of now but I am just about to rewatch all of these films in order so I strongly suspect it will change as does my preferences overall do over time.

1.TLD
2.FYEO
3.OP
4.AVTAK
5.LTK

I enjoy all five of them really though and it is close between some of the numbers.

"Mango, banana and tangerine. Sugar and ackee and cocoa bean!"

32

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

DR NO-ah wrote:

This is my rankings as of now but I am just about to rewatch all of these films in order so I strongly suspect it will change as does my preferences overall do over time.

1.TLD
2.FYEO
3.OP
4.AVTAK
5.LTK

I enjoy all five of them really though and it is close between some of the numbers.

I think mine is the same. TLD and FYEO are about equal for me and may switch.

33

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

Higgins wrote:
chrisisall wrote:

2. The Living Daylights- Decent enough plot, Dalton tries hard, but he's just too excitable for me.
6. License to Kill- Offensive in so very many ways. Felix all jovial on the phone at the end being maybe the worst of it.

Evidence that he had taste and sense 11 days after signing up here.
From then on he went downhill all the way  ajb007/biggrin

Sorry, I was still deep into my poly-dichloric-euthynol addiction. Once I cleaned up I saw the light.
ajb007/shifty

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

34

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

For me this was the best decade of James Bond, so it is very hard to rank them all. However, here they are.

1. For Your Eyes Only

Not only the best 80's Bond, but also my favourite in the series. This movie just did everything right for me such as it being a fresh take on the series and John Glen's directorial debut which was unavoidably excellent. Beautiful locations (arguably the best), best score by Bill Conti, best action scenes (car chase, ski chase, Albania chase), great villain (not the best but realistic and believable) and just so many pleasant surprises. My only flaw is the PTS and the way Blofeld goes out, it's not a really big thing as they didn't own the rights to his character in 1981. Aside that, I give the film a perfect 10/10.

2. The Living Daylights

Not far behind, and third on my overall rankings of Bond. Timothy Dalton was in my opinion, Ian Fleming's Bond and the greatest 007 we've ever had. In both of his portrayals he performed amazingly, and his movies were so awesome because of himself. While I found Koskov and especially Whittaker to be quite underwhelming, everything else in the film was just spectacular. You have Dalton's Bond, the diverse locations (Slovakia, Austria, Morocco and Afghanistan), John Barry's best and last score, great action scenes and a highly realistic and serious Bond. The PTS is the best introduction to a new 007, and while it can spend too long in Afghanistan, it is one amazing ride. 9/10.

3. A View To A Kill

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I love this movie. Although some may argue that Sir Roger had stuck around for two films too long, he went wonderfully here and something about this film - you know you're watching his last movie. Maz Zorin is my favourite villain of the series, and I loved the microchips plot even more than GF. The locations were also up there, with France and the nice San Francisco. Roberts was a good Bond girl, not one of the best but I enjoyed her presence. I like it how two of Bond's allies get killed this time (on all John Glen films his main ally dies), and I never got bored, not even with the horse plot in the first half. The climax is one of the best I've seen in film history, and it ends with a bang. If it had not been for the visible stunt doubles, and maybe Dalton's first Bond, this would have been at #1. 9/10.

4. Licence To Kill

I hate to put this one all the way at number four because I love it as well! I just prefer the other three a bit more over this. Timothy Dalton shines again at his absolute best once again, and the plot is perhaps the best we've had until the arrival of Daniel Craig. Bond goes rogue in this very Bondian adventure, which feels like it came out of an Ian Fleming book that was never made. Despite the fact that 'M' is a total reject in this film, 'Q' makes up for that and while the Bond girls aren't great, they work just fine. Sanchez and the tank chase with Bond is freaking outstanding! I love the ending, and while the locations are pretty weak, along with the lack of M16, this film gets a 9/10.

5. Octopussy

This is the only official 80's Bond film that didn't quite make the 9/10 range. It was Roger Moore's sixth performance, and the PTS is one of the best of the series, no doubt. What puts this in last place are the minor stupid things, such as the Tarzan yell which is clearly not Roger Moore shouting it out, and the second half of the movie - which kind of drags on in Berlin, Germany. Loved India, and the final plane sequence, and it follows the realistic style that Glen brought along in FYEO. Coming right after FYEO, it is quite a drop in quality, but I still love and enjoy it. Just not as much. 8/10.

1. FYEO 2. TLD 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. OHMSS 6. TSWLM 7. GF  8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. DN 11. SP 12. MR 13. SF  14. CR 15. TB 16. LALD 17. GE 18. YOLT 19. TND 20. TMWTGG 21. TWINE 22. TND 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Lazenby 5. Craig  6. Brosnan

35

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

Wadsy wrote:

For me this was the best decade of James Bond, so it is very hard to rank them all. However, here they are.

1. For Your Eyes Only

Not only the best 80's Bond, but also my favourite in the series. This movie just did everything right for me such as it being a fresh take on the series and John Glen's directorial debut which was unavoidably excellent. Beautiful locations (arguably the best), best score by Bill Conti, best action scenes (car chase, ski chase, Albania chase), great villain (not the best but realistic and believable) and just so many pleasant surprises. My only flaw is the PTS and the way Blofeld goes out, it's not a really big thing as they didn't own the rights to his character in 1981. Aside that, I give the film a perfect 10/10.

2. The Living Daylights

Not far behind, and third on my overall rankings of Bond. Timothy Dalton was in my opinion, Ian Fleming's Bond and the greatest 007 we've ever had. In both of his portrayals he performed amazingly, and his movies were so awesome because of himself. While I found Koskov and especially Whittaker to be quite underwhelming, everything else in the film was just spectacular. You have Dalton's Bond, the diverse locations (Slovakia, Austria, Morocco and Afghanistan), John Barry's best and last score, great action scenes and a highly realistic and serious Bond. The PTS is the best introduction to a new 007, and while it can spend too long in Afghanistan, it is one amazing ride. 9/10.

3. A View To A Kill

This is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I love this movie. Although some may argue that Sir Roger had stuck around for two films too long, he went wonderfully here and something about this film - you know you're watching his last movie. Maz Zorin is my favourite villain of the series, and I loved the microchips plot even more than GF. The locations were also up there, with France and the nice San Francisco. Roberts was a good Bond girl, not one of the best but I enjoyed her presence. I like it how two of Bond's allies get killed this time (on all John Glen films his main ally dies), and I never got bored, not even with the horse plot in the first half. The climax is one of the best I've seen in film history, and it ends with a bang. If it had not been for the visible stunt doubles, and maybe Dalton's first Bond, this would have been at #1. 9/10.

4. Licence To Kill

I hate to put this one all the way at number four because I love it as well! I just prefer the other three a bit more over this. Timothy Dalton shines again at his absolute best once again, and the plot is perhaps the best we've had until the arrival of Daniel Craig. Bond goes rogue in this very Bondian adventure, which feels like it came out of an Ian Fleming book that was never made. Despite the fact that 'M' is a total reject in this film, 'Q' makes up for that and while the Bond girls aren't great, they work just fine. Sanchez and the tank chase with Bond is freaking outstanding! I love the ending, and while the locations are pretty weak, along with the lack of M16, this film gets a 9/10.

5. Octopussy

This is the only official 80's Bond film that didn't quite make the 9/10 range. It was Roger Moore's sixth performance, and the PTS is one of the best of the series, no doubt. What puts this in last place are the minor stupid things, such as the Tarzan yell which is clearly not Roger Moore shouting it out, and the second half of the movie - which kind of drags on in Berlin, Germany. Loved India, and the final plane sequence, and it follows the realistic style that Glen brought along in FYEO. Coming right after FYEO, it is quite a drop in quality, but I still love and enjoy it. Just not as much. 8/10.

Not precisely MY ranking, but very respectable nonetheless.
Basically, they're all good!

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

36

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

For me, A View To A Kill and Licence To Kill are practically a tie in my overall rankings. While I also love From Russia With Love, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Spectre, it's the 80's that had the longest run of amazing consecutive Bond films so I tend to focus on them a lot more.

1. FYEO 2. TLD 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. OHMSS 6. TSWLM 7. GF  8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. DN 11. SP 12. MR 13. SF  14. CR 15. TB 16. LALD 17. GE 18. YOLT 19. TND 20. TMWTGG 21. TWINE 22. TND 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Lazenby 5. Craig  6. Brosnan

37

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

1. Licence to Kill
2. The Living Daylights
3. Octopussy
4. For Your Eyes Only
5. A View To A Kill

38

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

1. LTK
2. TLD
3. FYEO
5. AVTAK

Easily

39

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

1. LTK - Not a personal favorite, but should be ranked #1 just for having the guts to be the most violent and dark Bond film.

2. OP- This is probably my most watched Bond film just for pure entertainment value. Not a fan of some of the humor though.

3. AVTAK- Way underrated. A little uneven in parts, but overall one of the most solid Bond films.

4. NSNA - Great to see Connery back as Bond in a more watchable version of Thunderball.

5. TLD - The first half is near-perfect. The second half is almost a total loss. Bond is really out of his depth in Afghanistan.

6. FYEO - Fans of this film also seem to like Conti's soundtrack and the early 80's fashion.

Last edited by Firemass (13th Nov 2016 01:08)

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. GE 2. MR 3. TSWLM 4. GF 5. DN 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

40

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

I don't know if I like LTK or TLD best.  It depends on my mood.

YOLT

OP

AVTAK

41

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

Number24 wrote:

I don't know if I like LTK or TLD best.  It depends on my mood.

YOLT

OP

AVTAK

YOLT was such a bad 80's movie I wouldn't even include it on the list!

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

42

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

chrisisall wrote:
Number24 wrote:

I don't know if I like LTK or TLD best.  It depends on my mood.

YOLT

OP

AVTAK

YOLT was such a bad 80's movie I wouldn't even include it on the list!

It was way ahead of its time!  ajb007/biggrin

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

43

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

Silhouette Man wrote:
chrisisall wrote:
Number24 wrote:

I don't know if I like LTK or TLD best.  It depends on my mood.

YOLT

OP

AVTAK

YOLT was such a bad 80's movie I wouldn't even include it on the list!

It was way ahead of its time!  ajb007/biggrin

It was a GREAT 60's movie though... Aki... Helga... OMG......

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

44

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

1. THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS
Dalton's debut performance is his best. Barry gives us his best score too. The only issue I have is the weak villains.
2. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
Similarly, FYEO has weak villains,  but makes up for it with a great espionage plot, a beautiful Bond girl, a fantastic score by Conti, some great set pieces, and Moore, although starting to look a bit old, puts in a great perfomance, maybe his best.
3. OCTOPUSSY
A good balance of fun and more serious antics. Great villains, especially Kamal Khan, and Maud Adams works really well with Moore. The title song is weak and the score is pretty bland.
4. A VIEW TO A KILL
While the production values are low, Moore's showing his age, and the second half sags, there's no denying it's a fun film. Walken is a great villain, Barry's score is one of his best, and the banter between Bond and Tibbet is great. It used to be one of my favourites.
5. LICENCE TO KILL
I prefer Dalton's Bond to Moore's, the villains are wonderful, the extended time with Q is great, and Cary Lowell is a great Bond girl, but the film is too serious, Kamen's score is weak, and it feels too much like a generic action film than a Bond film.
.
.
.
.
6. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN
Shocking. Positively shocking.

1. CR 2 OHMSS 3. TSWLM 4. TLD 5. SF 6. GF
7. GE 8. FRwL 9. FYEO 10. LtK 11. DN 12. TMwtGG
13. AVtaK14. TB 15. OP 16. SP 17. TWiNE 18. TND
19. MR 20. LaLD 21. QoS 22. YOLT 23. DAD 24. DAF

45

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

^ Really good write up about the films. Have to agree with many of your points. I will say that I think Barry's score on the face of it isn't as bombastic as FYEO or AVTAK/TLD on either side of it - but it still has an iconic, deep Cold Warish sound.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

46

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

I think Barry's OP score is brilliant, from the main song being used as a great romantic theme throughout the score to the suspenseful action music, beautiful music at Octopussy's palace and great arrangement and frequent use of the James Bond Theme. And most importantly, the score serves the film very well by helping it feel like a proper James Bond film and cold war thriller, as heartbroken_mr_drax pointed out.

47

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

1. FYEO - Moore is in good form, his deeper and more muted performance is satisfying to watch. There are some excellent, tense scenes like the ATAC recovery, dragging behind the boat and the rock climbing that still stand-up well. The 2CV chase is brilliant irony and is about Bond's skill, much of the film is centred around his own wits, and isn't brash about that either. The casino scenes are some of the best in the series and the quality of the production is evident throughout. Conti's score adds a great, fresh atmosphere and Easton's title song is fantastic too.

2. TLD - I love the plot, it's intricate, classy and remains interesting as both a Cold War throwback and something that could still occur in different guises. Dalton's performance is exceptional and his falling in love with Kara is the most convincing "love-plot" in the series. The action set-pieces are excellent (Gibraltar in particular). I like the oddities of the villains and John Rhys Davies brings one of the best performances from a sub-character in the series. Barry's best work too.

3. OP - The most consistently entertaining Bond film, ever. Plus the best, balanced performance from Moore full of nuance, determination and true blockbuster material. The plot is brilliant and the film maintains its excitement all the way until the end (beating TLD on that front). Great villains, excellent locations, funny, serious - it has it all. Plus, it beat NSNA at the BO.

4. AVTAK - A recent viewing propelled this back into my top 10. AVTAK isn't perfect, but I can never articulate exactly why. Grace Jones is perfect as May Day, Moore puts in a charming swan-song performance and you cannot beat Duran Duran's title song. The plot never has a dull moment and the ending is satisfying. One of those Bond films that remains entertaining up on repeat viewings.

5. LTK - One of the least watched in my collection, but not ranked that lowly (16th). I don't find the revenge plot that satisfying, plus it's inconsistently humorous (bar fight, one liners) alongside its dark nature. David Hedison is an annoying actor and the film comes across as too Miami Vice. Dalton's performance is good, but I don't like this style of Bond. I find the film comes across as forgettable. Perhaps it will mature IMO with my age  ajb007/martini

Overall 4/5 of the 80s films feature in my top 10. It's easily my favourite decade. Great writing, good performances and Moore help.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

48

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

1. LTK - One of the finest Bond's ever.
2. FYEO - Moore's best Bond.
3. TLD - Too many Moore leftovers in this entry make this an average Bond.
4. AVTAK - Moore too old - terrible Bond girl - MacNee very good.
5. OP - Bond as a clown says it all.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

49

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

I guess this all depends on the quality of the film, whether it's campy or serious, production values, locations and a person's personal taste  ajb007/tongue

Last edited by Wadsy (14th Jan 2018 01:27)

1. FYEO 2. TLD 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. OHMSS 6. TSWLM 7. GF  8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. DN 11. SP 12. MR 13. SF  14. CR 15. TB 16. LALD 17. GE 18. YOLT 19. TND 20. TMWTGG 21. TWINE 22. TND 23. DAF 24. DAD

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Lazenby 5. Craig  6. Brosnan

50

Re: Ranking the Bond movies of the 80's

Always difficult to rank as with most of us on here our ranks change on a monthly if not weekly basis and we love all the Bond films but here goes anyway.

1. FYEO- Prefer the grittier Bonds and this was certainly one of them
2. LTK- Again grittier and loved Dalton's performance. Does feel a little too 80's action movie though
3. AVTF- Would be ranked higher if it wasn't for Stacey and Rog being a little too old. Some of the fight scenes are laughable and so obviously a stunt man.
4. TLD- A bit underwhelming but some good performance's from Dalton, John Rhys Davies and Thomas Wheately
5. OP - Again an enjoyable Bond film but just not as enjoyable as the ones above