Re: Best looking/handsome/attractive Bond 1-6

Personally I think the ability to portray a cold menace, actually have it come naturally rather than acting the 'tough guy', has always been the cornerstone of a good JB rather than conventional good looks.

A man who you can be pretty sure knows how to handle himself in real life & conveys it across the screen will have the edge any time.

Jag wrote:

Although, as Blackleiter noted elsewhere, some women like that.

Twisiting my words a bit there my friend! No bueno! ajb007/shifty

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Sir Miles wrote:
hot crossed bond wrote:

Really!? to the males that answered this, Bond would say "I would only be worried if you found me attractive!"

Not really...I would say we are all perfectly assured in our sexuality to be able to answer these questions...if you feel worried in doing so though...?...  ajb007/wink

ajb007/cheers

Blackleiter wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
hot crossed bond wrote:

Really!? to the males that answered this, Bond would say "I would only be worried if you found me attractive!"

Not really...I would say we are all perfectly assured in our sexuality to be able to answer these questions...if you feel worried in doing so though...?...  ajb007/wink

ajb007/cheers

I think there is a cricket in your glass...bottoms up

Last edited by hot crossed bond (18th Feb 2015 18:12)

I'm motivated by my duty

hot crossed bond wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

ajb007/cheers

Easy there, partner. Your insecurities are showing. ajb007/wink

Blackleiter wrote:
hot crossed bond wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:

ajb007/cheers

peace friend...it was only meant as a joke ajb007/wink  ajb007/cheers

I'm motivated by my duty

hot crossed bond wrote:
Blackleiter wrote:
hot crossed bond wrote:

peace friend...it was only meant as a joke ajb007/wink  ajb007/cheers

No worries. I'm good.

I think Craig turned out to be such a good actor that him ACTING good looking made him better looking. I think it is incredibly cool that the person really MOST people were panning as destined to be the ugliest Bond turned out to be so many women's favorite, including my own wife's.

I would probably put the list around this:

Brosnan>/Connery
Craig
Lazenby
Moore>/Dalton

(With >/ meaning a slight edge)

Craig isn't classically handsome like Brosnan, but I think his trademark pout has really lent great bravado to the role, and his machismo really exudes from his pores.

Looks matter a lot for first impressions, but after we get to know someone for a while, we tend to forget what they look like objectively and we kind of associate their face with who they are as a person.

It also depends on the role you're playing.  If you're tough and gritty, ugly is sexier and if Craig looked as pretty as Brosnan, his role may not have been so convincing.

Once in a while I try googling for images using different combinations of key words like, "handsome" "british" "convict" "inmate" "mugshots" "1950's" "sociopath" "murderer," etc., etc., but haven't found any photos worth talking about.  The one word that should be a constant, however, is "handsome," because undeniably, that is the most prominent trait of the character (followed by "cruel looking") conveyed by Ian Fleming over and over again in his books, in fact, "terribly handsome" as said by Tatiana Romanova.  Remove this important trait from the Bond in the movies and you don't really have Bond anymore, you'll just have another  Jason Statham or Matt Damon.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

superado wrote:

Remove this important trait from the Bond in the movies and you don't really have Bond anymore, you'll just have another  Jason Statham or Matt Damon.

Are they not handsome in ways?

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Funny enough, I wouldn't really consider any of the actors who played Bond "terribly handsome": Brosnan and Connery being the closest thing to it and Connery only for his first 2-3 outings. I agree that Bond should be good looking, but the interesting thing to me is that my perception of what that means changed a bit after Craig. I originally found him incredibly average and below that in looks, and my perception changed when I saw his performance. Now I list him close to the top - I think showing that looks and perception aren't ALL external factors.

thegreatgalling wrote:

Funny enough, I wouldn't really consider any of the actors who played Bond "terribly handsome": Brosnan and Connery being the closest thing to it and Connery only for his first 2-3 outings. I agree that Bond should be good looking, but the interesting thing to me is that my perception of what that means changed a bit after Craig. I originally found him incredibly average and below that in looks, and my perception changed when I saw his performance. Now I list him close to the top - I think showing that looks and perception aren't ALL external factors.

Connery and Brosnan are not terribly handsome..?? ajb007/confused

"Any of the opposition around..?"

How about nowadays?

Moore, Connery and Brosnan are all very handsome relative to their ages.  Dalton hasn't aged so well, and Lazenby aged like a sack of potatoes.

I think we need to define terribly handsome. As I said Brosnan and Connery come closest to the definition of the term in my head.

New list.

1. Sir Hilary Bray
2. Sir Hilary Bray
3. Sir Hilary Bray
4. Sir Hilary Bray
5. Sir Hilary Bray
6. Sir Hilary Bray

I guess "terribly handsome" is a much different and higher category than just plain handsome.  The big issue in trying to nail what this means is that, what's considered to be aesthetic pleasing changes not only among different groups (men vs. women, regional bias, maybe even socio-economic differences) but in changing standards of the times.  Case in point is Christian Bale, who many consider as the perfect incarnation of Batman and "handsome" Bruce Wayne, though I disagree and think he just ordinary handsome, or maybe not quite handsome but merely good looking, if that makes sense.

I've used this analogy before, but going back to elementary school, high-school, etc., do you remember when refering to specific kids, "oh, yeah, the handsome kid from Room 2.   Then I remember this Steve Martin movie, "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid," which was in b/w so that famous actors/actresses in certain scenes were spliced with the main film to make it a movie full of famous cameos; then in the scene with Cary Grant, Steve Martin's voiceover called him "handsome," which is the reputation he held in Hollywood in his time whether or not people today agree to those standards.  PB and RM immediately come to mind in fitting that handle, followed by SC and GL.  I don't think that TD was stand-out handsome and DC looks just like an average guy.

The trick, however, particularly having pretty boys like RM and PB in mind, is coming up with the perfect combination of "terribly handsome" with someone so cruel, piratical and ruthless enough to frighten Vivien Michaels in TSWLM enough with his appearance for her to think that Bond was another one of the cruel and hardened criminals who've been tormenting her in the deserted motel.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

I could be classed as 'Terribly handsome'  ajb007/shifty

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Craig. Girls do not care for handsome, at least not these days. They want sexy or at least hot,they like grit really and craig brings that to the table

It seems to be something that men, too, believe can somehow be distilled into a measurable, tangible thing.  I've read of scientists trying to concoct half-assed formulas for beauty, for instance -- they all seem to be men.  On the other hand, most women I know don't define attractive or handsome in some monolithic, prescriptive way.  I think that's why Barbara Broccoli saw something in Craig so many men in the room missed (as did Dana Broccoli with Sean Connery), as did so many fanboys later.  It's a combination of factors unique to the individual, regardless of resemblance to physical perfection, which itself can be culturally defined and reinforced through a limited set of repeated tropes.  And thank goodness for that, as that and pity, generosity, shamelessness, and morbid curiosity have gotten me my dates and relationships over the years.

I read somewhere that desirability comes from confidence. Which explains why
Some of the ugliest blokes end up with the most beautiful women.  Rich people
Seem very confident, must be why so many women end up with so many Rich
Old guys.  ajb007/wink

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

If I was a lonely female SMERSH clerk looking through files of British agents I would probably rank them as follows:

1. Pierce
2. Roger
3. Sean
4. Timothy
5. Craig
6. Lazenby

"Like any great artist, I want to create an undisputed masterpiece in my lifetime."

1. MR 2. TSWLM 3. GE 4. TND 5. DN 6. GF 7. TWINE 8.OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. LTK

To me, there's "macho" good looking, and "pretty" good looking.....Sean and George the former, Roger and Pierce the latter

Dalton"s somewhere in the middle .....Probably the best looking Bond in frontal view.....in profile, the slope of his nose takes away from his looks

I don't think Craig is that good looking, but lots of chicks I know go absolutely bonkers for him....

Connery can probably be considered 'Classically Handsome'

1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger

Probably Craig and Connery, both really rugged and masculine with animal magnetism.