How about a sense of humour?

Just noticed that the replica clapperboard thread has been closed. Not wanting to sound like a teething baby, so I'll keep things to the point.

1/ why was it closed? Was some material in it offensive?

2/ if it was offensive, why wasn't the offensive stuff removed and a simple explanation posted?

3/ I personally, as the starter of the thread, didn't have any issue people having a joke while they wait for the results of the draw to be posted. I often find some threads that go off on a tangent quite amusing. Ok so the **** thing has been done a bit now, but it's quite refreshing and some posts genuinely make me laugh, what's wrong with this?

4/ why would some friends having a joke put other people off posting their thoughts? Do the mods employ this same MO when out with their friends, ie do you not have a laugh down the pub in case it puts other off having a pint?

5/ put basically, in the words of the joker; "why do serious?"

In order to reveal the results of the draw for the clapperboards, I've now got to open a new thread, so ironically closing the original thread because a mod deemed it spam will now only result in a new thread being opened, which no doubt will be regarded as spam too, and probably closed also.

Why can't things be just left alone? Yes what was being said was off topic, but it wasn't offensive, so why couldn't it have been left to simply burn out on its own?

Sensible explanations please mod team, not starting a war or anything, but mi6.co.uk went down the pan due to over handed modding. Hope this isn't the start of it here :(
'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Comments

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Nice one Singe, I have taken offence to it being removed, other people can go off topic, but not us, Sir Miles use to join in, he is a great laugh, AJB007 is said to have the best knowledge on props, I wonder why that is?, as we are playing hardons, or what ever is mentioned, I am deleting my photobucket and will not post pics here again :D your loss going by my stats :p
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    No it's not overhanded moderating, but we are aware that people switch off and turn away from forums that tend to go down the nonsensical at more or less every turn. There's few mods interested in collecting, so we tend to stay out it of quite a bit, and it's only when things are brought to our attention that we tend to know what's going on - if anything, it has been under moderated.

There's nothing wrong with having a laugh, many threads do, but you will also notice that mods will step in when it strays far from topic. Go in the Skyfall room and you'll notice threads that we've merged, closed and diverted, or stepped in to say "Look guys, this no longer fits the description in the title". Generally, that's after a page or so of posts that have taken the topic awry, we don't crack the whip that harshly, in my opinion.

We all have to also remember that this is a family forum. The **** thing? Well, I didn't find it funny. It might be your sense of humour, but it's not really mine, and I know from what's been said that drew our attention to it that other people don't find it funny either. So consider your audience, and it's not always who's posting - indeed, people who are not members can read the threads and yes it can put them off registering. Besides, there is an Off Topic forum. If you want to talk nonsense with a specific bunch of people, let rip.

Closing the thread this time was harsh and I know it was harsh, but I did it to make a point as it has been pointed out on that forum before. It gets extreme to the point that the thread is lost, the topic is lost, and in the case of the entire mod team up until now, interest is lost.

It's unfortunate you feel the way you do, but there's a line - a fine one, I'm aware - of having a laugh and taking it just that bit too far. The more that forum is brought to our attention, the more it actually lets us down as a moderating team for not reigning it in a bit earlier. Hence the harsh action of closing the thread. There won't be a problem in future as long as you consider the wider world and know the proper place for talking rubbish.

And there's never going to be a place for **** jokes or bad language, for that matter, having noticed that our filter had failed on one expletive used.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Ok, fair do's.

I understand the whole family forum thing, sure. But also note that there's 2 sides to everything. What you might consider unfunny, whether it be offensive or not, some people might find it hilarious and rather welcoming. Who are you to decide what people should find entertaining?

I can understand that a forum must be moderated and yes some threads go way off topic.

How about an option to check when someone starts a thread? Say a 'please keep to the point' box so people can be made aware that the author of the thread does not want, or doesn't mind if thing get a little off topic?

And finally, how about simply editing out the off topic content of the clapper thread and reopening it so i can announce who gets offered one instead if having to open another thread?

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, what ever MR5, you obviously have your meter maid outfit on today :D
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    edited January 2012
    We don't crack the whip that harshly, in my opinion.

Some of you do and harshly indeed, like you said yourself. That's called Power. I don't understand why you need to close the whole thread and not just edit off topic stuff from it. There's many threads that go all the time off topic and it can continue without nothing being said.

The way i see this - it's intentionally targeted to some members of us, some of us who have brought loads of klowledge to this forum without anyone asking.

And obviously you're not a collector yourself, now aren't ya - like MG said, who are you to judge or decide what is funny, entertaining etc.

Teppo -{

Someone once said, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" also where has motto "live and let live" gone, eh?
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I read the thread when minigeff first started it. I thought the clapperboard was great but as I wasn't interested in adding it to my collection I left that particular thread and didn't go return...until today when I read of its closure. Like so many things in society, once something is banned it attracts way more attention than it may ever have enjoyed before if it had been left alone. If something is deemed offensive - whether a comment or an image - it should be removed. Closing an entire worthy thread because of one - or a series - of comments is not a wise solution if the main concern is not causing offence or blackening the name of the board and turning away current or future members.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    OK, let me talk as a contributor and not a moderator. . .I went into the thread after it was closed and I felt like I'd dropped in on the middle of a frat party. All the jokes were inside ones and there seemed to be a dirty undertone I just didn't get. (Example: I've been at AJB for nearly ten years and I don't get the "butt plug" stuff.) Again thinking as a contributor I said to myself, "What is this all about? And how does it relate to James Bond?" Yes, I realize there are esoteric interests here: I don't go into the Collecting and Games forums much because those aren't things I'm interested in; and there will always be groups of people who seem to "club" around. But, I dunno: a thread that seems to be nothing but a group of friends exchanging the same inside jokes and good-natured insults, and which immediately makes a newcomer to the discussion feel alienated and possibly unwelcome. . .it just doesn't seem appropriate. We used to have chat rooms at AJB and some have asked that they be restored. . .perhaps this recent blowup shows why we need it?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    sorry, but I think you are both wrong, go back, check my threads, most people have encouraged the **** thing :D i have had people that have pm me praising me for making the place light harted, no body EVER complained to me about it.

And Hardyboy, that is what we are in the props threads, a group of friends, :o maybe you guys should try it :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    closing the thread was an unnecessary demonstration of moderator power imho.

Maybe, there should be a mod. training how to use the forum "edit/delete function"? :D

....and just to add as my nationality was part of the jokes: I did not find THAT part offensive
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • nms75nms75 United KingdomPosts: 1,233MI6 Agent
    I find it interesting that a thread that a moderator did not find funny (but harmless) was shutdown YET a rather infamous thread about cufflinks (which had both the potential to cause the forum serious legal issues and lead to members being ripped-off) was allowed to continue FAR beyond a point it should have been removed? The former is, admittedly, a matter of your sense of humour but the latter was a blindly obvious serious problem which many members who posted could see yet the forum staff were indecisive.

Also if the forum staff do not want this level of banter in the threads then that is fine BUT please DO NOT then join in yourselves only to decide enough is enough. You say YOU didn't find the **** funny YET one of the moderators DID and joined in. Sending out the wrong signals I am afraid.

We all have differing views and opinions (that's the point of a forum) and that includes sense of humour. Those with a similar sense of humour will naturally swap banter in the threads with one another on a regular basis. Those who have a different sense of humour will either ignore it (preferred option) or gripe about it (non-preferred option). There are numerous threads where I think they content is not for meso I simply ignore it and move on to one that interests me - happy days! :D

Not wanting to be too harsh as being an Administrator or a Moderator is a thankless task and we must remember they are volunteers who try to help the forum run smoothly for no reward other than receiving flak from us. HOWEVER, I do hope the forum staff take some of my point above onboard.

NMS
    A sense of humour is no laughing matter!
    ...maybe we should re-register as new members to get equally treated... ;)

Any forum has to have an amount of banter otherwise it becomes sterile and boring leading to a short shelf-life. Restrict the banter too much and the forum dies. If people want something purely factual without the banter than you are better off replacing AJB with a Bond related Wiki for people to contribute to.

NMS
    :D hey guys, you don't really think I'm poking things up me bum do ya :D
  • 007 and a half007 and a half LondonPosts: 595MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

8-)
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

...well obviously not the clapperboard. That would be silly.
    I'm not one to judge such things ;%
    danjaq_0ff wrote:

...well obviously not the clapperboard. That would be silly.

Obviously, he doesn't want to get 'The Clap' does he? :o
    :D oh mind me asthma lmfao
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    :D oh mind me asthma lmfao

Don't have an asthma attack otherwise the thread will get locked :s
    nms75 wrote:
    I find it interesting that a thread that a moderator did not find funny (but harmless) was shutdown YET a rather infamous thread about cufflinks (which had both the potential to cause the forum serious legal issues and lead to members being ripped-off)

I had btw the chance to see the final "product" recently and calling them a rip-off would be VERY polite!

Bondtoys wrote:
    nms75 wrote:
    I find it interesting that a thread that a moderator did not find funny (but harmless) was shutdown YET a rather infamous thread about cufflinks (which had both the potential to cause the forum serious legal issues and lead to members being ripped-off)

I had btw the chance to see the final "product" recently and calling them a rip-off would be VERY polite!

Interesting - don't suppose you have a pic?
    I was not allowed to....

Bondtoys wrote:
    I was not allowed to....

Banter aside this is exactly what I feared would happen and it is something a number of members saw coming even fairly early on in the ill-fated project. Now, sadly, AJB members have suffered from it - both those who did and did not buy his cufflinks. As someone who wears TF suits and ties (he bragged about this in his posts) I fail to see why he needed the money 'up-front'.

I think we can all draw our conclusions about it...

NMS
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,416Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Maybe, there should be a mod. training how to use the forum "edit/delete function"? :D

Perhaps we have and that's why threads that may cause offence in a family forum are being closed.
    nms75 wrote:
    Also if the forum staff do not want this level of banter in the threads then that is fine BUT please DO NOT then join in yourselves only to decide enough is enough. You say YOU didn't find the **** funny YET one of the moderators DID and joined in. Sending out the wrong signals I am afraid.

That was me....

...did I find it offensive - no...did I find it funny - yes...but I've been reminded that this a family friendly fansite...so I'm even more in the wrong than you guys...

And I agree with your point that if you stifle banter then you lose something...and eventually people...I guess it's just a case of keeping the banter on the right side of the line...
    nms75 wrote:
    I find it interesting that a thread that a moderator did not find funny (but harmless) was shutdown YET a rather infamous thread about cufflinks (which had both the potential to cause the forum serious legal issues and lead to members being ripped-off) was allowed to continue FAR beyond a point it should have been removed?

I was alerted to that thread after it had started to get out of hand...so it was MY decision to keep it open...I spoke to several members of AJB - some off the forum too - about this project and which was the best course of action to take. I thought it best to keep the thread open as people had already parted with money and they deserved a place to ask questions and to hear answers...if I had closed the thread and/or deleted it then you would have complained of a cover up by AJB and that we were not helping....you see ? You can't win...
    nms75 wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I was not allowed to....

Banter aside this is exactly what I feared would happen and it is something a number of members saw coming even fairly early on in the ill-fated project. Now, sadly, AJB members have suffered from it - both those who did and did not buy his cufflinks. As someone who wears TF suits and ties (he bragged about this in his posts) I fail to see why he needed the money 'up-front'.

I think we can all draw our conclusions about it...

NMS

What did you fear would happen exactly ? It's unclear to me what you are alluding too....do you mean bondtoys not showing pics or people losing money ?
    YNWA 97
    What did I fear? Surely this is obvious? Members have been ripped-off. While it is difficult it is the duty of the forum staff to protect its members from online abuses carried out on the forum. I don't believe members interests were protected and the result was a negative for members.

Not sure why this seems unclear but hope the above helps.

NMS
    nms75 wrote:
    What did I fear? Surely this is obvious? Members have been ripped-off. While it is difficult it is the duty of the forum staff to protect its members from online abuses carried out on the forum. I don't believe members interests were protected and the result was a negative for members.

Not sure why this seems unclear but hope the above helps.

NMS

It was unclear because you quoted Bondtoys about not being allowed to post pictures...I was unsue if you were fearing censorship or people giving money to someone they didn't know and whom had only been at AJB a very short time.

Have members been ripped off ? Have you got proof of that ? I was in contact with a few people on that matter and the last I heard people had been refunded or decided to give the guy another try...if you know different ?

Without wishing to cause argument - I'm not really here for that - then we should stop ALL selling on AJB...do you want to tell minigeff he can't offer his clapperboards on here ? And would you like to tell Pete he can't sell anything on here either ? And the ebay thread will have to go...
    ...And wasn't all monies exchanged OFF site from AJB ? Perhaps I should come shopping with you and stop you buying ANY Bond merchandise that you may have heard of on AJB ? :s
    Okay...I'm really pushing the point...but I hope you can understand that it just isn't a black and white area...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles the only message I am getting from you is that you know better but I don't think you do. This could indeed become an argument but, as you, I have no intention of doing this. At this point it is probably best to agree to disagree but I think the management in certain parts of this forum could and should be improved.

This is a suggestions sub-forum and suggestions have been made. If you do not intend to accept the suggestions than that is fine but I have given my opinion and point of view which is as valid as anyone else's and backed up with some expericence.

I intend to leave this here and will not be making further posts on this matter.

NMS
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Who are you to decide what people should find entertaining?
    Si asked me just over 8 years ago to take a hand in keeping the site ticking over as part of a moderating team that grew in proportion to the site. And it has ticked over. Some other sites have had difficulty internally, we haven't (we've run up against it with EON themselves), the site has not had any down time, has the same "management/mod team" and has ticked by for 10 years with many very long standing members and still attracting new ones every week. So we're doing something right, in my opinion. Who am I to decide what people should find entertaining? No one. Though I am someone that has to use reasonable judgement in sticking to what AJB was set up to be. And it gets embarrassing when other people have to bring it to your attention.

And as an aside, as I've pointed out, if it were on the Off Topic forum, then other than butt plugs and expletives, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at what you were all discussing. Go in there and have a laugh with your mates at your heart's content. I do with mine on threads that are unrelated to Bond, and I do on threads that are related to Bond as well, but the laugh will be related to the the topic of the thread.

We're not asking anything of huge undertaking here, we're just pointing out that there really is a time and a place (Off Topic). We're not even warning anyone or threatening anyone with any action, far from it, we're just pointing out the right place to go - and yes my action was harsh in doing so, probably too harsh, I'll agree, and for that I'll hold my hand up and re-open the thread. But it was done to grab the headlines as we've neglected the forum and it was the firecracker it needed.

You might not like it, but there's the Collecting forum for talking collecting and the Off Topic for talking a load of old cobblers.
    unitedkingdom.png
    nms75 wrote:
    Sir Miles the only message I am getting from you is that you know better but I don't think you do.

That's all I've heard from you too...and you have not given a shread of proof...just accusations...and that's not acceptable.

nms75 wrote:
    This could indeed become an argument but, as you, I have no intention of doing this. At this point it is probably best to agree to disagree but I think the management in certain parts of this forum could and should be improved.

This is a suggestions sub-forum and suggestions have been made. If you do not intend to accept the suggestions than that is fine but I have given my opinion and point of view which is as valid as anyone else's and backed up with some expericence.

I intend to leave this here and will not be making further posts on this matter.

NMS

It only becomes an argument if you want it to be...I don't...I'm merely explaining the facts as I have them...and I'm perfectly capable of discussing this without it turning into one.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    It only becomes an argument if you want it to be...I don't...I'm merely explaining the facts as I have them...and I'm perfectly capable of discussing this without it turning into one.

Ok fair enough - I think our conversation on this issue is done anyway and I hope, even if you don't agree with some (or even most) of what I have said, it helps somewhere along the life of this forum.

I appreciate your concerns and pains - I have run three forums in total as an Administrator - two of which are still alive and kicking today - and I admit it can be a complete pain in the ass at times when members don't appreciate your hard work.

Anyway, back to Bond now for me.

NMS