Re: The Billy Reid Peacoat is a GO!

Finally got my BR peacoat '16 edition, black/dark navy delivered from the US, so I feel a short review could be in order.

I'm 5'7, 155 lbs on a good day; athletically built with broad shoulders and a small waist. Medium seems like a good size for me.

I'm so relieved the shoulders fit. Normally I look for a shoulder width of 18". This one measured exactly 17.75". I imagine the lack of a lining does help. Any narrower and it probably would have felt uncomfortable.

Pit to pit it measures 41" which is perfect for my 39.5" chest. Actually very similiar to the classic WW2 peacoats.

The constructon feels sturdy and I think it weighs about 4.40 lbs which leads me to believe the thickness is 26-28 oz per yard. To be honest I expected a somewhat softer wool, but at least this one will hold up for many years to come and not pill easily.

Last edited by DanielC (19th Jun 2018 19:42)

Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!

Just got my hands on a copy from the original run so now I have both the blend and the 100% wool.

The original, a medium, has a weird sizing. It's super short at only 27.15" from bottom of the collar to the hem. Luckily I'm only 5'6-5'7, but I'd rather have had the advertised 29". BR must include the top of the collar, otherwise the measurement would be quite off. The sleeves are also really short, almost two inches shorter than the blend. However, the arms are somewhat slimmer and looks better.

The wool is clearly softer, but I wouldn't say it's a major difference. It's not something that would put me off if I were to walk in to a store and choose between them.

I'll only be wearing the original at rare occasions as it doesn't feel as durable. The blend will be my go-to winter jacket. I believe BR did most people a favor when they changed to 80/20. For 695$ I'd expect such a material.

Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!

DanielC wrote:

Just got my hands on a copy from the original run so now I have both the blend and the 100% wool.

The original, a medium, has a weird sizing. It's super short at only 27.15" from bottom of the collar to the hem. Luckily I'm only 5'6-5'7, but I'd rather have had the advertised 29". BR must include the top of the collar, otherwise the measurement would be quite off. The sleeves are also really short, almost two inches shorter than the blend. However, the arms are somewhat slimmer and looks better.

The wool is clearly softer, but I wouldn't say it's a major difference. It's not something that would put me off if I were to walk in to a store and choose between them.

I'll only be wearing the original at rare occasions as it doesn't feel as durable. The blend will be my go-to winter jacket. I believe BR did most people a favor when they changed to 80/20. For 695$ I'd expect such a material.

Congratulations on being able to get a jacket from the original run. I would love to find one but like you i am concerned about the measurements especially the shoulders!

MikeG77 wrote:

Congratulations on being able to get a jacket from the original run. I would love to find one but like you i am concerned about the measurements especially the shoulders!

I'm overjoyed. The SA is a wee bit big in the shoulders and chest compared to my blend which looks tailor-made. As I age I'll fill out the SA better so I don't think I'll make any alterations.

I've been looking for a nice peacoat a long time and no one compares to BR.

Emporio Armani did have an appealing peacoat last winter which retailed at 800€ (I think) and went on sale for 380€. It's the only one I've seen that possibly could compete with the BR. Being made of 100% wool and with quilted lining, it would probably have been too warm. I think Bond would've approved of it though ajb007/smile A picture: https://images.lvrcdn.com/Big66I/3GC/00 … f99345.JPG

The lining (or lack of it) is really important to me since a breathable peacoat would be more versatile. I turned my eyes to the Australian market where they more often than not use bemberg (feels almost like silk). Very reasonably pricing when there are sales, but then there's shipping costs... An example: https://www.trenery.com.au/images/asset … coat-2.jpg

Daniel Love's replica of the BR would most likely be one of the best choices, if not the best, pricewise. Perhaps a new run this winter?

Hugo Boss had something going with the semi-lined Orange Branco, but it's from their budget line so it's not that classy as far as wool quality and color selection goes.

If anyone is looking for a dirty cheap option I'd wait for Combatant Gentlemen to present their AW18 peacoats which could give a sleek look. Definitely a step above H&M, Zara and the like, but below that of mid-range brands like Suitsupply and Club Monaco. Will probably be 100% wool, but questionable workmanship.

H&M actually had a peak lapel version last winter. It fitted really tight in the shoulders and was a bit too long. The outer pockets were  only made for the aesthetics and didn't provide any warmth. Comfortable rayon lining though. Not made for winter, only fall and spring.

oenone wrote:

Thanks for the prior advice all - XS was the right size for me!

The peacoat finally arrived and it is every bit as awesome as I was hoping it would be. I have just one (foolish) question:

There is an interior button on the left side of the coat that appears to fasten to the button hole on the right lapel. I was wondering

a) What is the point of this button? Is it just an extra way of securing the coat in place? Do people use this button?

b) Which side of the lapel are you supposed to fasten to the button? It appears that the button can go through either side of the lapel (ie. it can either go through the lapel while it is still 'folded', so the button is between layers of the coat, OR it can go through the lapel after 'unfolding' the lapel, so the button is between the inner part of the coat and whatever you have on underneath the jacket) without any difference in appearance, just wondering if there is a 'correct' way. Let me know if this is confusingly worded!

Thanks!

I can just speak for myself. There's no way I can fasten the inner lapel by unfolding it. The button is so tightely attached that I simply can't make it go through the hole that way.

I'm surprised you can actually button the lapel in two ways.

For anyone looking for a Billy Reid peacoat, I was perusing their current sale list and it looks like you can get the 80/20 Navy "Bond" peacoat only in size XXL for $347.50. Although XXL sounds big, I'm an athletic 6'2" 190lbs and wear an XL (at least as of their 2015 sizing). Looks to be "final sale" but if anyone's been looking for a deal I thought I'd pass it along.

https://www.billyreid.com/collections/t … 5072831532

Has it been discontinued? Or will there be another run when the cool weather months return? This is one of those purchases I kept putting off and now I'm worried I waited too long heh.

frommeyer wrote:

Has it been discontinued? Or will there be another run when the cool weather months return? This is one of those purchases I kept putting off and now I'm worried I waited too long heh.

Being one of their best selling pieces, I couldn't imagine it would be totally discontinued.  They release different versions of it periodically - diff blends of wool and one time even a cashmere version.  Don't sleep on it next time you see them, great coat for winter.

km1fdm wrote:
frommeyer wrote:

Being one of their best selling pieces, I couldn't imagine it would be totally discontinued.  They release different versions of it periodically - diff blends of wool and one time even a cashmere version.  Don't sleep on it next time you see them, great coat for winter.

Ok, good. And, yeah, I'll grab one in the fall. I live in Chicago and donated a lot of outerwear, including my mediocre J.Crew peacoat, earlier this year. Can't not have a peacoat here.